Why the & Symbol

  • jhomme
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4 9:15 AM
      Hi,
      I know the ^& symbol dictates where the cursor goes or exposes a piece of text in a clip, but what does the & by itself do in the code below?

      ^!InsertWizardHtml <FORM ACTION="^?{&Action URL}" METHOD="^?{&Method=get|post}">^P ^&^P</FORM>^P

      Thanks.

      Jim
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4 1:54 PM
        jhomme wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I know the ^& symbol dictates where the cursor goes or exposes
        a piece of text in a clip, but what does the & by itself do in
        the code below?

        > ^!InsertWizardHtml <FORM ACTION="^?{&Action URL}"
        METHOD="^?{&Method=get|post}">^P ^&^P</FORM>^P

        > Thanks.
        >
        > Jim

        This, from NoteTab Help should help explain the use of ^& in a clip.

        Wrapping a Clip around selected text

        Normally, if you select text in your document and then paste an
        item from the Clipbook, the document selection is replaced by the
        Clip text. However, if the Clip text item includes the
        two-character code ^&, the highlighted text in the document is
        inserted at the code's position and the resulting text is pasted
        in the document. This feature is particularly useful when
        producing HTML documents. For example, if you have defined a
        Clipbook item under the title Italic:

        <I>^&</I>

        Selecting text in your document (for example NoteTab) and then
        double-clicking on the Italic item in the Clipbook will surround
        the text with the italic tags:

        <I>fabulous</I>

        ºvº
        05.02.04
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4 3:26 PM
          jhomme, hrs,

          ^?{&Name}
          ^?{&Street=}
          ^?{Num&ber=}

          If you have a wizard like this, the & indicates the character that
          allows a keyboarder to jump to a specific field (The letter follwoing
          the ampersand is underlined). In the example above CTRL+N brings you
          directly to the name field, whereas CTRL+B would reposition the
          cursor in the Number-field...

          Hugo

          > jhomme wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > > I know the ^& symbol dictates where the cursor goes or exposes
          > a piece of text in a clip, but what does the & by itself do in
          > the code below?
          > >
          > > ^!InsertWizardHtml <FORM ACTION="^?{&Action URL}"
          > METHOD="^?{&Method=get|post}">^P ^&^P</FORM>^P
        • Jamal Mazrui
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4 3:35 PM
            Hi Hugo,
            I appreciate all your explanations and tips!

            One question about your post below: isn't the Alt rather than Control
            key applicable?

            Regards,
            Jamal

            If you have a wizard like this, the & indicates the character that
            allows a keyboarder to jump to a specific field (The letter follwoing
            the ampersand is underlined). In the example above CTRL+N brings you
            directly to the name field, whereas CTRL+B would reposition the
            cursor in the Number-field...

            Hugo

            > jhomme wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > > I know the ^& symbol dictates where the cursor goes or exposes
            > a piece of text in a clip, but what does the & by itself do in
            > the code below?
            > >
            > > ^!InsertWizardHtml <FORM ACTION="^?{&Action URL}"
            > METHOD="^?{&Method=get|post}">^P ^&^P</FORM>^P

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Hugo Paulissen
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6 3:04 PM

              > One question about your post below: isn't the Alt rather than
              Control
              > key applicable?

              Jamal,

              You're absolutely right about that, sorry...

              Hugo
            • Hugo Paulissen
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6 3:05 PM