Re: [Clip] Changing file names

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2005
      Jeffery Scism wrote:
      > I have several programs which add a pre-pend to file names as they
      > automatically create the file.
      >
      > Is there a clip out therew that renames files ( I Use STANDARD) What I
      > am looking for (similar to several in DIRSTUFF) is one that "gets the
      > file names,in a directory, searches/matches an input criteria, and if
      > that criteria is the first part of the file name. deletes THAT portion,
      > leaving the file name shortened, and saved in the same directory.
      >
      > (examples of prepends would be "Photo - ", "new - ", "Various - " (AND
      > YES THERE IS A SPACE BEFORE AND AFTER EACH DASH)
      >
      > ( it would save steps if the clip converted file names to all lower
      > case, when saving, and escaping if a file name already exists.)

      I am sure you could easily write a clip, however, notetab isn't always
      the best answer ....
      I use a program called 1-4a rename that does exactly that on all windows
      operating systems. It will search and replace on filenames and hundreds
      of other common tasks Jeff. It is quite easy to use. I had another
      similiar one I used to like to use as well, but I have lost my copy.
      Anyway, if you load something up (meaning a directory) and then use
      search and replace ... it will show the new and old names. When you are
      sure you have it right, commit it with the start button and zip zap
      zing. It also actually has an undo button!

      It will also convert to all lower case, change formatting if you set
      rules for illegal file names, and of course alert you to duplicate file
      names before renameing. I think it does what you want to be honest.

      http://www.1-4a.com/rename/

      This is of course off topic for further discussion SO I AM COPYING IT TO
      OFF TOPIC FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION.
      Clip solutions are certainly permissible here ... just not renaming
      utilities.