Newbie silly question; mkdir from list

  • Phillip Sand Hansel II
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 12, 2005
      Greetings:

      I am trying to more easily make a set of directories from a series of API
      numbers (unique identifiers).

      I get email asking me to process a set of well and make a list like this....

      60802400030000
      60804401720000
      60804401740000
      60804401750000

      I would like to make a folder for each number in a certain project
      directory.

      I read the help and think I understand some of it, but can not seem to
      implement my idea. I have read many of the past posts and do not readily see
      the answer. Here is what I have come up so far, but it does not seem to
      work. It is an infinite loop. :-(

      H="MKDIR"

      ;will prompt user for path once it works
      ^!Set %dirpath%="C:\PROJECT\a2dtechspec\working\"

      ; always start at the top of the document
      ^!Jump DOC_START

      ;Beginning of loop
      :StartLoop
      ^!Set %foldername%="^$GetWord$"
      ^!MKDIR ^%dirpath%^%foldername%
      ;EXIT THE LOOP WHEN WE ARE AT END OF FILE
      ^!If ^%row% = ^$GetLinecount$ END ELSE StartLoop

      ;***************************
      ; attempting to do....
      ; ^!MKDIR C:\PROJECT\a2dtechspec\working\1505689_17725407100000
      ; ^!MKDIR C:\PROJECT\a2dtechspec\working\1505693_42711407960000
      ;etc...

      Thanks in advance,
      Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
      http://philliphansel.com
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 12, 2005
        Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
        > Greetings:
        >
        > I am trying to more easily make a set of directories from a series of
        API
        > numbers (unique identifiers).
        >
        > I get email asking me to process a set of well and make a list like
        this....

        > 60802400030000
        > 60804401720000
        > 60804401740000
        > 60804401750000
        > I would like to make a folder for each number in a certain project
        > directory.
        >
        > I read the help and think I understand some of it, but can not seem to
        > implement my idea. I have read many of the past posts and do not
        readily see
        > the answer. Here is what I have come up so far, but it does not seem to
        > work. It is an infinite loop. :-(

        Phillip,

        Here is a copy of your clip 'tweaked'. It performs as you want using a
        list of numbers/words. The only provisos are, to have at least one
        blank line at the bottom of the name list, and you can only ^!MkDir one
        folder level at a time. If the target folder exists that isn't a problem.

        H="Mk dir"
        ; will prompt user for path once it works
        ^!Set %dirpath%=^?{(T=D)Pick the
        TargetFolder=C:\PROJECT\a2dtechspec\working\}

        ; always start at the top of the document
        ^!Jump 1

        ; beginning of loop
        :LOOP
        ^!Set %foldername%=^$GetLine$
        ^!MkDir "^%dirpath%^%foldername%\"
        ^!Jump +1
        ; exit the loop when we are at end of file
        ^!If ^$GetRow$ > ^$GetTextLineCount$ END ELSE LOOP

        ºvº
        05.07.12
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 13, 2005
          hsavage wrote:
          > Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
          >> Greetings:
          >>
          >> I am trying to more easily make a set of directories from a series of
          > API
          >> numbers (unique identifiers).
          >>
          >> I get email asking me to process a set of well and make a list like
          > this....
          >>
          >> 60802400030000
          >> 60804401720000
          >> 60804401740000
          >> 60804401750000
          > Phillip,
          >
          > Here is a copy of your clip 'tweaked'. It performs as you want using a
          > list of numbers/words. The only provisos are, to have at least one
          > blank line at the bottom of the name list, and you can only ^!MkDir one
          > folder level at a time. If the target folder exists that isn't a
          problem.

          Phillip,

          This is a 're-tweaked' version of your clip. This clip requires only
          that the target folder pre-exists, doesn't require a blank line at
          bottom of name list.

          This clip, as the last one, will accommodate paths with spaces included
          in the names.

          I changed your example list like this;

          608024 00030001
          608044 01720002
          608044 01740003
          608044 01750004

          the clip works fine.

          H="Mkdir"
          ; prompts user for path
          ^!Set %dirpath%=^?{(T=D)Pick the
          TargetFolder=C:\PROJECT\a2dtechspec\working\}
          ; jumps to top of document
          ^!Jump 1
          ; begins loop
          :LOOP
          ^!Set %lastrow%=^$GetRow$
          ^!Set %foldername%=^$GetLine$
          ^!MkDir "^%dirpath%^%foldername%\"
          ^!Jump +1
          ; exit loop at end of file
          ^!If ^$GetRow$=^%lastrow% END
          ^!If ^$GetRow$ > ^$GetTextLineCount$ END ELSE LOOP

          ºvº
          05.07.13
          hrs > hsavage@...
        • Phillip Sand Hansel II
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 13, 2005
            Thanks for correcting my punctuation errors in the 1st one, I was
            surprisingly close. The second one is more elegant and works like a charm. I
            don't want to tell you how many times I've used cut & paste and "windows
            shortcuts" to make folders. This makes 10 in the time it used to take me to
            make one.

            Thank you for helping me to learn how this is done.

            Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
            http://philliphansel.com
            TargetFolder=C:\PROJECT\a2dtechspec\working\}
            ; jumps to top of document
            ^!Jump 1
            ; begins loop
            :LOOP
            ^!Set %lastrow%=^$GetRow$
            ^!Set %foldername%=^$GetLine$
            ^!MkDir "^%dirpath%^%foldername%\"
            ^!Jump +1
            ; exit loop at end of file
            ^!If ^$GetRow$=^%lastrow% END
            ^!If ^$GetRow$ > ^$GetTextLineCount$ END ELSE LOOP

            ºvº
            05.07.13
            hrs > hsavage@...

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 13, 2005
              I get I/O Error 123 with this clip from hsavage whether MKDir directory is within quotes or not. If the
              folder has to be there in the first place, what is the point of ^!MkDir which is to make a directory?

              ^!Set %dirpath%=^?{(T=D)Pick the target folder=C:\Documents and Settings\}
              ; Start at the top of the document
              ^!Jump 1
              ;
              :LOOP
              ^!Set %lastrow%=^$GetRow$
              ^!Set %foldername%=^$GetLine$
              ^!MkDir ^%dirpath%^%foldername%
              ^!InsertText ^%dirpath%^%foldername%
              ^!Jump +1
              ^!If ^$GetRow$=^%lastrow% END
              ^!If ^$GetRow$ > ^$GetTextLineCount$ END ELSE LOOP

              Adrian Worsfold

              http://www.pluralist.co.uk
            • Phillip Sand Hansel II
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 13, 2005
                I didn't get an error, it just worked. Maybe the email split a line that
                needs to be rejoined? (it did for me, but I caught it).

                Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
                http://philliphansel.com
                >I get I/O Error 123 with this clip from hsavage whether MKDir directory is
                >within quotes or not. If the
                > folder has to be there in the first place, what is the point of ^!MkDir
                > which is to make a directory?
                >
                > ^!Set %dirpath%=^?{(T=D)Pick the target folder=C:\Documents and Settings\}
                > ; Start at the top of the document
                > ^!Jump 1
                > ;
                > :LOOP
                > ^!Set %lastrow%=^$GetRow$
                > ^!Set %foldername%=^$GetLine$
                > ^!MkDir ^%dirpath%^%foldername%
                > ^!InsertText ^%dirpath%^%foldername%
                > ^!Jump +1
                > ^!If ^$GetRow$=^%lastrow% END
                > ^!If ^$GetRow$ > ^$GetTextLineCount$ END ELSE LOOP
                >
                > Adrian Worsfold
                >
                > http://www.pluralist.co.uk

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 13, 2005
                  Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold wrote:
                  > I get I/O Error 123 with this clip from hsavage whether MKDir
                  directory is within quotes or not. If the
                  > folder has to be there in the first place, what is the point of
                  ^!MkDir which is to make a directory?

                  > ^!Set %dirpath%=^?{(T=D)Pick the target folder=C:\Documents and
                  Settings\}

                  > Adrian Worsfold

                  Adrian,

                  I pasted your line from your email reflecting 'C:\Documents and
                  Settings\' into the clip and it worked perfectly. If you don't have a
                  wrapped line as Phillip suggests maybe it's something to do with the OS.

                  I have WinXP Pro, I don't know what Phillip has. What is your OS? If
                  it happens to be OS related it can probably be corrected with a couple
                  of strategically positioned 'double quotes'.

                  To answer the question, why do we need ^!MkDir, the initial request from
                  Phillip was to make multiple subfolders in a certain project directory
                  using a list of API numbers he acquires somewhere. I assumed, from his
                  email, the target folder already existed, and, his clip was designed to
                  make subfolders in that existing target folder.

                  ºvº
                  05.07.13
                  hrs > hsavage@...
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 13, 2005
                    Hi Phillip,

                    I didn't study your Clip, but try using ^!DOS MkDir "..." or
                    something like that. I'm just going off the top of my head.
                    You don't have to have the parent folders already built that
                    way.

                    We lost power and phone during Hurricane Dennis. I don't know
                    when they will be restored, hopefully not as long as Ivan last
                    year when it was out for 10 days.

                    >I am trying to more easily make a set of directories from a series of API
                    >numbers (unique identifiers).
                    >
                    >I get email asking me to process a set of well and make a list like this....
                    >
                    >60802400030000
                    >60804401720000
                    >60804401740000
                    >60804401750000
                    >
                    >I would like to make a folder for each number in a certain project
                    >directory.
                    >
                    >I read the help and think I understand some of it, but can not seem to
                    >implement my idea. I have read many of the past posts and do not readily see
                    >the answer. Here is what I have come up so far, but it does not seem to
                    >work. It is an infinite loop. :-(
                    >

                    >H="MKDIR"
                    >
                    >;will prompt user for path once it works
                    >^!Set %dirpath%="C:\PROJECT\a2dtechspec\working\"
                    >
                    >; always start at the top of the document
                    >^!Jump DOC_START
                    >
                    >;Beginning of loop
                    >:StartLoop
                    >^!Set %foldername%="^$GetWord$"
                    >^!MKDIR ^%dirpath%^%foldername%
                    >;EXIT THE LOOP WHEN WE ARE AT END OF FILE
                    >^!If ^%row% = ^$GetLinecount$ END ELSE StartLoop
                    >
                    >;***************************
                    >; attempting to do....
                    >; ^!MKDIR C:\PROJECT\a2dtechspec\working\1505689_17725407100000
                    >; ^!MKDIR C:\PROJECT\a2dtechspec\working\1505693_42711407960000
                    >;etc...
                    >

                    >Thanks in advance,
                    >Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
                    >http://philliphansel.com

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

                  • Bob McAllister
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 13, 2005
                      Try adding a ^$StrTrim to the line that creates the variable name, so
                      that it reads.
                      ^!Set %foldername%=^$StrTrim(^$GetLine$)$

                      I was also getting an I/O error report (in my case 161) and guessed it
                      was some (invisible) junk on the line being grabbed.

                      Bob

                      On 7/14/05, Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold <change@...> wrote:
                      > I get I/O Error 123 with this clip from hsavage whether MKDir directory is within quotes or not.

                      > ;
                      > :LOOP
                      > ^!Set %lastrow%=^$GetRow$
                      > ^!Set %foldername%=^$GetLine$
                      > ^!MkDir ^%dirpath%^%foldername%

                      > Adrian Worsfold
                      >
                      > http://www.pluralist.co.uk

                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 13, 2005
                        Bob McAllister wrote:
                        > Try adding a ^$StrTrim to the line that creates the variable name, so
                        > that it reads.
                        > ^!Set %foldername%=^$StrTrim(^$GetLine$)$
                        >
                        > I was also getting an I/O error report (in my case 161) and guessed it
                        > was some (invisible) junk on the line being grabbed.
                        >
                        > Bob

                        Philip, Adrian, Jody and Bob,

                        Here is the latest incarnation of the clip Phillip needs.

                        Thanks to Jody for the reminder about the ^!Dos command, and thanks to
                        Bob for the suggestion of ^$StrTrim("")$, just in case the list has
                        extra spaces in some of the lines.

                        I took ^$StrTrim("")$ a step further and used it when creating a new
                        target folder with 'Mkdir', just in case you accidentally bump the
                        spacebar after typing a new target folder.

                        The ^!Delay seems to be necessary to allow creation of a completely new
                        target folder, you can try it without the delay if you like.

                        The clip now doesn't seem to have any restrictions, it works fine for
                        me, how about you.

                        H="Mkdir"
                        ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                        ; prompts for path, new path may be manually entered when clip is run
                        ^!Set %dirpath%=^?{(T=D)Pick the TargetFolder=C:\PROJECT\a2d tech
                        spec\working\}
                        ; creates dirpath if it doesn't exist
                        ^!IfPathExist "^%dirpath%" SKIP_2
                        ^!Dos MkDir "^$StrTrim(^%dirpath%)$"
                        ^!Delay 2
                        ; jumps to top of document
                        ^!Jump 1
                        ; begins loop
                        :LOOP
                        ^!Set %lastrow%=^$GetRow$
                        ^!Set %foldername%="^$StrTrim(^$GetLine$)$"
                        ^!MkDir "^%dirpath%^%foldername%\"
                        ^!Jump +1
                        ; exit loop at end of file
                        ^!If ^$GetRow$=^%lastrow% END
                        ^!If ^$GetRow$ > ^$GetTextLineCount$ END ELSE LOOP

                        ºvº
                        05.07.14
                        hrs > hsavage@...
                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 14, 2005
                          hsavage wrote:

                          > I took ^$StrTrim("")$ a step further and used it when creating a new
                          > target folder with 'Mkdir', just in case you accidentally bump the
                          > spacebar after typing a new target folder.
                          >
                          > H="Mkdir"
                          > ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                          > ; prompts for path, new path may be manually entered when clip is run
                          > ^!Set %dirpath%=^?{(T=D)Pick the TargetFolder=C:\PROJECT\a2d tech
                          > spec\working\}
                          > ; creates dirpath if it doesn't exist
                          > ^!IfPathExist "^%dirpath%" SKIP_2
                          > ^!Dos MkDir "^$StrTrim(^%dirpath%)$"
                          > ^!Delay 2
                          > ; jumps to top of document
                          > ^!Jump 1
                          > ; begins loop
                          > :LOOP
                          > ^!Set %lastrow%=^$GetRow$
                          > ^!Set %foldername%="^$StrTrim(^$GetLine$)$"
                          > ^!MkDir "^%dirpath%^%foldername%\"
                          > ^!Jump +1
                          > ; exit loop at end of file
                          > ^!If ^$GetRow$=^%lastrow% END
                          > ^!If ^$GetRow$ > ^$GetTextLineCount$ END ELSE LOOP

                          Philip, Adrian, Jody and Bob,

                          After further testing I have a recommended change to 1 line of the clip,
                          change this;

                          ^!Dos MkDir "^$StrTrim(^%dirpath%)$"

                          to this;

                          ^!Dos MkDir "^%dirpath%"

                          Under certain conditions, at least it did for me, it can create a
                          subfolder with no name that you can't delete. I've tried several things
                          but I'll take suggestions of ways to delete this folder.

                          ºvº
                          05.07.14
                          hrs > hsavage@...
                        • John
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 15, 2005
                            hsavage wrote:

                            > Under certain conditions, at least it did for
                            me, it can create a
                            > subfolder with no name that you can't delete. I've tried several things
                            > but I'll take suggestions of ways to delete this folder.

                            Have you tried looking at it in dos?
                            The name of the folder might consist of a space
                            character or some other one which is invisible in
                            windows - like chr 160 (#0a0) - but which may be
                            visible in dos.
                            If its name is chr 160, in dos you'd want the
                            command:

                            del Ç

                            It's odd that windows can't delete it though ..
                            John
                          • Phillip Sand Hansel II
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 15, 2005
                              Thank you for revisiting this. I did have a blank line at the end of my
                              first list and did make a directory that I do not have the privilege to
                              delete. :-( I considered it a hard learned lesson and vowed to never do it
                              again. Thanks to your update, I can use those brain cells for something
                              else.

                              And thanks to the list.

                              Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
                              http://philliphansel.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 15, 2005
                                Hi John,

                                >> Under certain conditions, at least it did for me, it can create
                                >> a subfolder with no name that you can't delete. I've tried
                                >> several things but I'll take suggestions of ways to delete this
                                >> folder.

                                Try closing NoteTab first, then go to Windows Explorer (or My
                                Computer) and try to delete it. Chances are Windows has it in
                                lockout (Fault Protection System - I think it is called). Once
                                NoteTab closes it should not be locked out anymore.

                                http://www.sojourner.us/software
                              • Ian Rastall
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 15, 2005
                                  On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:46:47 -0500, you wrote:

                                  >Once NoteTab closes it should not be locked out anymore.

                                  Hey Jody. I have this problem from time to time. If the OP has opened
                                  or saved something in that directory, NoteTab will keep its thumb in
                                  there. He has to go in and open / save to a different directory first.

                                  Hope you are well,

                                  Ian
                                  --
                                  Was it not a comedy, a strange and stupid
                                  matter, this repetition, this running around
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 16, 2005
                                    Well I have two computers and two operating systems. There is XP pro and Windows 95. The test
                                    was done on XP pro. I'll obviously look at it further too.

                                    Adrian Worsfold

                                    http://www.pluralist.co.uk
                                  • Phillip Sand Hansel II
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 20, 2005
                                      >>...it can create a subfolder with no name that you can't delete. I've
                                      >>tried several things...

                                      I too have a folder I can not rename nor delete. I've gone to a DOS window
                                      and tried to rmdir with quotes around the name and adding various amounts of
                                      blank spaces at the end (before the close quote). Didn't work. I figure it
                                      may be a tab or cr/lf at the end of the name, but can not seem to trick DOS
                                      into accepting a return in the line command.

                                      I've modified the code so (as below) it won't happen again, but does anyone
                                      know how I might deal with this bad folder? (I've tried ignoring it, but it
                                      bothers me still. :-)

                                      Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
                                      http://philliphansel.com

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 20, 2005
                                        Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
                                        >>> ...it can create a subfolder with no name that you can't delete. I've
                                        >>> tried several things...
                                        >
                                        > I too have a folder I can not rename nor delete. I've gone to a DOS
                                        window
                                        > and tried to rmdir with quotes around the name and adding various
                                        amounts of
                                        > blank spaces at the end (before the close quote). Didn't work. I
                                        figure it
                                        > may be a tab or cr/lf at the end of the name, but can not seem to
                                        trick DOS
                                        > into accepting a return in the line command.
                                        >
                                        > I've modified the code so (as below) it won't happen again, but does
                                        anyone
                                        > know how I might deal with this bad folder? (I've tried ignoring it,
                                        but it
                                        > bothers me still. :-)
                                        >
                                        > Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II

                                        Phillip,

                                        We probably should take this exchange to the OffTopic list since it no
                                        longer relates to clips, though a clip started it. I'm going to CC this
                                        to OffTopic now for future exchanges.

                                        It really bugs me too, having a file or folder that can't be deleted.
                                        I've been searching for an answer by Google-ing 'cannot delete', still
                                        no answers but, here's a URL that I'm investigating now, you might try
                                        it also.

                                        http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081

                                        ºvº
                                        05.07.20
                                        hrs > hsavage@...
                                      • dave
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 22, 2005
                                          Hi
                                          I have gone to real DOS and it worked. not a dos window.
                                          THANKYOU DAVE