[Clip] Re: OnOpen & Keyboard

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
      Hi Jody,

      At 01:50 PM 9/14/1999 -0500, you wrote:
      >Hi All,
      >
      >Could somebody test this and give me a work around for it please.
      >If I open the files via the OnOpen by switching to the Library on
      >the Button bar the "O" in the keyboard line to set the file as
      >read only gets inserted into the doc at 1:1. If I click on
      >either "OnOpen" or "Open" it works fine. I've tried delays,
      >focus, IsOpen, etc., but no workie. Seems like a bug to me?
      >
      >You'll need to put your own files in. ;-)
      >
      >H="OnOpen"
      >^!Clip "Open"
      >
      >H="Open"
      >^!Open E:\NTP\Documents\test\a-fire-index.html
      >^!Keyboard Alt+D O
      >^!Open E:\NTP\Documents\test\mapi.txt
      >^!Keyboard Alt+D O

      I am making the assumption that you want the files opened as read-only. In
      place of ^!Open try:

      ^!OpenReadOnly FileName (added in v4.6)
      Opens or selects the specified document "FileName". You can use wild cards
      with this command. Newly opened files are set as Read-Only.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
        Hi Larry,

        > I am making the assumption that you want the files opened as read-only.
        >
        > ^!OpenReadOnly FileName (added in v4.6)

        Thanks, I never use Read Only so just slap forgot about that.

        However - it is with ^!Keyboards as well. could you test it for
        me please.

        H="OnOpen"
        ^!Clip "Open"

        H="Open"
        ^!Open File
        ^!Keyboard Alt+D S
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
          Hi Jody,

          At 03:27 PM 9/14/1999 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi Larry,
          >
          >> I am making the assumption that you want the files opened as read-only.
          >>
          >> ^!OpenReadOnly FileName (added in v4.6)
          >
          >Thanks, I never use Read Only so just slap forgot about that.
          >
          >However - it is with ^!Keyboards as well. could you test it for
          >me please.

          I don't have good news. I tested and failed and after a while with various
          tests I finally recognized the problem from previous things that I have
          tried. You cannot access the Alt+Menubar Letter commands from some areas
          of NoteTab. I do not know why this is so but it is. You just have to try
          things to find out what won't work. Onopen appears to be one. I tried
          just to get any menu bar item to drop down and freeze there such as Alt+M,
          or Alt+F or Alt+D. Nothing would come down for Onopen but as you said, the
          clip itself will open these drop down menus if it is directly activated.
          So your problem is not with timing, delays, and such but with the way
          NoteTab handles access to the main menu.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
            Hi Larry,

            > You cannot access the Alt+Menubar Letter commands from some
            > areas of NoteTab. I do not know why this is so but it is.

            You know who I will tell that to! There is a maintenance release
            coming you know. <g>

            >So your problem is not with timing, delays, and such but with the way
            >NoteTab handles access to the main menu.

            I figured as much with that after trying every trick that I knew.
            I guess I will have to use...

            ^!Close "^%ReadOnly^%Index%%"
            ^!OpenReadOnly "^%ReadOnly^%Index%%"

            ...which takes more time to open the file in the first part of
            the script, close it and then open it again. I'll have to see if
            I can rewrite the Clip - I think I can.

            I suppose Eric has his reasons for not being able to mark and
            already opened file as Read Only with ^!OpenReadOnly.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab Clip List...
            mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
          • Carl Swann
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
              Larry Thomas wrote:

              > Hi Jody,

              > You cannot access the Alt+Menubar Letter commands from some areas
              > of NoteTab. I do not know why this is so but it is. You just have to try
              > things to find out what won't work. Onopen appears to be one.

              I have had similar "un-luck" with Alt+Down as a part of clip to
              designate a particular printer... I gave up on the clip thinking it
              was something in my computer.

              At least, none of us is alone in this... :-(

              oOOo-(_)-oOOo
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
                Hi Jody,

                At 04:25 PM 9/14/1999 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hi Larry,
                >
                >> You cannot access the Alt+Menubar Letter commands from some
                >> areas of NoteTab. I do not know why this is so but it is.
                >
                >You know who I will tell that to! There is a maintenance release
                >coming you know. <g>

                I just remembered the only other place where this happened to me. The Clip
                Assistant cannot access the main menubar even from a clip directly
                activated in the Clip Assistant that uses ^!Keyboard Alt+Letter keys. So
                you can add that to Onopen and possibly Onclose and OnClipboardchange as
                well although I don't know about the last two as I have not tested it -
                when you tell Eric.

                Regards,

                Larry
                larryt@...
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
                  Hi Carl,

                  > I have had similar "un-luck" with Alt+Down as a part of clip to
                  > designate a particular printer... I gave up on the clip
                  > thinking it was something in my computer.

                  Have you tried just the Down key. Normally keyboard commands
                  work well except for some of the upper level ones for the lack of
                  a better term like Alt+Tab, Ctrl+ESC. In my HP dialog the
                  printer area is focused when it opena and the down arrow changes
                  printers. Walk through it manually without the script and see
                  what it takes. Another problem could be you are not checking to
                  see if the printer dialog is focused and the command is being
                  spent elsewhere. ;-)

                  http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                  The NoteTab Clip List...
                  mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                • Kay Roath
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
                    09/14/1999 3:15 PM Larry Thomas wrote
                    > I just remembered the only other place where this happened
                    > to me. The Clip Assistant cannot access the main menubar
                    > even from a clip directly activated in the Clip Assistant
                    > that uses ^!Keyboard Alt+Letter keys.

                    Not totally :) I use this all the time from a Clip
                    Assistant clip -
                    ^!KeyBoard F6 Alt+T L C

                    Closes & reopens Clip Assistant after I've made changes :)

                    --- Grandma Kay ---
                  • Larry Thomas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
                      Hi Kay,

                      At 05:59 PM 9/14/1999 -0700, you wrote:
                      >09/14/1999 3:15 PM Larry Thomas wrote
                      >> I just remembered the only other place where this happened
                      >> to me. The Clip Assistant cannot access the main menubar
                      >> even from a clip directly activated in the Clip Assistant
                      >> that uses ^!Keyboard Alt+Letter keys.
                      >
                      >Not totally :) I use this all the time from a Clip
                      >Assistant clip -
                      >^!KeyBoard F6 Alt+T L C
                      >
                      >Closes & reopens Clip Assistant after I've made changes :)

                      Ok. So I missed one ;-) Please tell me ... why not ^!Keyboard F6 F6 to
                      close and reopen Clip Assistant? I tried it and it appears to work fine
                      for me.

                      Regards,

                      Larry
                      larryt@...
                    • Kay Roath
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 15, 1999
                        09/14/1999 6:19 PM Larry Thomas wrote
                        >>Closes & reopens Clip Assistant after I've made changes :)

                        > Ok. So I missed one ;-) Please tell me ... why not
                        > ^!Keyboard F6 F6 to close and reopen Clip Assistant? I
                        > tried it and it appears to work fine for me.

                        I like the Clip Editor so I have a clipbook that matches
                        ClipHelp & clips to update for me. Sometimes I use the clip
                        from the Clip Assistant & sometimes from the clipbook. The
                        menu item lets me do the clip no matter what QuickList was
                        last selected & ALWAYS loads a new ClipHelp. I don't find
                        toggles to be very useful in clips :(.

                        --- Grandma Kay ---
                      • Larry Thomas
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 15, 1999
                          Hi Kay,

                          At 01:16 AM 9/15/1999 -0700, you wrote:
                          >I like the Clip Editor so I have a clipbook that matches
                          >ClipHelp & clips to update for me. Sometimes I use the clip
                          >from the Clip Assistant & sometimes from the clipbook. The
                          >menu item lets me do the clip no matter what QuickList was
                          >last selected & ALWAYS loads a new ClipHelp. I don't find
                          >toggles to be very useful in clips :(.

                          This is an example of my lazy thinking when dealing with all of the
                          extensive features and functions of this program. I get involved with
                          writing clips for the Clip Assistant and all I think is F6 opens and closes
                          it but in fact F6 is for the Quick List which has three other settings
                          besides the Clip Assistant. I know this and I just spaced it out which
                          caused the dumb question. For this specific purpose, the toggle is fine
                          for me but for many other uses, I agree with your statement above. Thanks
                          for the info.

                          Regards,

                          Larry
                          larryt@...