Newbie question: turning off select once string is found

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
      Good day,

      I am sorry if this seems rather basic. I've searched the help on
      clips high and low and can not find an answer to a simple question.

      Once a string of text is found using the ^!Find command is there a way
      to turn off the select/block text and have the cursor remain at the
      end of the selected text?

      Also, is there a way to select where the cursor will line up once a
      string is found? In WordPerfect, for instance, once a string is found
      it is possible to have the cursor line up at the start or end of the
      string, or select the whole block of found text (ie., the criterion
      entered in the dialog box.

      Thanks in advance for the help.

      Cheers!
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
        Dan wrote:

        > Good day,
        >
        > I am sorry if this seems rather basic. I've searched the help on
        > clips high and low and can not find an answer to a simple question.
        >
        > Once a string of text is found using the ^!Find command is there a way
        > to turn off the select/block text and have the cursor remain at the
        > end of the selected text?
        >
        > Also, is there a way to select where the cursor will line up once a
        > string is found? In WordPerfect, for instance, once a string is found
        > it is possible to have the cursor line up at the start or end of the
        > string, or select the whole block of found text (ie., the criterion
        > entered in the dialog box.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for the help.
        >
        > Cheers!

        look at jump select end in help file
      • loro
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
          Dan wrote:
          >Once a string of text is found using the ^!Find command is there a way
          >to turn off the select/block text and have the cursor remain at the
          >end of the selected text?

          I've used ^!jump for that.

          ^!Jump select_end

          Lotta
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
            Dan wrote:

            > Good day,
            >
            > I am sorry if this seems rather basic. I've searched the help on
            > clips high and low and can not find an answer to a simple
            question.

            > Also, is there a way to select where the cursor will line up
            once a
            > string is found?
            >
            > once a string is found it is possible to have
            > the cursor line up at the start
            > or end of the string,
            > or select the whole block of found text
            >
            > Cheers!

            Dan,

            The default condition for ^!Find is to select the found text.
            Using the Find/Replace dialog, afaik, you have no option,
            however, using a clip, the ^!Find command, and ^!Jump commands
            below, from help, you can mimic the WordPerfect action.

            Use ^!Find followed by ^!Jump SELECT_START, to clear highlighted
            text and move the cursor to the beginning of found text.

            Use ^!Find followed by ^!Jump SELECT_END, to clear highlighted
            text and move the cursor to the end of found text.

            ^!Jump
            [LINE_START|LINE_END][SELECT_START|SELECT_END][TEXT_START|TEXT_END]
            Moves cursor to the indicated position. If the parameter is a
            number without a sign (+/-), the command will treat it as the
            line position from the start of the document. When a sign is
            used, the command will move the cursor a relative number of lines
            from the current position; a positive number moving it towards
            the end of the text and a negative number towards the start. If
            you don't specify a line number, you can use one of the following
            settings:
            LINE_START or LINE_END: places cursor at the beginning or end of
            the current line. This feature treats a line as if word wrap is
            turned off.
            SELECT_START or SELECT_END: places cursor at the beginning or end
            of the selection and unselects the text.
            TEXT_START or TEXT_END: moves to start or end of a plain document
            or the content of an Outline heading.
            DOC_START or DOC_END: moves to start or end of any kind of document.

            ºvº
            05.02.04
            hrs > hsavage@...