Re: [Clip] Re: Sort On Specified Column

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2005
      No, but there are two ways you can do this anyway.

      1. Temporarily rearrange the order of your fields
      (I do this by inserting the desired sort field at the fornt of the
      line, and removing it after its sorted.

      2. If you know which text column you want to sort on, open a command
      window, and look at the help for the DOS "sort" command.

      at the command prompt (in the command window) enter:

      sort /?

      for the syntax in sorting on a specific column.

      Pipe the command to a new file, to keep from messing up your original.

      Something like (guessing at the switch):

      sort /c=6 filein > fileout

      Note: You can of course do this from a clip, capturing the output in
      a number of ways other than piping as well.

      Good idea, but terribly clumsy. What the PC_world needs is a serious sort programm that will sort on multiple fields

      Bruce