Paragraph Formatting

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
      I have tried to use the clip below and I know there must be an easier way.
      I am trying to make a clip that will format paragraphs with a <p> tag on a
      blank line and the closing tag </p> on the last line, i.e.,

      Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
      nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>

      Then it would ask to do another one and repeat the same procedure. This is
      what I tried but it doesn't work. Any ideas??

      ^!ClearVariables

      :again
      ^!ClearVariables
      ^!Select Paragraph
      ^!InsertHtml <p>^%NL%^&</p>
      ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+DOWN
      ^!Continue Format another paragraph?
      ^!Goto again

      Lee
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
        Lee Underwood wrote:
        > I have tried to use the clip below and I know there must be an easier way.
        > I am trying to make a clip that will format paragraphs with a <p> tag on a
        > blank line and the closing tag </p> on the last line, i.e.,

        > Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
        > nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>
        >
        > Then it would ask to do another one and repeat the same procedure. This is
        > what I tried but it doesn't work. Any ideas??

        > ^!ClearVariables
        >
        > :again
        > ^!ClearVariables
        > ^!Select Paragraph
        > ^!InsertHtml <p>^%NL%^&</p>
        > ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+DOWN
        > ^!Continue Format another paragraph?
        > ^!Goto again
        >
        > Lee

        Try this Lee:

        ;*** Effort by Don Passenger
        ;*** don@...
        ;*** discuss things live in chat at http://htmlfixit.com
        ;*******************************************************
        ; Take paragraphs of html and add <p></p> tags before and
        ; after.
        :again
        ^!ClearVariables
        ^!Select Paragraph
        ^!InsertHtml <p>^%NL%^&</p>^%NL%
        ^!Find "^P</p>" CIBS
        ^!InsertHtml </p>

        ^!Continue Format another paragraph?
        ^!Find "^P^P" CIS
        ^!Jump Select_End

        ^!Goto again

        Problem you were having is select paragraph includes the trailing ^P
        This only works if the formating is as you say. You could easily use a
        regex to find one or more ^P followed by a non-white paragraph to make
        this more flexible.
      • Lee Underwood
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
          Thanks Don. That works better but it adds a blank line between each
          paragraph. I was trying to do it like so:

          Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
          nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>
          Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
          nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>
          Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
          nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>

          I am not sure what is adding the blank line. It now looks like this:

          On 6/2/05 10:50 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

          >Try this Lee:
          >
          >;*** Effort by Don Passenger
          >;*** don@...
          >;*** discuss things live in chat at http://htmlfixit.com
          >;*******************************************************
          >; Take paragraphs of html and add <p></p> tags before and
          >; after.
          >:again
          >^!ClearVariables
          >^!Select Paragraph
          >^!InsertHtml <p>^%NL%^&</p>^%NL%
          >^!Find "^P</p>" CIBS
          >^!InsertHtml </p>
          >
          >^!Continue Format another paragraph?
          >^!Find "^P^P" CIS
          >^!Jump Select_End
          >
          >^!Goto again
          >

          >Problem you were having is select paragraph includes the trailing ^P
          >This only works if the formating is as you say. You could easily use a
          >regex to find one or more ^P followed by a non-white paragraph to make
          >this more flexible.
        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
            I added the line because I thought you wanted it. Try this one:

            ;*** Effort by Don Passenger
            ;*** don@...
            ;*** discuss things live in chat at http://htmlfixit.com
            ;*******************************************************
            ; Take paragraphs of html and add <p></p> tags before and
            ; after.
            :again
            ^!ClearVariables
            ^!Select Paragraph
            ^!InsertHtml <p>^%NL%^&</p>
            ^!Find "^P</p>" CIBS
            ^!InsertHtml </p>

            ^!Continue Format another paragraph?
            ^!Find "^P" CIS
            ^!Jump Select_End

            ^!Goto again

            There are only two things changed.
          • Lee Underwood
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
              That did it. Thanks Don. I appreciate it.

              Lee

              On 6/2/05 11:33 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
              >I added the line because I thought you wanted it. Try this one:
              >
              >;*** Effort by Don Passenger
              >;*** don@...
              >;*** discuss things live in chat at http://htmlfixit.com
              >;*******************************************************
              >; Take paragraphs of html and add <p></p> tags before and
              >; after.
              >:again
              >^!ClearVariables
              >^!Select Paragraph
              >^!InsertHtml <p>^%NL%^&</p>
              >^!Find "^P</p>" CIBS
              >^!InsertHtml </p>
              >
              >^!Continue Format another paragraph?
              >^!Find "^P" CIS
              >^!Jump Select_End
              >
              >^!Goto again
              >
              >There are only two things changed.
            • Ed Chiasson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
                > That did it. Thanks Don. I appreciate it.
                >
                > Lee
                >

                > On 6/2/05 11:33 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                > >I added the line because I thought you wanted it. Try this one:
                > >
                > >;*** Effort by Don Passenger
                > >;*** don@h...
                > >;*** discuss things live in chat at http://htmlfixit.com
                > >;*******************************************************
                > >; Take paragraphs of html and add <p></p> tags before and
                > >; after.
                > >:again
                > >^!ClearVariables
                > >^!Select Paragraph
                > >^!InsertHtml <p>^%NL%^&</p>
                > >^!Find "^P</p>" CIBS
                > >^!InsertHtml </p>
                > >
                > >^!Continue Format another paragraph?
                > >^!Find "^P" CIS
                > >^!Jump Select_End
                > >
                > >^!Goto again
                > >
                > >There are only two things changed.

                I've been trying to use the clip for placeing <p></p> around
                paragraphs. For me it doesn't seem to select the paragraphs I have.

                When I modify it the paragraph selection only appears to be a
                selected line.

                Isn't a paragraph a group of lines with line breaks between them?

                I must be doing something wrong when I try to use the above clip.

                Ed
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                  It selects to the next line break.

                  If line break is say an x for purposes of demonstration, then

                  this is one paragraph^P

                  this is (soft wrap)
                  one paragraph (soft wrap)
                  as well^P

                  so when you put

                  line one goes here^P
                  line two goes here^P
                  line three goes here^P

                  you actually have three paragraphs because it is the returns ^P that
                  defines a paragraph
                  > I've been trying to use the clip for placeing <p></p> around
                  > paragraphs. For me it doesn't seem to select the paragraphs I have.
                  >
                  > When I modify it the paragraph selection only appears to be a
                  > selected line.
                  >
                  > Isn't a paragraph a group of lines with line breaks between them?
                  >
                  > I must be doing something wrong when I try to use the above clip.
                  >
                  > Ed
                • Ed Chiasson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                    I noticed that when I was playing with the clip.

                    thanks

                    But in the real world most times is can be several lines then a line
                    break.

                    How would you get the clip to recognize that?

                    Ed

                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...>
                    wrote:
                    > It selects to the next line break.
                    >
                    > If line break is say an x for purposes of demonstration, then
                    >

                    > this is one paragraph^P
                    >
                    > this is (soft wrap)
                    > one paragraph (soft wrap)
                    > as well^P
                    >
                    > so when you put
                    >
                    > line one goes here^P
                    > line two goes here^P
                    > line three goes here^P
                    >
                    > you actually have three paragraphs because it is the returns ^P
                    that
                    > defines a paragraph
                    > > I've been trying to use the clip for placeing <p></p> around
                    > > paragraphs. For me it doesn't seem to select the paragraphs I
                    have.

                    > > When I modify it the paragraph selection only appears to be a
                    > > selected line.
                    > >
                    > > Isn't a paragraph a group of lines with line breaks between them?
                    > >
                    > > I must be doing something wrong when I try to use the above clip.
                    > >
                    > > Ed
                  • Don - htmlfixit.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                      Ed Chiasson wrote:
                      > I noticed that when I was playing with the clip.
                      >
                      > thanks
                      >
                      > But in the real world most times is can be several lines then a line
                      > break.
                      >
                      > How would you get the clip to recognize that?
                      >
                      > Ed

                      I sent two versions, the second one is the one you are looking at I
                      think. Try the other one and it might be closer because I think it goes
                      off of two consecutive line breaks. If you have hard returns in the
                      paragraph, then we would have to use a different select method. We can
                      certainly get it figured out if you give me a small example.

                      As regards the other question you asked, I think when you do the new
                      html document it is based off of a template. A wizard gathers some of
                      the information you want and then it applies a template if I remember
                      correctly. For the modify page to html, I think that is imbedded in
                      notetab and not a clip as we think of it. You certainly could build a
                      clip to do the same thing if you wanted. I am not aware of an existing
                      one however.

                      Good luck,

                      Don
                    • Ed Chiasson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 4, 2005
                        Thanks Don, I'll get back to you with something

                        wrote:
                        > Ed Chiasson wrote:
                        > > I noticed that when I was playing with the clip.
                        > >
                        > > thanks
                        > >
                        > > But in the real world most times is can be several lines then a
                        line
                        > > break.
                        > >
                        > > How would you get the clip to recognize that?
                        > >
                        > > Ed
                        > >

                        > I sent two versions, the second one is the one you are looking at
                        > think. Try the other one and it might be closer because I think
                        it goes
                        > off of two consecutive line breaks. If you have hard returns in
                        the
                        > paragraph, then we would have to use a different select method.
                        We can
                        > certainly get it figured out if you give me a small example.
                        >
                        > As regards the other question you asked, I think when you do the
                        new
                        > html document it is based off of a template. A wizard gathers
                        some of
                        > the information you want and then it applies a template if I
                        remember
                        > correctly. For the modify page to html, I think that is imbedded
                        in
                        > notetab and not a clip as we think of it. You certainly could
                        build a
                        > clip to do the same thing if you wanted. I am not aware of an
                        existing
                        > one however.
                        >
                        > Good luck,
                        >
                        > Don
                      • Ed Chiasson
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 4, 2005
                          Don this is what I start with

                          U.S. Dive Travel
                          Offers packages to Bonaire's Sand Dollar Condominium Resort.
                          http://www.usdivetravel[...]ONAIRE-Sand_Dollar.html

                          Sand Dollar Group
                          Offers project management and support for the development of web
                          sites, LAN and WAN design, data center relocations and custom
                          helpdesk integration.
                          http://www.sanddollargroup.com

                          Mellita quienquesperforata
                          The anatomy of a sand dollar.
                          http://www.lander.edu/rsfox/mellita.html

                          convert text to html clip

                          <P><a href="http://www.usdivetravel[...]ONAIRE-Sand_Dollar.html">
                          U.S. Dive Travel </a><BR>
                          Offers packages to Bonaire's Sand Dollar Condominium Resort.<BR>
                          http://www.usdivetravel[...]ONAIRE-Sand_Dollar.html<BR>
                          </P>

                          <P><a href="http://www.sanddollargroup.com">
                          Sand Dollar Group </a><BR>
                          Offers project management and support for the development of web
                          sites, LAN and WAN design, data center relocations and custom
                          helpdesk integration.<BR>
                          http://www.sanddollargroup.com<BR>
                          </P>

                          <P><a href="http://www.lander.edu/rsfox/mellita.html">