[Clip] Re: OnOpen & Keyboard

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
      Hi Larry,

      > I am making the assumption that you want the files opened as read-only.
      >
      > ^!OpenReadOnly FileName (added in v4.6)

      Thanks, I never use Read Only so just slap forgot about that.

      However - it is with ^!Keyboards as well. could you test it for
      me please.

      H="OnOpen"
      ^!Clip "Open"

      H="Open"
      ^!Open File
      ^!Keyboard Alt+D S
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
        Hi Jody,

        At 03:27 PM 9/14/1999 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi Larry,
        >
        >> I am making the assumption that you want the files opened as read-only.
        >>
        >> ^!OpenReadOnly FileName (added in v4.6)
        >
        >Thanks, I never use Read Only so just slap forgot about that.
        >
        >However - it is with ^!Keyboards as well. could you test it for
        >me please.

        I don't have good news. I tested and failed and after a while with various
        tests I finally recognized the problem from previous things that I have
        tried. You cannot access the Alt+Menubar Letter commands from some areas
        of NoteTab. I do not know why this is so but it is. You just have to try
        things to find out what won't work. Onopen appears to be one. I tried
        just to get any menu bar item to drop down and freeze there such as Alt+M,
        or Alt+F or Alt+D. Nothing would come down for Onopen but as you said, the
        clip itself will open these drop down menus if it is directly activated.
        So your problem is not with timing, delays, and such but with the way
        NoteTab handles access to the main menu.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
          Hi Larry,

          > You cannot access the Alt+Menubar Letter commands from some
          > areas of NoteTab. I do not know why this is so but it is.

          You know who I will tell that to! There is a maintenance release
          coming you know. <g>

          >So your problem is not with timing, delays, and such but with the way
          >NoteTab handles access to the main menu.

          I figured as much with that after trying every trick that I knew.
          I guess I will have to use...

          ^!Close "^%ReadOnly^%Index%%"
          ^!OpenReadOnly "^%ReadOnly^%Index%%"

          ...which takes more time to open the file in the first part of
          the script, close it and then open it again. I'll have to see if
          I can rewrite the Clip - I think I can.

          I suppose Eric has his reasons for not being able to mark and
          already opened file as Read Only with ^!OpenReadOnly.

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab Clip List...
          mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        • Carl Swann
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
            Larry Thomas wrote:

            > Hi Jody,

            > You cannot access the Alt+Menubar Letter commands from some areas
            > of NoteTab. I do not know why this is so but it is. You just have to try
            > things to find out what won't work. Onopen appears to be one.

            I have had similar "un-luck" with Alt+Down as a part of clip to
            designate a particular printer... I gave up on the clip thinking it
            was something in my computer.

            At least, none of us is alone in this... :-(

            oOOo-(_)-oOOo
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
              Hi Jody,

              At 04:25 PM 9/14/1999 -0500, you wrote:
              >Hi Larry,
              >
              >> You cannot access the Alt+Menubar Letter commands from some
              >> areas of NoteTab. I do not know why this is so but it is.
              >
              >You know who I will tell that to! There is a maintenance release
              >coming you know. <g>

              I just remembered the only other place where this happened to me. The Clip
              Assistant cannot access the main menubar even from a clip directly
              activated in the Clip Assistant that uses ^!Keyboard Alt+Letter keys. So
              you can add that to Onopen and possibly Onclose and OnClipboardchange as
              well although I don't know about the last two as I have not tested it -
              when you tell Eric.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
                Hi Carl,

                > I have had similar "un-luck" with Alt+Down as a part of clip to
                > designate a particular printer... I gave up on the clip
                > thinking it was something in my computer.

                Have you tried just the Down key. Normally keyboard commands
                work well except for some of the upper level ones for the lack of
                a better term like Alt+Tab, Ctrl+ESC. In my HP dialog the
                printer area is focused when it opena and the down arrow changes
                printers. Walk through it manually without the script and see
                what it takes. Another problem could be you are not checking to
                see if the printer dialog is focused and the command is being
                spent elsewhere. ;-)

                http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                The NoteTab Clip List...
                mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              • Kay Roath
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
                  09/14/1999 3:15 PM Larry Thomas wrote
                  > I just remembered the only other place where this happened
                  > to me. The Clip Assistant cannot access the main menubar
                  > even from a clip directly activated in the Clip Assistant
                  > that uses ^!Keyboard Alt+Letter keys.

                  Not totally :) I use this all the time from a Clip
                  Assistant clip -
                  ^!KeyBoard F6 Alt+T L C

                  Closes & reopens Clip Assistant after I've made changes :)

                  --- Grandma Kay ---
                • Larry Thomas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
                    Hi Kay,

                    At 05:59 PM 9/14/1999 -0700, you wrote:
                    >09/14/1999 3:15 PM Larry Thomas wrote
                    >> I just remembered the only other place where this happened
                    >> to me. The Clip Assistant cannot access the main menubar
                    >> even from a clip directly activated in the Clip Assistant
                    >> that uses ^!Keyboard Alt+Letter keys.
                    >
                    >Not totally :) I use this all the time from a Clip
                    >Assistant clip -
                    >^!KeyBoard F6 Alt+T L C
                    >
                    >Closes & reopens Clip Assistant after I've made changes :)

                    Ok. So I missed one ;-) Please tell me ... why not ^!Keyboard F6 F6 to
                    close and reopen Clip Assistant? I tried it and it appears to work fine
                    for me.

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    larryt@...
                  • Kay Roath
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 15, 1999
                      09/14/1999 6:19 PM Larry Thomas wrote
                      >>Closes & reopens Clip Assistant after I've made changes :)

                      > Ok. So I missed one ;-) Please tell me ... why not
                      > ^!Keyboard F6 F6 to close and reopen Clip Assistant? I
                      > tried it and it appears to work fine for me.

                      I like the Clip Editor so I have a clipbook that matches
                      ClipHelp & clips to update for me. Sometimes I use the clip
                      from the Clip Assistant & sometimes from the clipbook. The
                      menu item lets me do the clip no matter what QuickList was
                      last selected & ALWAYS loads a new ClipHelp. I don't find
                      toggles to be very useful in clips :(.

                      --- Grandma Kay ---
                    • Larry Thomas
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 15, 1999
                        Hi Kay,

                        At 01:16 AM 9/15/1999 -0700, you wrote:
                        >I like the Clip Editor so I have a clipbook that matches
                        >ClipHelp & clips to update for me. Sometimes I use the clip
                        >from the Clip Assistant & sometimes from the clipbook. The
                        >menu item lets me do the clip no matter what QuickList was
                        >last selected & ALWAYS loads a new ClipHelp. I don't find
                        >toggles to be very useful in clips :(.

                        This is an example of my lazy thinking when dealing with all of the
                        extensive features and functions of this program. I get involved with
                        writing clips for the Clip Assistant and all I think is F6 opens and closes
                        it but in fact F6 is for the Quick List which has three other settings
                        besides the Clip Assistant. I know this and I just spaced it out which
                        caused the dumb question. For this specific purpose, the toggle is fine
                        for me but for many other uses, I agree with your statement above. Thanks
                        for the info.

                        Regards,

                        Larry
                        larryt@...