Show Open Dialog Box in specific Directory

  • hwitche
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2005
      Dear Clippers,

      I made this akward contruction to see all my files in a DIR:

      OPEN "THE_FOLDER"
      ^!KEYBOARD ALT+F O Tab Tab Tab Tab Tab D DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN
      Enter Tab Tab Tab DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN Enter DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN
      DOWN DOWN DOWN Enter DOWN Enter

      I'm sure there must be a simpler way to jump directly into a folder to
      choose the file I want to open.

      But how can I do this?

      Hans
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2005
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "hwitche" <hwitche@y...> wrote:
        > Dear Clippers,
        >
        > I made this akward contruction to see all my files in a DIR:
        >
        > OPEN "THE_FOLDER"
        > ^!KEYBOARD ALT+F O Tab Tab Tab Tab Tab D DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN
        > Enter Tab Tab Tab DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN Enter DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN
        > DOWN DOWN DOWN Enter DOWN Enter
        >
        > I'm sure there must be a simpler way to jump directly into a folder to
        > choose the file I want to open.
        >
        > But how can I do this?
        >

        > Hans

        Here is one way to do it. The following simple
        clip, when run, will open a dialog box that is
        based in the NoteTab documents folder. It also
        contains a filter so only file names that end with
        the extensions .txt (text) and .otl (outlines)
        will be seen.

        There are only two lines in this clip, be aware of
        any yahoo inserted line breaks in the first one.

        When you run the clip you will see a little box
        with three dots (...) on the right side, click
        that to select the file you want.

        John

        ^!set %FILE%=^?[(T=O;F="My Text Docs and Outlines|*.txt;*.otl") Browse to Page=C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro\Documents\]

        ^!Open ^%FILE%
      • hwitche
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2005
          John,

          It seems to me that the option to open a directory thru the Open
          dialog box was not considered by Notetab.

          Your suggested method does the job, but it needs two decisions more
          (boxes + clicks) then my solution (which jumps directly to DIR).

          I have to stay with my construction, even it's somewhat stupid.

          But anyway, thank you very much for your help.

          Hans

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman" <john041650@y...> wrote:
          > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "hwitche" <hwitche@y...> wrote:

          > > I made this akward contruction to see all my files in a DIR:
          > >
          > > OPEN "THE_FOLDER"
          > > ^!KEYBOARD ALT+F O Tab Tab Tab Tab Tab D DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN
          > > Enter Tab Tab Tab DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN Enter DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN
          > > DOWN DOWN DOWN Enter DOWN Enter
          > >
          > > I'm sure there must be a simpler way to jump directly into a folder to
          > > choose the file I want to open.
          > >
          > > But how can I do this?
          > >

          > > Hans
          >

          > Here is one way to do it. The following simple
          > clip, when run, will open a dialog box that is
          > based in the NoteTab documents folder. It also
          > contains a filter so only file names that end with
          > the extensions .txt (text) and .otl (outlines)
          > will be seen.
          >
          > There are only two lines in this clip, be aware of
          > any yahoo inserted line breaks in the first one.
          >
          > When you run the clip you will see a little box
          > with three dots (...) on the right side, click
          > that to select the file you want.
          >
          > John
          >

          > ^!set %FILE%=^?[(T=O;F="My Text Docs and Outlines|*.txt;*.otl")
          Browse to Page=C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro\Documents\]

          > ^!Open ^%FILE%
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2005
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "hwitche" <hwitche@y...> wrote:

            > It seems to me that the option to open a directory thru the Open
            > dialog box was not considered by Notetab.
            >
            > Your suggested method does the job, but it needs two decisions more
            > (boxes + clicks) then my solution (which jumps directly to DIR).

            Hans I do agree there seems to be an unnecessary number of extra mouse clicks involved when using a open dialog wizard. It would be nice if that could be streamlined a bit in the next version.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 20, 2005
              Hi Hans, John, Others,

              >It seems to me that the option to open a directory thru the Open
              >dialog box was not considered by Notetab.

              I've been very busy and haven't been able to look at all the list
              mail. Obviously I am missing something here because View |
              Options | Files | Use Default Directories is what needs to be
              set. If you need to use it in a Clip, then: ^!Toolbar Open
              Document will open to the folder that you have set in Options.

              You can always use a wizard with many "default" open paths to choose
              from, but of course that would require more clicks.