RE: [Clip] File paths in clips

  • Jamal Mazrui
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      The following excerpt from the ClipCode documentation describes a
      function that sounds like it would do the job:

      ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
      Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path). Since version
      4.8,
      this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
        > kld1956 wrote:
        >
        >>I need to insert the name of a file that I search for, using an Open
        >>File dialog box (^?[(t=o) Find file], but I don't want the full file
        >>path returned, just the name of the file.
        >>
        >>Is there a switch or mask that will remove the file path from the
        >>text returned?

        of course if you keep reading you might find these too ...
        ^$GetName(FileName)$
        Returns the name of FileName (without path or file extension). Since
        version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.

        ^$GetPath(FileName)$
        Returns the path segment of FileName (always ends with backslash). Since
        version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.

        Of course then I think you might need something like this:
        FileName maybe need to be replaced by ^*, ^**, ^#, or ^## codes to get
        the desired result
        that I don't find well documented and cannot search for in help ...
        every time I need to find special things like that they elude me. Same
        for %NL% and that type of stuff as well.
      • kld1956
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...>
          wrote:
          > Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
          > > kld1956 wrote:
          > >
          > >>I need to insert the name of a file that I search for, using an
          Open
          > >>File dialog box (^?[(t=o) Find file], but I don't want the full
          file
          > >>path returned, just the name of the file.
          > >>
          > >>Is there a switch or mask that will remove the file path from the
          > >>text returned?
          >
          > of course if you keep reading you might find these too ...
          > ^$GetName(FileName)$
          > Returns the name of FileName (without path or file extension).
          Since
          > version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and
          URLs.

          > ^$GetPath(FileName)$
          > Returns the path segment of FileName (always ends with backslash).
          Since
          > version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and
          URLs.

          > Of course then I think you might need something like this:
          > FileName maybe need to be replaced by ^*, ^**, ^#, or ^## codes to
          get
          > the desired result
          > that I don't find well documented and cannot search for in help ...
          > every time I need to find special things like that they elude me.
          Same
          > for %NL% and that type of stuff as well.

          2005-02-01 kld1956: Thanks for the help. I saw those in the help file
          but didn't really know what to do with them. Here is how I solved my
          problem:

          ^!set %filename%=^?{(t=o)Get file name}
          ^!find "intro.swf" its
          ^!insert ^$getfilename(^%filename%)$

          The first line lets me find the file name, using an Open File dialog
          box. The third line uses getfilename to strip out the file path.