Re: [Clip] How single loading of program actually works

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 22, 2005
      Jamal:

      > I am curious, however, whether only a single copy is ever
      > in memory, or whether another copy loads, checks to see
      > if NoteTab is already running ...

      I certainly does it that way if you click a shortcut (confiormed with
      Process Explorer from sysinternals). I can't imagine it operating any
      differently if using a command line from within a running Notetab instance.

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2005
        Hi Jamal,

        My guess would be that when the start command is sent to NoteTab,
        it will check the multiple instances feature to see if it is set
        and will not start up if so. If you run Task Manager, it will not
        show even a flash of another app/window/instance trying to open,
        at least that is my experience. When I remember I'll ask Eric "in
        passing" in another eMail to him sometime.

        >I run some clips using the command-line syntax, and do not want
        >additional copies of NoteTab Pro loading into memory. This is a
        >default setting, which works as expected.
        >
        >I am curious, however, whether only a single copy is ever in
        >memory, or whether another copy loads, checks to see if NoteTab
        >is already running, and if so, activates its window and
        >terminates. If the latter behavior occurs, I wonder if there is
        >a slight performance penalty because of a second copy of the
        >program loading and then being unloaded.

        I've got Fookesability!
        Although at times, no sensibility. <g>
        http://clean-funnies.com

        Jody

        http://sojourner.us/software
        fookes.us, notetab.net
        bwbc.us, sojourner.us
      • Jamal Mazrui
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14, 2005
          Hi Jody,
          Based on the behavior of my screen reader utility (JAWS), I suspected
          that another copy of NoteTab was being quickly launched and then closed.
          I say this because the screen reader reloads its configuration settings
          for NoteTab when I run a clip from the command line. This is a minor
          problem because sometimes I have temporarily changed settings, e.g.,
          turned off the verbalizing of punctuation, and I lose those temporary
          changes, which are replaced by the default settings on disk.

          I have a suggestion for an additional way of running clips from the
          command line, which may avoid this problem. I read that another text
          editor (Zeus) runs a script from the command-line via syntax that sends
          it a DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) command with the script name as a
          parameter. I know little about DDE, but think it involves sending
          commands to an already-running program. Perhaps NoteTab could do this
          as well.

          Jamal

          My guess would be that when the start command is sent to NoteTab,
          it will check the multiple instances feature to see if it is set
          and will not start up if so. If you run Task Manager, it will not
          show even a flash of another app/window/instance trying to open,
          at least that is my experience. When I remember I'll ask Eric "in
          passing" in another eMail to him sometime.

          >I run some clips using the command-line syntax, and do not want
          >additional copies of NoteTab Pro loading into memory. This is a
          >default setting, which works as expected.
          >
          >I am curious, however, whether only a single copy is ever in
          >memory, or whether another copy loads, checks to see if NoteTab
          >is already running, and if so, activates its window and
          >terminates. If the latter behavior occurs, I wonder if there is
          >a slight performance penalty because of a second copy of the
          >program loading and then being unloaded.

          I've got Fookesability!
          Although at times, no sensibility. <g>
          http://clean-funnies.com

          Jody

          http://sojourner.us/software
          fookes.us, notetab.net
          bwbc.us, sojourner.us

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 14, 2005
            Hi Jamal,

            >Based on the behavior of my screen reader utility (JAWS), I
            >suspected that another copy of NoteTab was being quickly launched
            >and then closed. I say this because the screen reader reloads its
            >configuration settings for NoteTab when I run a clip from the
            >command line. This is a minor problem because sometimes I have
            >temporarily changed settings, e.g., turned off the verbalizing of
            >punctuation, and I lose those temporary changes, which are
            >replaced by the default settings on disk.

            You are correct. It is a Windows feature and the command-line
            thing that causes the second instance to try to be opened. Eric
            cannot change that, but can only trap and close it like you first
            said.

            The second instance never loads though (NoteTab, Toolbar,
            Clipbar, Clipbook, etc.). The command-line is trapped and the
            information retrieved then passed to the running copy of NoteTab,
            so there isn't any performance loss to speak of.

            >I have a suggestion for an additional way of running clips from
            >the command line, which may avoid this problem. I read that
            >another text editor (Zeus) runs a script from the command-line
            >via syntax that sends it a DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) command
            >with the script name as a parameter. I know little about DDE,
            >but think it involves sending commands to an already-running
            >program. Perhaps NoteTab could do this as well.

            Eric said that Microsoft has not recommended DDE for years, so he
            will not be using it.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 14, 2005
              Thanks for looking into this with the developer and relaying the
              explanation.

              Regards,
              Jamal

              >Based on the behavior of my screen reader utility (JAWS), I
              >suspected that another copy of NoteTab was being quickly launched
              >and then closed. I say this because the screen reader reloads its
              >configuration settings for NoteTab when I run a clip from the
              >command line. This is a minor problem because sometimes I have
              >temporarily changed settings, e.g., turned off the verbalizing of
              >punctuation, and I lose those temporary changes, which are
              >replaced by the default settings on disk.

              You are correct. It is a Windows feature and the command-line
              thing that causes the second instance to try to be opened. Eric
              cannot change that, but can only trap and close it like you first
              said.

              The second instance never loads though (NoteTab, Toolbar,
              Clipbar, Clipbook, etc.). The command-line is trapped and the
              information retrieved then passed to the running copy of NoteTab,
              so there isn't any performance loss to speak of.

              >I have a suggestion for an additional way of running clips from
              >the command line, which may avoid this problem. I read that
              >another text editor (Zeus) runs a script from the command-line
              >via syntax that sends it a DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) command
              >with the script name as a parameter. I know little about DDE,
              >but think it involves sending commands to an already-running
              >program. Perhaps NoteTab could do this as well.

              Eric said that Microsoft has not recommended DDE for years, so he
              will not be using it.

              >Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 10:55 AM
              >
              >Hi Jamal,
              >
              >My guess would be that when the start command is sent to NoteTab,
              >it will check the multiple instances feature to see if it is set
              >and will not start up if so. If you run Task Manager, it will not
              >show even a flash of another app/window/instance trying to open,
              >at least that is my experience. When I remember I'll ask Eric "in
              >passing" in another eMail to him sometime.
              >
              >> I run some clips using the command-line syntax, and do not
              >> want additional copies of NoteTab Pro loading into memory.
              >> This is a default setting, which works as expected.
              >>
              >> I am curious, however, whether only a single copy is ever in
              >> memory, or whether another copy loads, checks to see if
              >> NoteTab is already running, and if so, activates its window
              >> and terminates. If the latter behavior occurs, I wonder if
              >> there is a slight performance penalty because of a second copy
              >> of the program loading and then being unloaded.

              Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.us
              Aid4Mail eMail Converter and Achiver: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

              Yahoo! Groups Links