Re: [Clip] [OT] Deleting a file with an odd name

  • Chris Laarman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2005
      John (junja@...), Sunday, August 14, 2005 8:22 AM

      > Those spaces were in fact binary zeroes not space
      > characters (code 00 not 020h or 32d) - which makes
      > the filename completely illegal and unuseable.
      >
      > Norton's equivalent of scandisk dealt with it by
      > replacing the zeroes with $s, which turned it into
      > a normal filename, deletable by normal means.

      If you are familiar with wildcards at the command prompt, you can stick to
      the normal means.

      If you have a file INVALIDFILENAME.EXT
      you could make it accessible by opening that directory in a command prompt
      window ("DOS box"), and perform
      REN I*.EXT 0.*
      (or whatever temporary filename you prefer for the target, as long as it
      does not interfere with other files in that directory), and the file will
      now be named 0.EXT.
      Then you can perform
      DEL 0.EXT
      in the command prompt window, then close it by performing EXIT.
      But you could perform the Delete step in the Explorer now.

      I'm sorry that my first contribution here must be off-topic.
      (I recently joined both the Basic and the Clips list to be inspired to use
      NoteTab more often.)

      --
      Chris Laarman
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2005
        Chris Laarman wrote:
        > John (junja@...), Sunday, August 14, 2005 8:22 AM
        >
        >> Those spaces were in fact binary zeroes not space
        >> characters (code 00 not 020h or 32d) - which makes
        >> the filename completely illegal and unuseable.
        >>
        >> Norton's equivalent of scandisk dealt with it by
        >> replacing the zeroes with $s,
        >
        > If you are familiar with wildcards at the command prompt, you can
        stick to
        > the normal means.

        Chris,

        "Normal means" is exactly the first step I and the other respondent, Mr.
        Phillip Sand Hansel II, tried when we discovered the
        'foldername/filename' couldn't be deleted by the file manager!

        "Normal means" crapped out, so we had to look elsewhere.

        > If you have a file INVALIDFILENAME.EXT
        > you could make it accessible by opening that directory in a command
        prompt
        > window ("DOS box"), and perform
        > REN I*.EXT 0.*
        > (or whatever temporary filename you prefer for the target, as long as it
        > does not interfere with other files in that directory), and the file will
        > now be named 0.EXT.
        > Then you can perform
        > DEL 0.EXT
        > in the command prompt window, then close it by performing EXIT.
        > But you could perform the Delete step in the Explorer now.
        >
        > I'm sorry that my first contribution here must be off-topic.

        I have XP Pro in my case , I'm not sure which OS Phillip has, none of
        the normal means, scandisk - defrag - power cycle, in Windows or in a
        DOS box worked. I didn't have access to other 3rd party utilities,
        can't speak for Phillip.

        The relatively simple answer at the following link did the trick, you
        might want to record it for future use.

        http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081

        This thread has nothing to do with clips so let's take it to the
        OffTopic list. Subscribe if you aren't already a member;

        ntb-offtopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        ºvº
        05.08.14
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • John
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2005
          Thanks for the tip. When I said "illegal and
          unuseable", though, I meant that nothing in the
          usual armory can touch them.
          John