Re: [Clip] Find-Replace four characters of which two might be random

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2005
      Hi Carol. Welcome aboard - you've made the first big step by figuring out
      how to join the clips list in additon of the regular list :-|

      > How could I do this? Would a clip-program be ideal?
      Yes it will be!

      Its probably just a simple one-line replace statement using a *very* simple
      reqexp that is required but it's tough to tell without an example.

      > Can anybody give me a steer? Is my example sufficient?

      I've got an idea what's going on and your description is perfectly adequate.
      > *** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify
      > me first. ***

      Attachements aren't allowed on this list anyway!

      Could you zip together three example files and put the zip file in the
      yahoo-groups file section? Its neccessary to check whether these are
      "ordinary" files with a funny characters or are (say) UTF-16 which will
      require corrective action first.

      If they are "ordinary" you could put "^...." in the Find box, "xxxx " in the
      Replace box and tick [x] Regular expressions in the Replace dialog.

      Expressed in a clip as:
      H="fix crap"
      ^!replace "^...." >> "xxxx " RWSAIT

      Approximately how many of these files do you have to fix. ie. is it tens,
      hundreds or thousands? The answer will determine what kind of answer you
      require.

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2005
        BIG blush - nothing like being a week late replying to a post geared
        to help me out so immensely! Sorry about that; if you don't want to
        be busy, don't RETIRE!

        At 23:04 05-08-06 -0400, Alec Burgess wrote:

        >Hi Carol. Welcome aboard - you've made the first big step by
        >figuring out how to join the clips list in additon of the regular
        >list :-|

        Umm; thanks! Wasn't that hard, since both groups are listed, and I
        have, at least, been around Yahoo groups for a time. Very useful
        things, they are!

        > > How could I do this? Would a clip-program be ideal?
        >Yes it will be!

        Oh, goodie; step number one!

        >Its probably just a simple one-line replace statement using a *very*
        >simple reqexp that is required but it's tough to tell without an
        >example.

        Yeah; I'd guess that's what it would be. I know NOTHING of regexp.
        Nothing at all. I'd have to copy or parrot, rather than try to figure
        it out, most likely!

        > > Can anybody give me a steer? Is my example sufficient?
        >
        >I've got an idea what's going on and your description is perfectly
        >adequate.
        > > *** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify
        > > me first. ***
        >
        >Attachements aren't allowed on this list anyway!

        Umm yeah, I checked. I try to avoid groups that permit attachments;
        those can be hazardous to a machine's health, even when reasonably
        protected. I leave the notice there, though, because some of the
        groups I frequent have posters who can't handle an email client, and
        use stuff like Incredimail or something like that - and the Yahoo
        group strips the attachments, but if they email you privately, you
        get all that stuff! So I actually do strip - not attachments, though
        my ISP is working on making that possible, but entire emails - refuse
        them if they're not in plain text. Supposedly I get a postmaster
        notice, so I could whitelist an address, but that seems not to be
        working right now. If it's not an inconvenience to the group, I'll
        leave the signature there; too easy for me to forget to change it.
        (Please let me know if it's an inconvenience!)

        >Could you zip together three example files and put the zip file in the
        >yahoo-groups file section? Its neccessary to check whether these are
        >"ordinary" files with a funny characters or are (say) UTF-16 which will
        >require corrective action first.

        Aha! They should be mostly in plain text, but with those
        approximately (not always) four ?binary? bytes that start the YARN
        files. They're not even UTF-8, far less UTF-16, which I just heard of
        for the first time ever in your post!

        >If they are "ordinary" you could put "^...." in the Find box, "xxxx
        >" in the Replace box and tick [x] Regular expressions in the Replace
        >dialog.

        WOW! I think I see what you're driving at! I keep trying to re-save
        the files in Note Tab, and those characters are still there, yet I
        can't see that they're in any way plain text - oh; I think they're
        control characters - ASCII 0-27 (did I count wrong? yes; umm - 0-31
        decimal?)

        (See what parroting does - well, I once knew a little of this stuff
        but I'm old, and it escapes me fast, and this is a situation where
        approximation won't do very well, haha!)

        Regexp might, but I'm totally ignorant about that, and not
        mathematically-minded.

        >Expressed in a clip as:
        >H="fix crap"
        >^!replace "^...." >> "xxxx " RWSAIT

        I think maybe my Eudora quoting is partly messing that up; not sure.

        Still, I should sort of get the idea. I can't yet read the docs,
        though I downloaded a few things and got them into a library!
        (following directions). Wow!

        >Approximately how many of these files do you have to fix. ie. is it
        >tens,
        >hundreds or thousands? The answer will determine what kind of answer
        >you
        >require.

        Its probably hundreds, maybe well over a thousand.

        >Regards ... Alec
        >--
        >; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

        That's cute. Looks like something regexp-ish! in a way.

        And I'm too wordy; sorry - so I'm providing the Yahoo number of my
        original question to replace Alex's quote of it: it's message #
        14099, posted on the date shown just above.

        (for anybody who downloads mail in individual messages, the
        Return-path contains three sets of digits separated by hyphens; the
        middle set relates to the Yahoo message number, and varies from group
        to group in just how MUCH it varies. Here, currently, the message
        number is 3092 greater than the number in the middle between the
        hyphens, if you follow me. Yes, I'm a Group Nerd. Sort of by accident.

        Haha.

        This information is probably only helpful for people trying to locate
        the original message from the group web site; Yahoo search is so bad,
        but if you plug in the Yahoo message number for a specific post, then
        you can find it fast.

        (I've only tested this a few times, but it does seem consistent
        within any one Yahoo group.) And my Eudora lets me paste the Yahoo
        message number into its message index, and even into the body of the
        already-downloaded message.

        Next time, I'll try to stick closer to the single topic - just coming
        off a huge project that isn't done yet, but the hardest part is
        through, I think / hope.

        Love Note Tab Pro, and my friend does, too!

        Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:33:30
        Carol Whitney
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        *** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify me first. ***