Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [Clip] Flushing .ini file to disk

Expand Messages
  • Jamal Mazrui
    Thanks for your response. Those are the commands I ve been using. The problem, as I understand it, is that Windows treats .ini files differently from others,
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2005
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Thanks for your response. Those are the commands I've been using. The problem, as I understand it, is that Windows treats .ini files differently from others, buffering changes in memory for a while before actually writing them to disk.
      Jamal



      -----Original Message-----
      From: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of hsavage
      Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 4:15 PM
      To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Clip] Flushing .ini file to disk


      Jamal Mazrui wrote:

      > Is there a way to make sure that a .ini file chaged in a clip is written
      > to disk? As I understand it, Windows buffers the saving of .ini files.
      > Some other programming languages with which I'm familiar include a
      > "Flush" command that one can use to ensure that any bufferred changes
      > are written to disk. I did not find such a command in NoteTab Pro.
      >
      > I suspect that some problems I'm having with .ini file changes being
      > recognized either by NTB or another program with which NTB is exchanging
      > data is due to this problem. As a work-around, I wonder if copying the
      > .ini file to another, dummy file via the ^!CopyFile command would force
      > the .ini file to be saved to disk.
      >
      > Jamal

      Jamal,

      From NoteTab help, ^!ProgIniSave [IniName] entered at an appropriate
      point in the clip should save the current ???.ini file contents to disk.
      ---------------------------------------------
      ^!ProgIniSave [IniName] (added in v4.6)
      Saves the current program settings into the NoteTab ini file or
      registry. Optionally, you can specify an alternative INI file (it is
      automatically created if it does not exist).

      ---------------------------------------------
      ^!ProgIniLoad [IniName] (added in v4.6)
      Loads options from the NoteTab ini file or registry. Optionally, you can
      specify an alternative INI file (it must exist or else the command sets
      the error condition). Note that the [AutoLoad] section is ignored by
      this command.

      ºvº
      05.05.09
      hrs > hsavage@...




      Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.us, http://www.fookes.com
      Fookes Software Mailing Lists: http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Larry Hamilton
      James, The ini files that you create with NoteTab are usually ini files for use with a clip to store values between runs of the clip. I have never had any
      Message 2 of 7 , May 9, 2005
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        James,

        The ini files that you create with NoteTab are usually ini files for use
        with a clip to store values between runs of the clip.

        I have never had any issues with "timing" and the ini files I use with
        some of my clips.

        If you are working with the ini file that goes with another program,
        then you need to understand that program very well. Most programs do not
        write to their own ini file until the program exits normally. This is
        true of NoteTab's ini file, if Windows crashes before NoteTab shuts
        down. This would be the buffering. The ini files that the clip commands
        use are written to immediately.

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        Jamal Mazrui wrote:
        > Thanks for your response. Those are the commands I've been using. The problem, as I understand it, is that Windows treats .ini files differently from others, buffering changes in memory for a while before actually writing them to disk.
        > Jamal
        >
        >
        >
        > -----Original Message-----
        > From: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of hsavage
        > Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 4:15 PM
        > To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [Clip] Flushing .ini file to disk
        >
        >
        > Jamal Mazrui wrote:
        >
        > > Is there a way to make sure that a .ini file chaged in a clip is written
        > > to disk? As I understand it, Windows buffers the saving of .ini files.
        > > Some other programming languages with which I'm familiar include a
        > > "Flush" command that one can use to ensure that any bufferred changes
        > > are written to disk. I did not find such a command in NoteTab Pro.
        > >
        > > I suspect that some problems I'm having with .ini file changes being
        > > recognized either by NTB or another program with which NTB is exchanging
        > > data is due to this problem. As a work-around, I wonder if copying the
        > > .ini file to another, dummy file via the ^!CopyFile command would force
        > > the .ini file to be saved to disk.
        > >
        > > Jamal
        >
        > Jamal,
        >
        > From NoteTab help, ^!ProgIniSave [IniName] entered at an appropriate
        > point in the clip should save the current ???.ini file contents to disk.
        > ---------------------------------------------
        > ^!ProgIniSave [IniName] (added in v4.6)
        > Saves the current program settings into the NoteTab ini file or
        > registry. Optionally, you can specify an alternative INI file (it is
        > automatically created if it does not exist).
        >
        > ---------------------------------------------
        > ^!ProgIniLoad [IniName] (added in v4.6)
        > Loads options from the NoteTab ini file or registry. Optionally, you can
        > specify an alternative INI file (it must exist or else the command sets
        > the error condition). Note that the [AutoLoad] section is ignored by
        > this command.
        >
        > ºvº
        > 05.05.09
        > hrs > hsavage@...
      • John Zeman
        ... The problem, as I understand it, is that Windows treats .ini files differently from others, buffering changes in memory for a while before actually writing
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2005
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Jamal Mazrui" <Jamal.Mazrui@f...>
          wrote:
          > Thanks for your response. Those are the commands I've been using.
          The problem, as I understand it, is that Windows treats .ini files
          differently from others, buffering changes in memory for a while
          before actually writing them to disk.
          > Jamal
          >


          In addition to what the others have said, here is another way you can
          think about NoteTab ini files.

          Basically changing values in the NoteTab ini file involves a 3 step
          procedure.

          In a clip at the point where you are ready to do something with the
          ini file, the first step is to save the actual dynamic settings of
          the ini file (which is contained in Windows memory) to disk by file
          using

          ^!ProgIniSave

          Then write whatever changes you want to the ini file immediately
          after that. Finally, you'll want to reload the ini file back into
          Windows memory again by using

          ^!ProgIniLoad

          For example the following simple clip adjusts the NoteTab ini file
          (regardless of what it is at the moment in Windows memory) to set the
          widths of the Clipbook, Quicklist, and outline columns to 150 pixels.


          ^!ProgIniSave
          ^!SaveValue Clipbook:PanelWidth=150
          ^!SaveValue Quicklist:PanelWidth=150
          ^!SaveValue OutlineList:PanelWidth=150
          ^!ProgIniLoad

          John
        • hsavage
          ... John, You may be correct but I would like Eric or Jody to verify the above. It seems the sequence is a little off. Shouldn t the ^!ProgIniSave command be
          Message 4 of 7 , May 9, 2005
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            John Zeman wrote:

            > In addition to what the others have said, here is another way you can
            > think about NoteTab ini files.
            >
            > In a clip at the point where you are ready to do something with the
            > ini file, the first step is to save the actual dynamic settings of
            > the ini file (which is contained in Windows memory) to disk by file
            > using
            >
            > ^!ProgIniSave
            >
            > Then write whatever changes you want to the ini file immediately
            > after that. Finally, you'll want to reload the ini file back into
            > Windows memory again by using
            >
            > ^!ProgIniLoad
            >
            > For example the following simple clip adjusts the NoteTab ini file
            > (regardless of what it is at the moment in Windows memory) to set the
            > widths of the Clipbook, Quicklist, and outline columns to 150 pixels.
            >
            >
            > ^!ProgIniSave
            > ^!SaveValue Clipbook:PanelWidth=150
            > ^!SaveValue Quicklist:PanelWidth=150
            > ^!SaveValue OutlineList:PanelWidth=150
            > ^!ProgIniLoad
            >
            > John

            John,

            You may be correct but I would like Eric or Jody to verify the above.
            It seems the sequence is a little off.

            Shouldn't the ^!ProgIniSave command be immediately after the ^!SaveValue
            commands to allow all the most current information entered or saved to
            be written to disk then followed by ^!ProgIniLoad to load the newly
            saved disk file back into memory with all its up to date changes intact?

            This is the command order I would use but I could be wrong, thus the
            call for clarification from 'above'.

            ^!SaveValue Clipbook:PanelWidth=150
            ^!SaveValue Quicklist:PanelWidth=150
            ^!SaveValue OutlineList:PanelWidth=150
            ^!ProgIniSave
            ^!ProgIniLoad

            One, also, may have some success using the ^!Setinifile command to close
            an ini file in use then re-use it to re-access the same ini file.

            ºvº
            05.05.09
            hrs > hsavage@...
          • John Zeman
            ... I don t think so Harvey as the ^!SaveValue command writes directly to the ini file as it exists on the disk at the time you invoke it. Normally the ini
            Message 5 of 7 , May 9, 2005
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
              > John Zeman wrote:
              >
              > Shouldn't the ^!ProgIniSave command be immediately after the ^!SaveValue
              > commands to allow all the most current information entered or saved to
              > be written to disk then followed by ^!ProgIniLoad to load the newly
              > saved disk file back into memory with all its up to date changes intact?



              I don't think so Harvey as the ^!SaveValue command writes directly to the ini file as it exists on the disk at the time you invoke it.

              Normally the ini file on disk is not updated by NoteTab until you actually close NoteTab or exit Windows.

              So if you write to the ini file using the ^!SaveValue command then later use the ^!ProgIniSave command (or just close NoteTab) you will overwrite the ini file changes you just made with whatever is current in the Windows memory for the ini file.

              John
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.