Re: [Clip] Read Files without opening

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
      prlproductmanager wrote:

      > I'm sure I'm doing a clip as slowly as possible, but I can't figure
      > out how to speed it up.
      >
      > Here is what my clip does now:
      > Open this big huge tab-delimited file.
      > Find a certain variable.
      > Grab its line (into an array to get all variables in line)
      > Delete the line.
      > Save and close the big huge file.
      > Put the line information into a small destination html file.
      >
      > The clip may need to loop 1-n times until all of the lines containing
      > the variable are found, copied, deleted, and inserted into the
      > destination file. Also, the loop actually performs on 5 different
      > files, getting relevant information for %variable% from each file.
      >
      > This is A) Time consuming and B)causing Out of Memory errors.
      >
      > Can I read and delete a line without opening the file? Any other ways
      > I could speed this up?
      > thanks in advance,
      > Rayellen

      Rayellen,

      How large is 'huge'? If you're using Windows what version are you
      using, how much ram does your system have, free hard drive space, size
      of the pagefile, referred to as virtual memory?

      If you reply paste your clip into the email. Also, give us examples of
      the variables sought after and a small portion of the 'huge' file you're
      working on.

      Are the variables ever-changing, do you have to enter them one at a
      time, give a few examples? Or, are the sought for variables the same
      each time?

      I don't know of a way to find a variable, select the line containing the
      variable, copy it to another file, continue to search for and delete
      other lines containing that variable without actually loading the file.

      ºvº
      05.04.25
      hrs > hsavage@...