Re: [Clip] Paragraph Formatting

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
      Thanks Don. That works better but it adds a blank line between each
      paragraph. I was trying to do it like so:

      Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
      nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>
      Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
      nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>
      Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
      nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>

      I am not sure what is adding the blank line. It now looks like this:

      Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
      nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>

      Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
      nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>

      Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
      nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>

      Lee

      On 6/2/05 10:50 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

      >Try this Lee:
      >
      >;*** Effort by Don Passenger
      >;*** don@...
      >;*** discuss things live in chat at http://htmlfixit.com
      >;*******************************************************
      >; Take paragraphs of html and add <p></p> tags before and
      >; after.
      >:again
      >^!ClearVariables
      >^!Select Paragraph
      >^!InsertHtml <p>^%NL%^&</p>^%NL%
      >^!Find "^P</p>" CIBS
      >^!InsertHtml </p>
      >
      >^!Continue Format another paragraph?
      >^!Find "^P^P" CIS
      >^!Jump Select_End
      >
      >^!Goto again
      >

      >Problem you were having is select paragraph includes the trailing ^P
      >This only works if the formating is as you say. You could easily use a
      >regex to find one or more ^P followed by a non-white paragraph to make
      >this more flexible.
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
        I added the line because I thought you wanted it. Try this one:

        ;*** Effort by Don Passenger
        ;*** don@...
        ;*** discuss things live in chat at http://htmlfixit.com
        ;*******************************************************
        ; Take paragraphs of html and add <p></p> tags before and
        ; after.
        :again
        ^!ClearVariables
        ^!Select Paragraph
        ^!InsertHtml <p>^%NL%^&</p>
        ^!Find "^P</p>" CIBS
        ^!InsertHtml </p>

        ^!Continue Format another paragraph?
        ^!Find "^P" CIS
        ^!Jump Select_End

        ^!Goto again

        There are only two things changed.
      • Lee Underwood
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
          That did it. Thanks Don. I appreciate it.

          Lee

          On 6/2/05 11:33 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
          >I added the line because I thought you wanted it. Try this one:
          >
          >;*** Effort by Don Passenger
          >;*** don@...
          >;*** discuss things live in chat at http://htmlfixit.com
          >;*******************************************************
          >; Take paragraphs of html and add <p></p> tags before and
          >; after.
          >:again
          >^!ClearVariables
          >^!Select Paragraph
          >^!InsertHtml <p>^%NL%^&</p>
          >^!Find "^P</p>" CIBS
          >^!InsertHtml </p>
          >
          >^!Continue Format another paragraph?
          >^!Find "^P" CIS
          >^!Jump Select_End
          >
          >^!Goto again
          >
          >There are only two things changed.
        • Ed Chiasson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
            > That did it. Thanks Don. I appreciate it.
            >
            > Lee
            >

            > On 6/2/05 11:33 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
            > >I added the line because I thought you wanted it. Try this one:
            > >
            > >;*** Effort by Don Passenger
            > >;*** don@h...
            > >;*** discuss things live in chat at http://htmlfixit.com
            > >;*******************************************************
            > >; Take paragraphs of html and add <p></p> tags before and
            > >; after.
            > >:again
            > >^!ClearVariables
            > >^!Select Paragraph
            > >^!InsertHtml <p>^%NL%^&</p>
            > >^!Find "^P</p>" CIBS
            > >^!InsertHtml </p>
            > >
            > >^!Continue Format another paragraph?
            > >^!Find "^P" CIS
            > >^!Jump Select_End
            > >
            > >^!Goto again
            > >
            > >There are only two things changed.

            I've been trying to use the clip for placeing <p></p> around
            paragraphs. For me it doesn't seem to select the paragraphs I have.

            When I modify it the paragraph selection only appears to be a
            selected line.

            Isn't a paragraph a group of lines with line breaks between them?

            I must be doing something wrong when I try to use the above clip.

            Ed
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
              It selects to the next line break.

              If line break is say an x for purposes of demonstration, then

              this is one paragraph^P

              this is (soft wrap)
              one paragraph (soft wrap)
              as well^P

              so when you put

              line one goes here^P
              line two goes here^P
              line three goes here^P

              you actually have three paragraphs because it is the returns ^P that
              defines a paragraph
              > I've been trying to use the clip for placeing <p></p> around
              > paragraphs. For me it doesn't seem to select the paragraphs I have.
              >
              > When I modify it the paragraph selection only appears to be a
              > selected line.
              >
              > Isn't a paragraph a group of lines with line breaks between them?
              >
              > I must be doing something wrong when I try to use the above clip.
              >
              > Ed
            • Ed Chiasson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                I noticed that when I was playing with the clip.

                thanks

                But in the real world most times is can be several lines then a line
                break.

                How would you get the clip to recognize that?

                Ed

                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...>
                wrote:
                > It selects to the next line break.
                >
                > If line break is say an x for purposes of demonstration, then
                >

                > this is one paragraph^P
                >
                > this is (soft wrap)
                > one paragraph (soft wrap)
                > as well^P
                >
                > so when you put
                >
                > line one goes here^P
                > line two goes here^P
                > line three goes here^P
                >
                > you actually have three paragraphs because it is the returns ^P
                that
                > defines a paragraph
                > > I've been trying to use the clip for placeing <p></p> around
                > > paragraphs. For me it doesn't seem to select the paragraphs I
                have.

                > > When I modify it the paragraph selection only appears to be a
                > > selected line.
                > >
                > > Isn't a paragraph a group of lines with line breaks between them?
                > >
                > > I must be doing something wrong when I try to use the above clip.
                > >
                > > Ed
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Ed Chiasson wrote:
                  > I noticed that when I was playing with the clip.
                  >
                  > thanks
                  >
                  > But in the real world most times is can be several lines then a line
                  > break.
                  >
                  > How would you get the clip to recognize that?
                  >
                  > Ed

                  I sent two versions, the second one is the one you are looking at I
                  think. Try the other one and it might be closer because I think it goes
                  off of two consecutive line breaks. If you have hard returns in the
                  paragraph, then we would have to use a different select method. We can
                  certainly get it figured out if you give me a small example.

                  As regards the other question you asked, I think when you do the new
                  html document it is based off of a template. A wizard gathers some of
                  the information you want and then it applies a template if I remember
                  correctly. For the modify page to html, I think that is imbedded in
                  notetab and not a clip as we think of it. You certainly could build a
                  clip to do the same thing if you wanted. I am not aware of an existing
                  one however.

                  Good luck,

                  Don
                • Ed Chiasson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 4, 2005
                    Thanks Don, I'll get back to you with something

                    wrote:
                    > Ed Chiasson wrote:
                    > > I noticed that when I was playing with the clip.
                    > >
                    > > thanks
                    > >
                    > > But in the real world most times is can be several lines then a
                    line
                    > > break.
                    > >
                    > > How would you get the clip to recognize that?
                    > >
                    > > Ed
                    > >

                    > I sent two versions, the second one is the one you are looking at
                    > think. Try the other one and it might be closer because I think
                    it goes
                    > off of two consecutive line breaks. If you have hard returns in
                    the
                    > paragraph, then we would have to use a different select method.
                    We can
                    > certainly get it figured out if you give me a small example.
                    >
                    > As regards the other question you asked, I think when you do the
                    new
                    > html document it is based off of a template. A wizard gathers
                    some of
                    > the information you want and then it applies a template if I
                    remember
                    > correctly. For the modify page to html, I think that is imbedded
                    in
                    > notetab and not a clip as we think of it. You certainly could
                    build a
                    > clip to do the same thing if you wanted. I am not aware of an
                    existing
                    > one however.
                    >
                    > Good luck,
                    >
                    > Don
                  • Ed Chiasson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 4, 2005
                      Don this is what I start with

                      U.S. Dive Travel
                      Offers packages to Bonaire's Sand Dollar Condominium Resort.
                      http://www.usdivetravel[...]ONAIRE-Sand_Dollar.html

                      Sand Dollar Group
                      Offers project management and support for the development of web
                      sites, LAN and WAN design, data center relocations and custom
                      helpdesk integration.
                      http://www.sanddollargroup.com

                      Mellita quienquesperforata
                      The anatomy of a sand dollar.
                      http://www.lander.edu/rsfox/mellita.html

                      convert text to html clip

                      <P><a href="http://www.usdivetravel[...]ONAIRE-Sand_Dollar.html">
                      U.S. Dive Travel </a><BR>
                      Offers packages to Bonaire's Sand Dollar Condominium Resort.<BR>
                      http://www.usdivetravel[...]ONAIRE-Sand_Dollar.html<BR>
                      </P>

                      <P><a href="http://www.sanddollargroup.com">
                      Sand Dollar Group </a><BR>
                      Offers project management and support for the development of web
                      sites, LAN and WAN design, data center relocations and custom
                      helpdesk integration.<BR>
                      http://www.sanddollargroup.com<BR>
                      </P>

                      <P><a href="http://www.lander.edu/rsfox/mellita.html">