Re: [Clip] Copying NoteTab light files on to a new computer.

  • Richard Hole
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2005
      Hi Ian,

      Thanks for your letter.

      In c\Program Files\NoteTab Light\Libraries I could not see any folders.
      There was an icon named "Richard.clb" but a message stated that Windows
      could not open the file. What type of file or folder should I look for?
      I could not see any files with the name that I named my clips.

      Your help is appreciated,

      Regards Richard.

      Ian Rastall wrote:

      >On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:28:57 +1000, Richard wrote:
      >

      >>I have bought a new computer and want to copy over the clips I saved in
      >>NoteTab light on the old computer. Where do I find these clips and what
      >>folder do I look in?
      >>

      >Hi Richard. Go to Program Files > Note Tab > Libraries, and find the
      >library files that you altered.
      >
      >HTH
      >
      >Ian

    • Richard Hole
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2005
        Hi Ian or whoever can help,

        Thanks for your letter.

        I sent this a similar letter soon after you replied, but I never saw it
        go out to my address on the list, so you may not have received it. Did
        you receive it and if not what is the likely email transmission problem?
        I am not sure if I should contact my server or if the problem was with
        the server I sent it to. The letter I resent below is also updated. I
        have added two more paragraphs.

        In c\Program Files\NoteTab Light\Libraries I could not see any folders.
        There was an icon named "Richard.clb" but a message stated that Windows
        could not open the file. What type of file or folder should I look for?
        I could not see any files with the name that I named my clips.

        What is the best way to install NoteTab Light on to another computer so
        that I will see all the files from my old computer? Should I downloaded
        the latest version from the website and replace the Libraries folder
        that is generated on the new computer with the Libraries folder that is
        on the old computer so that the saved clips will appear in the correct
        place on my new computer? Or should I replace the whole NoteTab Light
        folder?

        Is NoteTab light still free like it was about a year ago? The other
        option is I could copy the executable file from the old computer on to
        the new computer and install the version that is about a year old, if
        there is no advantage of installing the latest version. What do you think?

        Your help is appreciated,

        Regards Richard.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2005
          Hi Richard,

          >In c\Program Files\NoteTab Light\Libraries I could not see any
          >folders. There was an icon named "Richard.clb" but a message
          >stated that Windows could not open the file. What type of file or
          >folder should I look for? I could not see any files with the name
          >that I named my clips.

          You will not see Clips as a file, they are part of the *.clb
          files like your Richard.clb which are normally found in NoteTab's
          Libraries folder. However, unless you deleted them you should see
          a lot more there. If you open NoteTab and the Clipbook Library
          (F4) that is where the Libraries are viewed and the items in them
          are called Clips. at the top you will see a combo box with a pull
          down arrow. Drop the list open and you'll see the names to all
          the Libraries that you have. It is possible that you moved them
          all to a certain location and put a path to them in Options |
          Advanced | Support Files Location. Go to View | Options and under
          the View tab, make sure you have, Show Advanced Features checked
          if you do not see the Advanced tab.

          >What is the best way to install NoteTab Light on to another
          >computer so that I will see all the files from my old computer?
          >Should I downloaded the latest version from the website and
          >replace the Libraries folder that is generated on the new
          >computer with the Libraries folder that is on the old computer so
          >that the saved clips will appear in the correct place on my new
          >computer? Or should I replace the whole NoteTab Light folder?

          I would burn the whole NoteTab folder structure to CD, zip drive
          or whatever you have that will hold that amount of data. If you
          only have a floppy drive, you can at least get your CLB files
          onto a floppy disk. Test or install to your new computer before
          you delete from the old. I would zip up the whole folder
          structure, but again, unzip to your new computer before
          destroying the old. If you are backing up from Win98 and maybe
          some other flavors of Windows, all the files might get marked
          read-only. If that happens, there is an easy fix, just write back
          to the list if it does.

          I would install NoteTab Light 4.95 directly over the copy you
          drag/drop or unzip to your new computer. That will make all your
          shortcuts, etc. If you install to the same location as your old
          installation you'll have a better chance of not having to
          reconfigure things like Tidy HTML. Note, that your Favorites may
          need to be redone, because paths will most likely change, but
          maybe not all. You can edit the paths in NoteTab though by
          opening the NoteTab.fvr file in NoteTab.

          >Is NoteTab light still free like it was about a year ago?

          Yes.

          >The other option is I could copy the executable file from the old
          >computer on to the new computer and install the version that is
          >about a year old, if there is no advantage of installing the
          >latest version. What do you think?

          Yes, you do not have to upgrade unless you want to. In fact, you
          probably have the most recent version if you only got it a year
          ago.

          If you use it that much and like it that much to be posting here,
          why not just buy the Std or Pro version while it is still
          inexpensive? :) http://www.notetab.net http://www.fookes.us/redir
          You'll be most happy you did. If you do decide to buy, check out
          this comparison chart first: http://www.notetab.net/html/chart.htm

          Happy Tab'n,
          Jody Adair

        • Richard Hole
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2005
            Hi Jody,

            Thanks for your letter.

            My computers are networked together so I do not have to zip anything or
            burn anything to a CD. The old computer has Windows 2000 and the new one
            has Windows XP.

            Would the easiest way for me be to copy the entire NoteTab folder from
            the old computer and paste it into the "Program Files" folder of the new
            computer and after that I could double click on the NoteTab.exe icon
            already in the NoteTab folder to install the program?

            Your help is appreciated,

            Regards Richard.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2005
              Hi Richard,

              >Thanks for your letter.

              You are most welcome!

              >My computers are networked together so I do not have to zip
              >anything or burn anything to a CD. The old computer has Windows
              >2000 and the new one has Windows XP.
              >
              >Would the easiest way for me be to copy the entire NoteTab folder
              >from the old computer and paste it into the "Program Files"
              >folder of the new computer and after that I could double click on
              >the NoteTab.exe icon already in the NoteTab folder to install the
              >program?

              Sounds like a winner to me. You really don't even have to run the
              setup program again. The only reason I mentioned that is, because
              you don't have to manually make any shortcuts. If you know how to
              make shortcuts and find that easier, just do that.

              You will need to go into Options | Associations and Add the file
              types you want associated with NoteTab.

              Happy Tab'n,
              Jody Adair