Re: [Clip] Closing DOS window

    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 4, 2005
      Hi Abe,

      Assuming this was just a typo in your message:

      Is in message: "C:\...\NoteTab /L=MyClips:CloseDOS"

      Should be: "C:\...\NoteTab" /L="MyClips:CloseDOS"

      Instead of running the bat file first, try the NoteTab command-
      line above and run your bat file from a Clip. From my little
      knowledge about DOS windows and the Clips I have the DOS window
      will automatically close. If not, then you could use ^!FocusApp
      "dos window"

      >I do not think that there are any "bad lines" in the batch file. No messages
      >(error or otherwise) are produced. (What I described happens if the batch file
      >contains only the line invoking NoteTab.) The last line of the batch file
      >starts NoteTab. NoteTab starts correctly. The "DOS" window stays open because
      >NoteTab does not exit. (In other words, the batch file does not "end" because
      >NoteTab does not "return" to it, because NoteTab does not exit.) I can close
      >the "DOS" window manually with the keyboard. My Clip is an attempt to
      >automatically close the "DOS" window and keep NoteTab open, but fails (closes
      >NoteTab and the "DOS" window) when the ^!FocusApp "Command Prompt" is
      >encountered.
      >
      >I would like to know why ^!FocusApp "Command Prompt" closes NoteTab, and how I
      >can close just the "DOS" window.
      >
      >Thanks.
      >
      >-Abe
      >
      >--- Dave <dmc43959@...> wrote:
      >> Hi
      >> you do not need a close DOS window clip ,it will close when the batch ends
      >> ,when it stays open it usually means there are bad lines in your batch file
      >> .
      >> Notetab will start with the latest settings in the ini.
      >> >
      >> > This is a low priority problem.
      >> >
      >> > I'm using NoteTab Light on Windows XP. I run a batch (.bat) file on
      >> > Windows
      >> > start-up, the last line of which starts NoteTab and runs a Clip
      >> > ("C:\...\NoteTab /L=MyClips:CloseDOS"). I want this Clip to close the
      >> > command
      >> > prompt ("DOS") window running the batch file, and leave NoteTab running.
      >> > The
      >> > first line of this Clip is ^!FocusApp "Command Prompt". Even if that is
      >> > the
      >> > only line in the Clip, it closes NoteTab! (Closing NoteTab closes the
      >> > command
      >> > window, of course, but I want to leave NoteTab open.) (The second line of
      >> > my
      >> > Clip was going to be ^!Keyboard ALT+SPACEBAR C.)

    • Abe Landsberg
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 15, 2005
        John, thanks for your interest and input.

        H. Savage, thank you for the information on NoteTab minimization.

        Jody, thanks for the information on keyboard-related commands. The organization
        of my responses was due to necessity. I'm able to check my e-mail only once
        each day or two, and I figured it would be a good way to reduce the group's
        inbox clutter.

        To everyone who responded: Many thanks for your help. Not only did I get a
        solution (thanks again, Hugo), but I received enough useful information that I
        am generating a "NoteTab Tips" file for my personal use based on the
        information you've sent.

        Thanks again!

        -Abe