Re: [Clip] snag url and selection and save to file

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23 6:37 PM
      d_offen wrote:
      > I like the suggestion to use the url snag extension in firefox, but
      > find the clip that was suggested a while ago on this forum is more
      > adaptable and therefore more useful.
      >
      > I have two versions which I use quite extensively. One uses the
      > original clip suggested but highlights and copies the second line of
      > the document (usually the title) and opens up the save function. I
      > then only have to do a paste of the title and check where it is being
      > saved and click ok. I use a button on the clip bar to activate the
      > clip after hightlighting a passage in the browser.
      >
      > I tried to get some way to automatically paste the title into the save
      > field but couldn't get it to do it. I'm not very good at clips. Can
      > anyone clean up my clip and add that function? I would like to keep
      > the manual save option so I can select different directories if
      > necessary.
      >
      > ^!FocusApp *Mozilla*
      > ^!Keyboard CTRL+C
      > ^!ClipBoardSave
      > ^!Keyboard ALT+D CTRL+C
      > ^!ActivateApp
      > ^!Keyboard CTRL+N
      > ^!InsertText {^$GetClipboard$}^%nl%^%nl%
      > ^!ClipBoardRestore
      > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipboard$^%nl%^%nl%^P
      > ^!Set %WrapStatus%=^$IsWordWrap$
      > ^!SetWordWrap 0
      > ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+HOME
      > ^!Jump +2
      > ^!KEYBOARD SHIFT+END
      > ^!Keyboard CTRL+C
      > ^!SetWordWrap ^%WrapStatus%
      > ^!Keyboard SHIFT+CTRL+S
      >
      > The second option is to use this slightly modified clip to use the
      > above notetab as a pasteboard for more selections from firefox.
      >
      > I then hit the save file button to update the saved document with the
      > additions.
      >
      > These two clip buttons save me a lot of time and headaches. Thanks for
      > putting in the original clips.
      >
      > Doug

      Doug,

      Could you give us a sample of one of your saves, so we can more clearly
      see the url and text and where you get the title/filename from that
      selection.

      Also, if I understand correctly, you use the first clip for the initial
      save then, the second clip for subsequent saves during the same session
      so that all saves are in a single file. True/False

      ºvº
      05.07.23
      hrs > hsavage@...
    • d_offen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 25 7:01 AM
        > Are all saves going to the same folder?

        Usually they are saved in a particular folder when I am researching a
        single topic, but I change that folder or create new ones as I move to
        other topics. Notetab remebers the last saved in folder so it is a
        quick visual check to see if I am in the correct folder before hitting
        save.

        > If so, one suggestion for the
        > first clip is to hard-code the path. (Change line 1 to suit yourself.)
        > Another suggestion is to avoid, when possible, operating NoteTab via
        > the Keyboard command.

        Thanks for that tip. I tried not using the keyboard commands, but
        couldn't get the syntax correct or something.

        > hsavage will have an improved, one-line version, and Jody will have
        > done the same thing in 1973 but it's now lost under an avalanche of

        Thanks for your reply

        Doug
      • d_offen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 25 7:20 AM
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
          > d_offen wrote:
          > > I like the suggestion to use the url snag extension in firefox, but
          > > find the clip that was suggested a while ago on this forum is more
          > > adaptable and therefore more useful.
          > >
          > > I have two versions which I use quite extensively. One uses the
          > > original clip suggested but highlights and copies the second line of
          > > the document (usually the title) and opens up the save function. I
          > > then only have to do a paste of the title and check where it is being
          > > saved and click ok. I use a button on the clip bar to activate the
          > > clip after hightlighting a passage in the browser.
          > >
          > > I tried to get some way to automatically paste the title into the
          save
          > > field but couldn't get it to do it. I'm not very good at clips. Can
          > > anyone clean up my clip and add that function? I would like to keep
          > > the manual save option so I can select different directories if
          > > necessary.
          > >
          > > ^!FocusApp *Mozilla*
          > > ^!Keyboard CTRL+C
          > > ^!ClipBoardSave
          > > ^!Keyboard ALT+D CTRL+C
          > > ^!ActivateApp
          > > ^!Keyboard CTRL+N
          > > ^!InsertText {^$GetClipboard$}^%nl%^%nl%
          > > ^!ClipBoardRestore
          > > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipboard$^%nl%^%nl%^P
          > > ^!Set %WrapStatus%=^$IsWordWrap$
          > > ^!SetWordWrap 0
          > > ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+HOME
          > > ^!Jump +2
          > > ^!KEYBOARD SHIFT+END
          > > ^!Keyboard CTRL+C
          > > ^!SetWordWrap ^%WrapStatus%
          > > ^!Keyboard SHIFT+CTRL+S
          > >
          > > The second option is to use this slightly modified clip to use the
          > > above notetab as a pasteboard for more selections from firefox.
          > >
          > > I then hit the save file button to update the saved document with the
          > > additions.
          > >
          > > These two clip buttons save me a lot of time and headaches.
          Thanks for
          > > putting in the original clips.
          > >
          > > Doug
          >
          > Doug,
          >
          > Could you give us a sample of one of your saves, so we can more clearly
          > see the url and text and where you get the title/filename from that
          > selection.

          I get a file of the selected text with the URL at the top. The second
          line which is usually the tiltle is highlighted and copied to the
          clipboard. The clip then opens the save function which defaults to the
          last folder used for saving. The highlighted text (title) is then
          pasted into the save as field by using CTRL+V manually. I check the
          folder for location and then hit save.

          When the save window comes up the cursor is flashing in the field for
          save as and the highlited text in the field is "NoName01.txt". I find
          the clip a great time saver and would like to include the insertion of
          the title from the clipboard as part of it. Then all I would have to
          do is a visual check and click save.

          > Also, if I understand correctly, you use the first clip for the initial
          > save then, the second clip for subsequent saves during the same session
          > so that all saves are in a single file. True/False

          True. The first clip opens a new document and goes to the save
          function. Sometimes if it is a news article or such I will leave that
          as the whole document.

          However if I am gathering info from say a forum or bits and pieces of
          quotes from several sources or URLs but on the same topic, I use the
          second clip. It doesn't open a new file. It adds the highlighted text
          (and collects the URL) to the active file and puts in a separator
          ----> . It acts similar to the pasteboard function already in notetab,
          but collects the URL too. When I am finished collecting I hit the save
          tab and it is all saved under the original document title.

          Hope that helps.

          Thanks for responding

          Doug
        • Mark B.
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "d_offen" <d_offen@y...> wrote:
            > The second line which is usually the tiltle is highlighted
            > and copied to the clipboard. The clip then opens the save
            > function which defaults to the last folder used for saving.
            > The highlighted text (title) is then pasted into the save as
            > field by using CTRL+V manually. I check the folder for
            > location and then hit save.
            >
            > When the save window comes up the cursor is flashing in the
            > field for save as and the highlited text in the field is
            > "NoName01.txt". I find the clip a great time saver and would
            > like to include the insertion of the title from the
            > clipboard as part of it. Then all I would have to do is a
            > visual check and click save.

            Was this ever answered?

            The document to be saved has the focus in NoteTab, and it's never been
            saved before, and the title-cum-filename, without extension, is on the
            Clipboard. Is that correct? If so, try this if you want:

            ^!RenameDoc ^$GetClipboard$.txt
            ^!Menu File/Save As
          • d_offen
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Mark B." <breaumark@y...> wrote:
              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "d_offen" <d_offen@y...> wrote:
              > > The second line which is usually the tiltle is highlighted
              > > and copied to the clipboard. The clip then opens the save
              > > function which defaults to the last folder used for saving.
              > > The highlighted text (title) is then pasted into the save as
              > > field by using CTRL+V manually. I check the folder for
              > > location and then hit save.
              > >
              > > When the save window comes up the cursor is flashing in the
              > > field for save as and the highlited text in the field is
              > > "NoName01.txt". I find the clip a great time saver and would
              > > like to include the insertion of the title from the
              > > clipboard as part of it. Then all I would have to do is a
              > > visual check and click save.
              >
              > Was this ever answered?
              >
              > The document to be saved has the focus in NoteTab, and it's never been
              > saved before, and the title-cum-filename, without extension, is on the
              > Clipboard. Is that correct?

              Correct. The line used for the filename is highlighted and copied to
              the clipboard. The save as dialogue box opens but I can't figure out a
              way to paste the clipboard text into the save as field, except to
              manually ctrl+S. Which works, but is one more function that might be
              handled by the clip.

              >If so, try this if you want:
              >
              > ^!RenameDoc ^$GetClipboard$.txt
              > ^!Menu File/Save As

              Tried that and it just showed as an unsaved document (little red
              symbol) with the filename pasted into the tab. It wasn't saved and the
              save as or save commands did nothing. It was like the save commands
              were frozen. I don't know if it actually was saved because I couldn't
              find the save path anywhere.

              Thanks for all your help guys. The clip I use now saves the
              highlighted text and the URL and copies the title to the clipboard and
              opens the save as window. The extra clicks to paste in the filename is
              not a big deal and certainly not worth extra time and the effort you
              guys are putting into it.

              Thanks again

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "d_offen" <d_offen@y...> wrote:

                > Tried that and it just showed as an unsaved document (little red
                > symbol) with the filename pasted into the tab. It wasn't saved and
                the
                > save as or save commands did nothing. It was like the save commands
                > were frozen. I don't know if it actually was saved because I
                couldn't
                > find the save path anywhere.

                Sorry. Seems to work fine here (WinXP Home, NoteTab 4.95). One problem
                with this method is that the Save As dialog doesn't open if the file
                name contains illicit characters. You could correct the file name
                before renaming the doc, or you could launch Save As manually in those
                cases.

                Nothing is saved automatically. The only saving is done manually from
                the Save As dialog.