add files to a zip

  • Phillip Sand Hansel II
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2005
      Am I being rude by asking too many questions? I do not mean to break
      etiquette, but you have helped me to automate what were manual processes and
      given me more time to wonder about alternative solutions to other problems.

      My quest is to archive critical project data parameter files that relate to
      the processing of well logs with an application called PowerLog. It is all
      about processing well logs, or about doing it more efficiently.

      http://philliphansel.com/well_logs/

      If you go up a level from there you will find that I am a helpful guy and a
      subject matter expert; just in a different subject (3D via VRML).

      Quest:

      I have a folder with a bunch of single well project folders in it (thanks
      for making that happen faster). It has a zipped file in it that is uniquely
      identified (*_w.zip).

      My current process is to manually rename the file (*_pl.zip), then manually
      select and drag and drop the several filetypes into the archive, then drag
      that zip file to a different folder.

      Restated:

      In a folder called this...
      C:\PROJECT\a2dtechspec\working\1521404_17725406950000

      I have a zip archive called this...
      17725407200000_1521403_w.zip

      I want to rename it this...
      17725407200000_1521403_pl.zip

      and then put all files that end with these filetypes into the archive...
      *.TXT;*.SFT;*.SPL;*.JRN;*.DAT;*.HDR;*.MDB;*.PSM

      and then move that archive to another folder...
      C:\powerlogzips\temp_pl

      I've worked on it quite a while and this is what I've come up with so far...
      I feel that I am close but confused. I swear I won't ask another question
      for a month.

      ==============

      ^!SetScreenUpdate 0

      ; Source directory (actually one of many that need backing up
      ; need to fetch all folders in a particular folder to work on)
      ; Prompts for source path, new path may be manually entered when clip is run
      ^!SET:dirpath "^?(T=D)Folder to
      archive=C:\PROJECTa2dtechspec\working\1521404_17725406950000"

      ; Where to archive gets written to.
      ^!SET:destfile "^?(T=D)Archive file
      name=C:\powerlogzips\temp_pl\1521404_17725406950000.zip"

      ;Path to winzip on my machine
      ^!SET:winzippath "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE"

      ; run winzip, minimized, add a series of filetypes, output to a new
      location.
      ^!^%winzippath% -min -a "^%destfile%" "^%dirpath%*.txt" "^%dirpath%*.sft"
      "^%dirpath%*.spl"
      ^!Wait

      ^!INFO: Backup created to ^%destfile%

      ===============

      Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
      http://philliphansel.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2005
        Hi Phillip,

        >Am I being rude by asking too many questions?

        No, especially since you are trying to learn the coding and not
        just trying to get people to build Clips all the time for you.

        > My quest is to archive critical project data parameter files that relate to
        >the processing of well logs with an application called PowerLog. It is all
        >about processing well logs, or about doing it more efficiently.
        >
        >Quest:
        >
        >I have a folder with a bunch of single well project folders in it (thanks
        >for making that happen faster). It has a zipped file in it that is uniquely
        >identified (*_w.zip).
        >
        >==============
        >
        >^!SetScreenUpdate 0
        >
        >; Source directory (actually one of many that need backing up
        >; need to fetch all folders in a particular folder to work on)
        >; Prompts for source path, new path may be manually entered when clip is run
        >^!SET:dirpath "^?(T=D)Folder to
        >archive=C:\PROJECTa2dtechspec\working\1521404_17725406950000"
        >
        >; Where to archive gets written to.
        >^!SET:destfile "^?(T=D)Archive file
        >name=C:\powerlogzips\temp_pl\1521404_17725406950000.zip"
        >
        >;Path to winzip on my machine
        >^!SET:winzippath "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE"
        >
        >; run winzip, minimized, add a series of filetypes, output to a new
        >location.
        >^!^%winzippath% -min -a "^%destfile%" "^%dirpath%*.txt" "^%dirpath%*.sft"
        >"^%dirpath%*.spl"
        >^!Wait
        >
        >^!INFO: Backup created to ^%destfile%

        I don't know if it is just typos, but you need to use brackets or braces for
        your wizards such as:

        ^?[(T=D)Folder to
        archive=C:\PROJECTa2dtechspec\working\1521404_17725406950000]

        ^?{(T=D)Folder to
        archive=C:\PROJECTa2dtechspec\working\1521404_17725406950000}

        You can move and rename files with:

        ^!MoveFile "Source" "Destination"
        ^!RenameFile "Source\old.exe" "New\Filename.exe"

        Also, check out my FtpZip for some ideas using WinZip and Ws_Ftp.

        http://www.notetab.net
        http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
        http://www.notetab.net/zip/ftpzip.zip

        http://www.sojourner.us/software
      • Phillip Sand Hansel II
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2005
          I eagerly read your note and downloaded the winzip utilities for Notetab.

          After much futzing around, I discovered that the line command option is
          apparently not supported in WinZip8.0 (which is what I've got). There is a
          downloadable line interface for WinZip9.0 (which I do not think I will buy).

          Do you know if I can use a similar approach with the XP built-in zip
          compression utility? (It is licensed from WinZip). I read a bunch about it,
          but everything was about dragging and dropping... I could not even find the
          actual XP command name to test out a line command interface.

          I modified some of your WinZip Clip to do what I thought was needed to put
          certain filetypes into a zip file. It silently fails. Probably another
          punctuation error (if not the fact that winzip8 can't run line commands).

          ------------------

          ^!SetScreenUpdate 0

          ; Source directory (actually one of many that need backing up; need to fetch
          all folders in a particular folder to work on)

          ; Prompts for path, new path may be manually entered when clip is run
          ^!SET:dirpath "^?[(T=D)Folder to
          archive=C:\PROJECTa2dtechspec\working\1521404_17725406950000]"

          ; Where to archive gets written to.
          ^!SET:destfile "^?[(T=D)Archive file
          name=C:\powerlogzips\temp_pl\1521404_17725406950000.zip]"

          ;Path to winzip on my machine
          ^!SET:winzippath "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE"

          ; run winzip, minimized, add a series of filetypes, output to a new
          location.
          ^!^%winzippath% -min -a "^%destfile%" "^%dirpath%*.txt" "^%dirpath%*.sft"
          "^%dirpath%*.spl"
          ^!Wait

          ^!Wait
          ^!INFO: Backup created to ^%destfile%
          --------------------

          Thanks in advance,
          Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
          http://philliphansel.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 18, 2005
            Hi Phillip,

            It worked for me with the WinZip 8.0 and commandline interface.
            It either comes with it or there should be a free version. I'm
            using WinZip 9 SR-1 now and it still works and I did not pay
            extra for the command-line utility. We have to go off topic list
            or private eMail with this now.