Re: [Clip] Questions about the reg exp. engine. in Notetab

  • dvdwriters12
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
      It was meant to match anything between the two tags.

      <!-- test:{[A-Z0-9]+}\s -->
      <!-- START -->
      {.*?}
      <!-- END -->

      Its for code for a banner. I want to capture after scanning where it
      is in the file and change the html code between the two tags with
      something new.

      The html banner code could span multiple lines and could be in diff.
      but its always between those two tags and I search for it with
      test:{[A-Z0-9]+}\s on the line above it.

      It was made before I heard about Notetab and was the only way to do
      it.

      > the expression above.
      >
      > What did you want/expect it was going to be able to match?
      >
      > Regards ... Alec
      > --
      > ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []
      >

      > > <!-- test:{[A-Z0-9]+}\s -->
      > > <!-- START -->
      > > {.*?}
      > > <!-- END -->
      > >
      > > Which works fine in other programs but brings on error in
      > > notetab about closures
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
        Hi dvdwriter:

        If you *know* that there is just one occurence of <!-- END --> in the
        document then this should allow you to replace everything between the START
        and END tags by "whatever":

        ^!replace "{<!-- START -->}{\a*}{<!-- END -->}" >> "\1whatever\3" rws

        If you have to worry about multiple <!-- END --> tags you could modify the
        "Select between tags" clip in the Utilities library.
        Regards ... Alec
        --
        ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

        > It was meant to match anything between the two tags.
        >
        > <!-- test:{[A-Z0-9]+}\s -->
        > <!-- START -->
        > {.*?}
        > <!-- END -->
        >
        > Its for code for a banner. I want to capture after
        > scanning where it is in the file and change the html code
        > between the two tags with something new.
        >
        > The html banner code could span multiple lines and could
        > be in diff. but its always between those two tags and I
        > search for it with test:{[A-Z0-9]+}\s on the line above
        > it.
        >
        > It was made before I heard about Notetab and was the only
        > way to do it.
      • Alan_C
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
          Hi,

          Great ideas Alec shared.

          Follows, just an idea (that's all, nothing more) U decide if is feasible:

          (this might be if there are or happen to be more than one of the start
          or end tags)

          If dvdwriter knows how many lines the banner spans

          then, find the start tag then jump select a few lines then replace ^p
          (remove the line breaks) then would have one line to process

          Not that it's a MUST to have one line to process with a regex. But the
          default record separator in Notetab is the line break (meaning that the
          regex grabs one line at a time) unless you pass something to it like
          Alec did there to make it do otherwise but then also I think, careful,
          as Alec mentioned, of the greed issue.

          dvdwriter I wasn't sure that I had it straight what U seeking earlier:
          yes the regex command/code must be a one liner. More, though the
          default record separator is the line break (easier to regex when
          processing snags one line at a time), it is possible to make it process
          so as to go beyond the default setting. | Alan.

          ---- Original Message ---- From: "dvdwriters12" <dvdwriters@...>
          To: <ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 08:59
          Subject: [gla: Re: [Clip] Questions about the reg exp. engine. in Notetab
          >> It was meant to match anything between the two tags.
          >>
          >> <!-- test:{[A-Z0-9]+}\s -->
          >> <!-- START -->
          >> {.*?}
          >> <!-- END -->
          >>
          >> Its for code for a banner. I want to capture after
          >> scanning where it is in the file and change the html code
          >> between the two tags with something new.
          >>
          >> The html banner code could span multiple lines and could
          >> be in diff. but its always between those two tags and I
          >> search for it with test:{[A-Z0-9]+}\s on the line above
          >> it.
        • dvdwriters12
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
            Hi Alec,

            Your find / replace does work but it's not very useful as I have
            more than one banner on a page and using it deletes the rest of the
            banners.

            I'm not sure why Notetab is the only program that thinks

            {.*?}

            is not legal.

            Cheers