document to html

  • Chiasson Ed
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hello

      Does someone have the clip for Document to html. I wish to modify it for a specifc need in editing some text I am converting to html. I am interested how this clip was created.

      In particular I need the piece for adding <p></p> to paragraphs in a loop without having to satisfy a wizard for the count.

      Thanks
      Ed

      http://www.fullredguppy.com
      Streaming Audio's

    • Ed Chiasson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
        Doesn't seem anyone has a clip to do what document to html does, how
        about a clip that will convert a document with paragraphs, breaks,
        and links like the example below from text to the format below.

        I can get it to format one line as a paragraph but can't figure how
        to recognize multiple lines as a paragraph, in additon adding <br>
        where needed, and placing the link information with the description

        Anyone, can help here?

        Ed

        U.S. Dive Travel
        Offers packages to Bonaire's Sand Dollar Condominium Resort.
        http://www.usdivetravel[...]ONAIRE-Sand_Dollar.html

        Sand Dollar Group
        Offers project management and support for the development of web
        sites, LAN and WAN design, data center relocations and custom
        helpdesk integration.
        http://www.sanddollargroup.com

        Mellita quienquesperforata
        The anatomy of a sand dollar.
        http://www.lander.edu/rsfox/mellita.html

        convert text to html clip

        <P><a href="http://www.usdivetravel[...]ONAIRE-Sand_Dollar.html">
        U.S. Dive Travel </a><BR>
        Offers packages to Bonaire's Sand Dollar Condominium Resort.<BR>
        http://www.usdivetravel[...]ONAIRE-Sand_Dollar.html<BR>
        </P>

        <P><a href="http://www.sanddollargroup.com">
        Sand Dollar Group </a><BR>
        Offers project management and support for the development of web
        sites, LAN and WAN design, data center relocations and custom
        helpdesk integration.<BR>
        http://www.sanddollargroup.com<BR>
        </P>

        <P><a href="http://www.lander.edu/rsfox/mellita.html">
        Mellita quienquesperforata </a><BR>
        The anatomy of a sand dollar.<BR>
        http://www.lander.edu/rsfox/mellita.html<BR>
        </P>

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Chiasson Ed <fullredguppy@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hello
        >
        > Does someone have the clip for Document to html. I wish to modify
        it for a specifc need in editing some text I am converting to html.
        I am interested how this clip was created.

        > In particular I need the piece for adding <p></p> to paragraphs in
        a loop without having to satisfy a wizard for the count.

        > Thanks
        > Ed
        >

        > http://www.fullredguppy.com
        > Streaming Audio's

      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
          Ed Chiasson wrote:
          > Doesn't seem anyone has a clip to do what document to html does, how
          > about a clip that will convert a document with paragraphs, breaks,
          > and links like the example below from text to the format below.
          >
          > I can get it to format one line as a paragraph but can't figure how
          > to recognize multiple lines as a paragraph, in additon adding <br>
          > where needed, and placing the link information with the description
          >
          > Anyone, can help here?
          >
          > Ed

          Ok Ed,

          I have this clip written I think. It is here:
          http://htmlfixit.com/blog/index.php?p=322

          ;*** Effort by Don Passenger
          ;*** don@...
          ;*** discuss things live in chat at http://htmlfixit.com
          ;*** archived at: http://htmlfixit.com/blog/index.php?p=322
          ;*******************************************************
          ; Take paragraphs and make linked paragraphs
          ; assume double return between paragraphs

          ;start at the top (assuming whole file)
          ^!Jump Doc_Start
          ;set list delimiter to space and get array elements
          ^!SetListDelimiter "^P"

          :paragraph
          ^!ClearVariables
          ;set cursor position
          ^!Set %row%="^$GetRow$"
          ^!Set %column%="^$GetCol$"

          ;find end of this "paragraph" of info
          ^!Find "^P^P" CIS
          ^!IfError END

          ^!Jump Select_End
          ;select the paragraph
          ^!SelectTo ^%row%:^%column%

          ;break the paragraph into an array
          ;element one is what will go into the
          ;link tag, "next-to-last" array element will be the
          ;link url itself and all "middle" elements
          ;will form the paragraph
          ;delimited array set by splitting line on returns
          ^!SetArray %delimited_data%=^$GetSelection$
          ;make sure it isn't empty item if it is END
          ^!If "^%delimited_data1%" = "" END

          ;delete selected paragraph now
          ^!Keyboard DELETE

          ;find the second from last element number
          ^!Set %link_element%=^$Calc(^%delimited_data0%-2)$
          ;the following could all be done
          ;on one long line ... or with short insertHTML's
          ;followed by jumps ... your choice
          ^!InsertHtml <p><a href="
          ^!Jump Select_End
          ^!InsertHtml ^%delimited_data^%link_element%%">^%delimited_data1%
          ^!Jump Select_End
          ^!InsertHtml </a><br />^P
          ^!Jump Select_End
          ;increment index for description
          ^!Set %indx%=2

          :Loop_Description
          ;display each array element
          ^!InsertHtml ^%delimited_data^%indx%%<br />^P
          ^!If ^%indx% = ^$Calc(^%delimited_data0%-3)$ Next_Paragraph
          ^!Inc %indx%
          ^!Goto Loop_Description

          :Next_Paragraph
          ^!InsertHtml </p>^P^P
          ^!Jump Select_End
          ^!Goto paragraph
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
            I do a lot of text to html conversions, but I do not use a single clip to do it. Rather I modified the NoteTab document to html command to not generate an html header or footer, as all I want it to do is to convert paragraphs and single line breaks accordingly. Which it does.

            Then I have do have some clips I run after that to insert the code around a single or all URLs to make them clickable links. Usually I process all the URLs in a document one at a time as quite often the URL, which is sent to me by various clients, is not complete or otherwise has errors. For example most people neglect to include the http:// at the beginning of it. So I have one clip that adds http:// to the beginning of all URLs, another which inserts the code to make each URL a link, another which inserts the code to make an email address clickable, and so on. Once I have all the text to html processing completed, I simply select it all, copy it, and paste into an existing html document. It's fast and has worked very well for me over the years.

            If you're interested I could post the clips I use to do it this way.

            John

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Chiasson" <fullredguppy@y...> wrote:
            > Doesn't seem anyone has a clip to do what document to html does, how
            > about a clip that will convert a document with paragraphs, breaks,
            > and links like the example below from text to the format below.
            >
            > I can get it to format one line as a paragraph but can't figure how
            > to recognize multiple lines as a paragraph, in additon adding <br>
            > where needed, and placing the link information with the description
            >
            > Anyone, can help here?
            >
            > Ed

          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
              John Zeman wrote:
              > I do a lot of text to html conversions ... snip *I modified the NoteTab document to html command*

              How John?

              ^!Toolbar Document to HTML
              This is a set routine imbedded in Notetab as near as I can figure. How
              are you modifying it?
            • John Zeman
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:
                > John Zeman wrote:
                > > I do a lot of text to html conversions ... snip *I modified the NoteTab document to html command*
                >
                > How John?
                >
                > ^!Toolbar Document to HTML
                > This is a set routine imbedded in Notetab as near as I can figure. How
                > are you modifying it?

                You're right Don, we are limited as to what we can do with it.

                Actually all I did was to go into OPTIONS/INTERNET and there I deleted everything in the HTML HEADER and HTML FOOTER boxes. In my situations I always paste a converted text to html document inside of another pre-existing html document. So all I want after a conversion is the text along with the paragraph and <BR> tags that are added to it.
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
                  Hi Ed,

                  From what I gleamed through all the messages, you have been given
                  some answers, but it is hard for me to tell, exactly. It seems,
                  from what I read, you have a partial clip done to do the header
                  and footer and you want text added in between that is HTML
                  formatted by the Clip. It's a piece of cake to do that, but I
                  think you may need to reconsider your line breaks <br> and
                  exactly how you are defining your paragraphs, the layout of the
                  text you need formatted.

                  Perhaps everybody else working with you has a handle on this, but
                  I'm kind of lost. Can you *briefly* tell me if you are are simply
                  trying to use an existing header/footer and adding the text in
                  between, and if so, what is the purpose of the line breaks (<br>
                  in HTML and ^p in NoteTab)? Generally, the only time you want the
                  line breaks in HTML (<br>) is to end a line - not to shorten a
                  margin somewhere - there is other code to use for that.

                  When I want to wrap plain text that needs formatting, I normally
                  format the text first and then wrap it with the header/footer.

                  Also, using Document to HTML, you can select the text that you
                  want formatted and invoke the command and it will only be applied
                  to the selected text, leaving the rest of the document intact.

                • Don - htmlfixit.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
                    Jody wrote:
                    > Hi Ed,
                    >
                    > From what I gleamed through all the messages, you have been given
                    > some answers, but it is hard for me to tell, exactly. It seems,
                    snip
                    > Perhaps everybody else working with you has a handle on this, but
                    > I'm kind of lost. Can you *briefly* tell me if you are are simply
                    > trying to use an existing header/footer and adding the text in
                    > between, and if so, what is the purpose of the line breaks (<br>
                    > in HTML and ^p in NoteTab)? Generally, the only time you want the
                    > line breaks in HTML (<br>) is to end a line - not to shorten a
                    > margin somewhere - there is other code to use for that.

                    snip
                    > Also, using Document to HTML, you can select the text that you
                    > want formatted and invoke the command and it will only be applied
                    > to the selected text, leaving the rest of the document intact.

                    Jody,

                    I think my clip does exactly what he asked for. I suspected his problem
                    was that he has two line feeds that are not followed by correctly
                    formatted data. I wrote an error routine in to END if there are two
                    returns not followed by data. I used his format. However, if I
                    understand the setdebug data he just sent it appears that he doesn't
                    have two returns seperating the paragraphs like he did in the example.
                    Hopefully he can directly email me his input file so I can look at it
                    more carefully.

                    Your suggestion to simply highlight the stuff and convert to html won't
                    work in this situation. What he is doing is taking a series of lines
                    and the first is the text to go in the link tag. The last is the url of
                    the link. So you need to grab the url, go back to the link text and
                    build the tag.

                    Don
                  • Chiasson Ed
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
                      Don

                      here is the code as I loaded with line 10, 12,15,17,18,21,22 as problem pointed out by the debug

                      ^!SetDebug On

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
                        Jody,

                        Don is right about what I am trying to accomplish he has a grasp on
                        what I need, thanks.

                        His clip I am sure would work but somehow I must of downloaded it
                        wrong.

                        I tried playing around with it, and I have installed a debug piece.
                        Somehow its not going past the initial command.

                        ED

                        wrote:
                        > Jody wrote:
                        > > Hi Ed,
                        > >
                        > > From what I gleamed through all the messages, you have been
                        given
                        > > some answers, but it is hard for me to tell, exactly. It seems,
                        > snip
                        > > Perhaps everybody else working with you has a handle on this, but
                        > > I'm kind of lost. Can you *briefly* tell me if you are are simply
                        > > trying to use an existing header/footer and adding the text in
                        > > between, and if so, what is the purpose of the line breaks (<br>
                        > > in HTML and ^p in NoteTab)? Generally, the only time you want the
                        > > line breaks in HTML (<br>) is to end a line - not to shorten a
                        > > margin somewhere - there is other code to use for that.
                        > >
                        > snip
                        > > Also, using Document to HTML, you can select the text that you
                        > > want formatted and invoke the command and it will only be applied
                        > > to the selected text, leaving the rest of the document intact.
                        > >

                        > Jody,
                        >
                        > I think my clip does exactly what he asked for. I suspected his
                        problem
                        > was that he has two line feeds that are not followed by correctly
                        > formatted data. I wrote an error routine in to END if there are
                        two
                        > returns not followed by data. I used his format. However, if I
                        > understand the setdebug data he just sent it appears that he
                        doesn't
                        > have two returns seperating the paragraphs like he did in the
                        example.
                        > Hopefully he can directly email me his input file so I can look at
                        it
                        > more carefully.
                        >
                        > Your suggestion to simply highlight the stuff and convert to html
                        won't
                        > work in this situation. What he is doing is taking a series of
                        lines
                        > and the first is the text to go in the link tag. The last is the
                        url of
                        > the link. So you need to grab the url, go back to the link text
                        and
                        > build the tag.
                        >
                        > Don
                      • Ed Chiasson
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
                          Don, this is the clip you submitted by email this one will do the
                          first paragraph but will not continue on with the loop for the
                          balance of the paragarphs. It also places all the html code in the
                          first paragraph.

                          I checked for double returns as well

                          thanks for you patience.
                          Ed