Re: [Clip] Closing DOS window

  • abairheart
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 9, 2005
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Abe Landsberg <abeflaco@y...> wrote:
      > Jody and Abairheart, I tried putting a space between /D and the
      quoted command
      > path for NoteTab, but that didn't help. The "DOS" window closes,
      but NoteTab
      > does not start.
      >
      > Abairheart, I had not thought of using the "cmd" command. I tried:
      >cmd /c
      > "C:\...\NoteTab Light\NoteTab.exe", which started NoteTab, but left
      the "DOS"
      > window open.
      >
      > Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Does this means that
      there is no
      > way to start NoteTab from a "DOS" window and have the "DOS" window
      close after
      > NoteTab starts?

      Perhaps it's time to ask a couple of silly questions. What Windows
      version are you using? I use DOS batchfiles to start a number of
      things in Win XP.

      AND, you're not opening the DOS window before running the batchfile,
      are you?

      My DOS windows always close (without any commandline switches at all.

      For example:
      ----8<----
      @echo OFF
      start notepro.exe L/:"utilities.clb"
      ----8<----

      runs NoteTab and closes the DOS window. Look up the commandline
      switch -- I don't think I have it quite correct.

      I start Notetab with different INI file, depending on the user ID
      logged in, by associating text files with a batchfile. This DOS
      window also closes after NoteTab starts (thought there is a bit of a
      delay).

      If I were you I'd look at some operating system related causes.
      Place the batchfile into the same folder as NotePro.exe. Otherwise
      you have some path issues, that make getting this correct more
      difficult.
      Try the simples batchfile possible, and set the echo ON, for
      debugging. Once it's running you can turn echo OFF on the first line
      of thebatchfile.

      One last suggestion. You could, in desperation, add the
      command "EXIT" in the batchfile, AFTER starting Notetab. I havn't
      tested this in a batchfile, but EXIT from the commandline will close
      the current DOS window.

      Good Luck,

      Abair.
    • Abe Landsberg
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 15, 2005
        John, thanks for your interest and input.

        H. Savage, thank you for the information on NoteTab minimization.

        Jody, thanks for the information on keyboard-related commands. The organization
        of my responses was due to necessity. I'm able to check my e-mail only once
        each day or two, and I figured it would be a good way to reduce the group's
        inbox clutter.

        To everyone who responded: Many thanks for your help. Not only did I get a
        solution (thanks again, Hugo), but I received enough useful information that I
        am generating a "NoteTab Tips" file for my personal use based on the
        information you've sent.

        Thanks again!

        -Abe