Counting words in current document

  • Jamal Mazrui
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005
      Is there a way to do this and save the value in a clip? I know I can do
      it with a regular expression like
      \w\W+
      in the Modify/Count dialog, but that would not give me access to the
      resulting value in a variable.

      I wrote a clip that used the same regular expression with the ^!Find
      command in a loop. Even with screen updating turned off, however, it
      was very slow.

      Does anyone know of a practical solution?

      Jamal
    • Hugo Paulissen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005

        > I wrote a clip that used the same regular expression with the ^!Find
        > command in a loop. Even with screen updating turned off, however, it
        > was very slow.
        >
        > Does anyone know of a practical solution?

        Jamal,

        You've found out that Regular Expressions can be slow. But why not use
        the text statistics window

        e.g.
        ^!Keyboard ALT+T S TAB TAB TAB CTRL+C ESC

        Hugo