Re: [Clip] I'm finally learning something here .....

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
      Hugo Paulissen wrote:
      >> Just asking, what in the formula signifies 'any character, but not
      >> space'. The references I have indicate the \s should be \S,
      > capital.
      >> Does something else alter that rule.
      >>
      >> \s any space (same as [ \t\n\r\f])
      >> \S a non space
      >>

      > HRS,
      >
      > I wrote it down from the top of my head, so maybe you're right, but
      > if I look it up in the helpfile (the plain .chm one, I mean) I cannot
      > see that \S is a non space...
      >
      > I normally use the [^character] for these constructions. "If the
      > first symbol following the [ is a caret (^) then a negative character
      > class is specified. In this case, the string matches all characters
      > EXCEPT those enclosed in the brackets. For example, [^a-z] matches
      > everything except lower case characters (and newlines)."
      >
      > Bye,
      >
      > Hugo

      I see what you mean, NoteTab doesn't support \S for a non-space
      character. If I understand, the way you're using \s, within brackets,
      [^\s], the caret is actually becomes a 'NOT' operator.

      I assume that would work whenever a back-slash is preceded by caret
      within brackets. If so, that could be a handy device to keep in mind.

      ºvº
      05.08.17
      hrs > hsavage@...