Re: [Clip] Re: better favourites / categories

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 14 8:53 PM
      Hi Robin,

      As Alan has said, the Outline feature of NT is very good for maintaining flat
      file DBs. It also has a Table of Contents feature. I use OTLs full of
      hyperlinks quite often. Read about Outline documents in Help.

      HTH

      Ray Shapp
    • escalation746
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 19 10:19 AM
        R Shapp wrote:

        > As Alan has said, the Outline feature of NT is
        > very good for maintaining flat
        > file DBs. It also has a Table of Contents feature.
        > I use OTLs full of
        > hyperlinks quite often. Read about Outline documents in Help.

        Thanks guys! I will look this up.

        In the meantime I wonder why the whole baroque clip language cannot be
        replaced with something more powerful, readable, standard, and easily
        embeddable.

        Like Python.

        Then I could be productive!

        -- robin
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 19 11:21 AM
          Hi Robin,

          >In the meantime I wonder why the whole baroque clip language
          >cannot be replaced with something more powerful, readable,
          >standard, and easily embeddable.

          Perhaps you have not used it enough and become more familiar with
          it to see its power. As far as readable goes, it was meant for
          those that don't know any coding to be able to learn because a
          lot of the commands and functions tell you what they do unlike
          the more common scripting codes that look like gibberish to me.
          That's not to put them down at all, just to say I can read the
          Clip Code, but not stuff like Perl, RegExp, etc.

          Now, I'm trying to recall something from many years ago, so I
          don't know if it is exactly correct, but you knowing other
          languages might be able to figure out what I am saying. To the
          best of my knowledge NoteTab is written the way it is so that you
          can mix plain text and work with plain text directly in the code
          and to my understanding the other languages don't work like that.
          It has something to do on those lines. If that makes no sense,
          let me know and I'll try to hunt down or ask Eric exactly what it
          is I am trying to recall.

          I don't know what you mean by embeddable. Embedded where? It works
          on files, text, etc. not in them.

          > Then I could be productive!

          I somehow get 1000s of hours into a 8-12 hour work day sometimes. ;)
          Daily I get probably 100s. It just depends on what I am doing.

        • Alan C
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 19 12:22 PM
            escalation746 wrote:

            >R Shapp wrote:

            [ . . ]

            >> the Outline feature of NT is
            >>very good for maintaining flat
            >>file DBs. It also has a Table of Contents feature.
            >>I use OTLs full of
            >>hyperlinks quite often. Read about Outline documents in Help.
            >>

            >[ clips ]
            >replaced with something more powerful, readable, standard, and easily
            >embeddable.
            >
            >Like Python.

            Perl is supported. So is awk. But I don't know about Python (haven't
            heard that it is).

            I view the clips as more like, say, Qbasic (an old language). Uses
            goto. Clips seem to at least sometimes use something that might be
            called like screen objects. For instance, cursor, position of cursor,
            certain specific selected area of text. Keeping that and the mechanics
            thereof in mind seems to at least sometimes help me.

            Getting back to favorites, it may be worth a look that

            http://www.dataomega.com/insight/index.htm

            That is meant as a compliment or to co exist with Notetab. It has links
            in favorites (I think) (I'm not a favorites person). It has can write
            your own sendto definitions (can send to (perhaps a Python and a Python
            script)). I have send to Perl and a Perl script with it. It may even
            auto reload the changes. Can sendto Notetab if want to run a clip.
            Some of this I don't all fully remember the details because I'm so busy
            and I run Linux a lot too in addition to MS Windows.

            Alan.
          • Alan C
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 19 6:22 PM
              Alan C wrote:
              [ .exe, script, language engine(s) compatible with Notetab ]

              >But I don't know about Python (haven't
              >heard that it is).

              I'd place my bet that it is supported (works with Notetab, that is, Python)

              --
              If you need use of language engine other than Perl (with exception
              of runawk) then must use runscript (a clip command).

              See that url for even more.

              --

              ^!Set %ntpscripshort%=^$GetShort("^$GetScriptPath$")$
              ^!Set %myfile%=^**

              ^!Set %ntpscripshort%=^$GetShort("^$GetScriptPath$")$
              ^!Set %myfile%=^**
              ^!Set %myfile%=^$GetShort("^%myfile%")$
              ^!RunScript "^$GetPerlExe$ ^1 ^%myfile%" "^%ntpscripshort%tag2para.pl"
              ; ----<end-clip<

              There's two clips, each calls up a different Perl script. Pay particular
              attention to all of the getshort utilized as well as the double quotes
              utilized
              in the runscript lines.

              Substitute ^$GetPerlExe$ for/with Python.exe

              Substitute (the very right hand part that's in its own quotes) for/with
              "path_to_python_script.py"

              In other words, the above two clips, take note of the runscript line:
              each line has five items, each item in the line is separated by a
              space. Of those five items, there are two items that are Perl
              specific. So, to go with Python, just substitute the two Perl specific
              items for the pertinent Python items.

              Also of note above: ^%myfile% happens to be the current focused document
              in Notetab.

              I think there's also an even simpler form of ^!RunScript but I'm unsure
              of this. Also take a look in the samplecode clip library there's a Perl
              "clip" if you will (a Perl script is contained within the clip library
              itself take note that this Perl script is called just in a fashion
              nearly as if it is a subroutine call, VERY similar (the same principle
              really) as use of the ^!Clip command which calls a child (sub routine) clip.

              I'm wondering if this method of Perl (or whatever language code other
              than clip) inside the clip library can work with Python or yet another
              with using the ^!RunScript command. It might. I don't remember trying it.

              That's not too unhandy -- call it as a separate clip from within its own
              clip library.

              If embedded is having clip code on some lines with Python code on other
              lines inside the same clip (which cannot do to my knowlege) then what I
              shared above comes close, not far off.

              Alan.
            • escalation746
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24 7:30 PM
                Alan C wrote:

                > If you need use of language engine other than Perl (with exception
                > of runawk) then must use runscript (a clip command).

                Ok, thanks. At some time I will try to parse all of that ! wierdness
                and figure out how to get stuff running.

                -- robin
              • escalation746
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 24 7:35 PM
                  Jody wrote:

                  > Perhaps you have not used it enough and become more familiar with
                  > it to see its power. As far as readable goes, it was meant for
                  > those that don't know any coding to be able to learn because a
                  > lot of the commands and functions tell you what they do unlike
                  > the more common scripting codes that look like gibberish to me.

                  Look at Python and it looks like pseudocode that anyone could write.
                  And more importantly, read.It is almost immediately understandable.
                  Having used programming languages for 25 years I can say I certainly
                  do not want to learn another one unless it is at least as readable as
                  Python.

                  I am sure the clip language can be used to do many things. But it is
                  complex beyond necessity, and I am lazy. All my energy I devote to
                  other people. Devoting energy to computers just seems a waste. :-)

                  > I don't know what you mean by embeddable. Embedded where? It works
                  > on files, text, etc. not in them.

                  I just mean that it is easy to embed Python into other programs, like
                  NoteTab. So rather than invent some other new scripting language one
                  can use an existing superior tool.

                  -- robin