Re: [Clip] Digest Number 1492

  • C. H. Sulka (Digital Technology, Inc.)
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2005
      Mr. Savage:

      I am not yet fluent with clips but becoming so is high on my list of
      priorities. Your suggestion of using a permanent clipboard file for a
      pasteboard with NTB started me thinking.

      There is a software product called EVERNOTE which basically keeps a
      perpetual file of everything you send to the pasteboard--text, graphics,
      web pages, downloaded information, even music I think. This allows you
      to retrieve anything you have ever noted at some future time. I cannot
      run the program because it requires Windows XP, which I don't yet use,
      but I think I'd like it. After thinking about it a bit, it occurred to
      me that your approach might easily be used to accomplish the same end.

      Could a person use your approach, saving everything of interest
      including web pages, graphics, etc. (using hotkeys to save from other
      aps, I wonder?) to a dedicated pasteboard file in NTP and then save
      these files on a daily basis? As in

      C:\path\CLIPBOARD\YYYYMMDD.

      Your clip could append to the daily file where multiple sessions were
      conducted on any given day, make sure the previous day's last session
      was appended and saved, then create a new file for the current date.
      The date and time could be inserted automatically at the beginning of
      the file for reference and in case the filing system got revised.

      Thus using your system we have a perpetual pasteboard file set that can
      be searched by individual date or range of dates using the multiple open
      function.

      The tricky part, as I see it, would be to save file types other than
      text or html in the file. Might it be possible to save a photo, for
      example, inside the NTP file in binary form? Could a clip insert a note
      such as [FILETYPE] SAVED FROM [APPLICATION]? Examples:

      [.RTF] SAVED FROM [MS WORKS] or
      [.JPG] SAVED FROM [MOZILLA] or
      [.TIF] SAVED FROM [TEXTBRIDGE PRO]

      If the special data wasn't obvious then maybe a clip could insert a line
      of dashes "------" at the beginning and end as separators.

      If this can be done, then the file could be opened in NTP in binary
      (???) and the non-text data blocks could be viewed in the native aps?
      I'm still studying on the issue of opening other aps from within NTP but
      from what I understand it is possible. One could highligt the .JPG data
      and then view it by accessing a photo viewer ap or browser?

      An alternative to actually saving the non-text data inside the
      pasteboard file might be to use pointers to cross-reference any number
      of different file types, automatically saved in the same directory by
      YYYYMMDD which would inherently cross-reference with the day's
      pasteboard master index file, let's call it. For example,

      YYYYMMDD\PHOTOS\1.JPG
      YYYYMMDD\MUSIC\2.WAV
      YYYYMMDD\RICHTEXT\325.RTF

      This would allow infinite flexibility as absolutely any type of file
      could be incorporated into the scheme of things. It might also make the
      job of opening or viewing the file(s) in their native aps easier. But I
      may be getting ahead of myself here.

      If this would work we (I use the term "we" loosely here as I have not
      yet learned to program clips) would have the equivalent of a powerful
      and somewhat pricey custom ap (EVERNOTE) using NTP and a handful of clips.

      What are your thoughts on the possibilities here?

      Thanks,

      CHS

      ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > I use a permanent PasteBoard file, which is always loaded, and control
      > it with clips. I have 4 or 5 different clips for that purpose.
      >
      > Below is a clip I just built. If you don't have a PasteBoard file, it
      > will create one for you and save it using whatever name you choose by
      > editing the supplied filename of pasties.txt which you'll find in the
      > 3rd line, or leave the name as is.
      >
      > It will also turn on the PasteBoard function for that newly created
      > file. If you change the name, change only, pasties.txt.
      >
      > The second, and all succeeding times the clip is run it will load the
      > PasteBoard file if it isn't loaded, or, it will simply toggle the
      > PasteBoard function on and off, depending which state it is in.
      >
      > (H. Savage)

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 19, 2005
        C. H. Sulka (Digital Technology, Inc.) wrote:

        > Mr. Savage:
        >
        > I am not yet fluent with clips but becoming so is high on my list of
        > priorities. Your suggestion of using a permanent clipboard file for a
        > pasteboard with NTB started me thinking.
        >
        > There is a software product called EVERNOTE which basically keeps a
        > perpetual file of everything you send to the pasteboard--text, graphics,
        > web pages, downloaded information, even music I think.
        >
        > Could a person use your approach, saving everything of interest
        > including web pages, graphics, etc.
        >
        > C:\path\CLIPBOARD\YYYYMMDD.
        >
        > Your clip could append to the daily file where multiple sessions were
        > conducted on any given day, make sure the previous day's last session
        > was appended and saved, then create a new file for the current date.
        >
        > Thus using your system we have a perpetual pasteboard file set that can
        > be searched by individual date or range of dates using the multiple open
        > function.
        >

        > What are your thoughts on the possibilities here?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > CHS

        chs,

        Sorry it's taken so long to answer, I been a little preoccupied with
        other things and also needed a little time to consider the foregoing
        questions/suggestions.

        As you know, Notetab is a text editor, I don't believe any of the clip
        language 'clipboard' commands/functions allow you to deal with anything
        but text. The only possible exception might be the ^!Keyboard macros,
        still, anything other than text may not be allowed either.

        There would be problems in determining filetypes for copied data so
        correct extensions would be used and many other things.

        I think a program to save everything copied to the clipboard would be
        nice for the short term, be switchable on and off, but with much use
        that could use up a lot of disk space. I, on a fairly regular basis, go
        through my PasteBoard file to delete many unneeded entries.

        You said EverNote requires XP but there are several other, older,
        clipboard utilities, most are probably shareware or freeware, that offer
        something similar to the functionality you're after.

        You could probably Google 'clipboard' or 'clipboard utilities' to find
        many examples.

        To answer your question, No, I don't think it can be done with NoteTab.
        If it could NoteTab would have to be open and the clipbook that
        contained the clip would have to be the current clip in the clipbook editor.

        ºvº
        05.04.19
        hrs > hsavage@...