Re: [Clip] Why the & Symbol

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
      jhomme wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I know the ^& symbol dictates where the cursor goes or exposes
      a piece of text in a clip, but what does the & by itself do in
      the code below?

      > ^!InsertWizardHtml <FORM ACTION="^?{&Action URL}"
      METHOD="^?{&Method=get|post}">^P ^&^P</FORM>^P

      > Thanks.
      >
      > Jim

      This, from NoteTab Help should help explain the use of ^& in a clip.

      Wrapping a Clip around selected text

      Normally, if you select text in your document and then paste an
      item from the Clipbook, the document selection is replaced by the
      Clip text. However, if the Clip text item includes the
      two-character code ^&, the highlighted text in the document is
      inserted at the code's position and the resulting text is pasted
      in the document. This feature is particularly useful when
      producing HTML documents. For example, if you have defined a
      Clipbook item under the title Italic:

      <I>^&</I>

      Selecting text in your document (for example NoteTab) and then
      double-clicking on the Italic item in the Clipbook will surround
      the text with the italic tags:

      <I>fabulous</I>

      ºvº
      05.02.04
      hrs > hsavage@...
    • Hugo Paulissen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
        jhomme, hrs,

        ^?{&Name}
        ^?{&Street=}
        ^?{Num&ber=}

        If you have a wizard like this, the & indicates the character that
        allows a keyboarder to jump to a specific field (The letter follwoing
        the ampersand is underlined). In the example above CTRL+N brings you
        directly to the name field, whereas CTRL+B would reposition the
        cursor in the Number-field...

        Hugo

        > jhomme wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > > I know the ^& symbol dictates where the cursor goes or exposes
        > a piece of text in a clip, but what does the & by itself do in
        > the code below?
        > >
        > > ^!InsertWizardHtml <FORM ACTION="^?{&Action URL}"
        > METHOD="^?{&Method=get|post}">^P ^&^P</FORM>^P
      • Jamal Mazrui
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
          Hi Hugo,
          I appreciate all your explanations and tips!

          One question about your post below: isn't the Alt rather than Control
          key applicable?

          Regards,
          Jamal

          If you have a wizard like this, the & indicates the character that
          allows a keyboarder to jump to a specific field (The letter follwoing
          the ampersand is underlined). In the example above CTRL+N brings you
          directly to the name field, whereas CTRL+B would reposition the
          cursor in the Number-field...

          Hugo

          > jhomme wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > > I know the ^& symbol dictates where the cursor goes or exposes
          > a piece of text in a clip, but what does the & by itself do in
          > the code below?
          > >
          > > ^!InsertWizardHtml <FORM ACTION="^?{&Action URL}"
          > METHOD="^?{&Method=get|post}">^P ^&^P</FORM>^P

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Hugo Paulissen
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2005

            > One question about your post below: isn't the Alt rather than
            Control
            > key applicable?

            Jamal,

            You're absolutely right about that, sorry...

            Hugo
          • Hugo Paulissen
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2005