Quoting for spam reports

  • Jason W.
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2005
      Howdy clip list,

      (I think this might be the first time I've posted over here <g>)

      I've been using Notetab for text editing, not really programming since
      I need the syntax highlighting to be able to tell what's going on. It
      does great with text manipulation. Quite a few times, I've had to go
      quote an email so I can paste it somewhere else. Is there any way to
      automate that? i usually start up Notetab, paste in my email to be
      quoted, and I'd like to be able to click a button or something like
      that to have it quoted.. It'd be really cool if Notetab would ask me
      what character I want the quote to be. So if I was posting a message
      header and I told it to use H:, then my text would look like

      H: Return-path: <blah@...>
      H: Received: ................
      H: ...... more of the same header.......
      H: Received.........
      H: From: ....
      H: Date: ....
      H: Subject: ....

      Any ideas? Clips confuse me since I'm more of a C++/Perl/Javascript
      person. Thanks much in advance (TMIA? <g>)

      --
      Jason

      EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2005
        Jason W. wrote:
        > Howdy clip list,
        >
        > (I think this might be the first time I've posted over here <g>)
        >
        > I've been using Notetab for text editing, not really programming since
        > I need the syntax highlighting to be able to tell what's going on. It
        > does great with text manipulation. Quite a few times, I've had to go
        > quote an email so I can paste it somewhere else. Is there any way to
        > automate that? i usually start up Notetab, paste in my email to be
        > quoted, and I'd like to be able to click a button or something like
        > that to have it quoted.. It'd be really cool if Notetab would ask me
        > what character I want the quote to be. So if I was posting a message
        > header and I told it to use H:, then my text would look like
        >
        > H: Return-path: <blah@...>
        > H: Received: ................
        > H: ...... more of the same header.......
        > H: Received.........
        > H: From: ....
        > H: Date: ....
        > H: Subject: ....
        >
        > Any ideas? Clips confuse me since I'm more of a C++/Perl/Javascript
        > person. Thanks much in advance (TMIA? <g>)

        Not enough information actually, but this might be helpful to you.
        What email program are you copying from? What do you do with the data
        you copy?
      • Jason W.
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2005
          On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:22:10 -0500, Don - htmlfixit.com
          <don@...> wrote:

          > Not enough information actually, but this might be helpful to you.
          > What email program are you copying from? What do you do with the data
          > you copy?

          Well dang! I guess I wasn't clear then :)

          It will vary where the data comes from - sometimes Gmail, sometimes
          Outlook, just whever the message to be quoted comes from. I don't
          expect the clip to do any copy/pasting, I can handle that part myself
          - plus I hate things messing with my clipboard :)

          Here's some pseudo-code:
          Begin Clip - activated by shortcut key, menu item, toolbar button,
          whatever <grin>
          Ask the user what text to use as a quote maker. I'd use H: the most
          (but I might want > or : at times) - Space after the default
          symbol/letter so user can specify how many spaces he/she wants with no
          spaces added later
          For every line in the document (assuming Word Wrap isn't influencing
          what is a line):
          Insert the quote marker at the beginning of the line - since the
          space is included in the above prompt, don't automatically add one.
          End clip

          So the document

          1
          2
          3

          would become (assuming a quote marker of H: )

          H: 1
          H: 2
          H: 3

          and

          1 this is a very long line that has been hard wrapped elsewhere....
          .... here is more of the same line that has been hard wrapped elsewhere.

          would be

          H: 1 this is a very long line that has been hard wrapped elsewhere....
          H: .... here is more of the same line that has been hard wrapped
          elsewhere.

          Hopefully, this is more clear :)

          Thanks for taking the time to respond.

          --
          Jason

          EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
          http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about
        • Ben B
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2005
            On Saturday, Feb 12, 2005
            Jason W. wrote regarding "Quoting for spam reports";

            > Quite a few times, I've had to go quote an email so I can paste it
            > somewhere else. Is there any way to automate that? i usually start up
            > Notetab, paste in my email to be quoted, and I'd like to be able to
            > click a button or something like that to have it quoted.. It'd be
            > really cool if Notetab would ask me what character I want the quote to
            > be.

            Well, CTRL+Q will prepend an email quote character (or string) to
            selected lines. It's easy enough to add a button to the toolbar
            (right-click on the toolbar and select "Properties...", then check the
            box next to "E-Mail Quote"). NoteTab won't prompt for the character but
            you can specify whatever you like in View->Options->Internet.

            HTH
            Ben
          • Jason W.
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2005
              On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:04:58 -0800, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

              > Well, CTRL+Q will prepend an email quote character (or string) to
              > selected lines. It's easy enough to add a button to the toolbar
              > (right-click on the toolbar and select "Properties...", then check the
              > box next to "E-Mail Quote"). NoteTab won't prompt for the character but
              > you can specify whatever you like in View->Options->Internet.

              Ben,

              That's sort of what I do by hand. I want a space after the quote
              character so I have to do a Control-I for indent fist, then I did a
              Control-Q. That works in most cases, but if I have to quote a few
              emails/headers in one outgoing message, it'd be handy to have
              differnet quotes without going into Options.

              Thanks for the suggestion though!

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 15, 2005
                > Ben,
                >
                > That's sort of what I do by hand. I want a space after the quote
                > character so I have to do a Control-I for indent fist, then I did a
                > Control-Q. That works in most cases, but if I have to quote a few
                > emails/headers in one outgoing message, it'd be handy to have
                > differnet quotes without going into Options.
                >
                > Thanks for the suggestion though!

                Again, if you tell me what you are actually doing, I think I can write a
                clip. What email program are you using to look at the header? You copy
                it there, want to add the "quote" text, and then have it on the
                clipboard to copy somewhere else? Where are you pasting it?