File paths in clips

  • kld1956
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      I need to insert the name of a file that I search for, using an Open
      File dialog box (^?[(t=o) Find file], but I don't want the full file
      path returned, just the name of the file.

      Is there a switch or mask that will remove the file path from the
      text returned?
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        kld1956 wrote:

        > I need to insert the name of a file that I search for, using an Open
        > File dialog box (^?[(t=o) Find file], but I don't want the full file
        > path returned, just the name of the file.
        >
        > Is there a switch or mask that will remove the file path from the
        > text returned?

        Help -> Help on Clip Programming -> Search Tab || enter "filename" and
        hit enter || double click on Disk Files || scroll down until you find
        this as one of the highlighted terms:
        ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
        Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path). Since version
        4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.
      • Jamal Mazrui

          > I need to insert the name of a file that I search for, using an Open
          > File dialog box (^?[(t=o) Find file], but I don't want the full file
          > path returned, just the name of the file.
          >
          > Is there a switch or mask that will remove the file path from the
          > text returned?

          Help -> Help on Clip Programming -> Search Tab || enter "filename" and
          hit enter || double click on Disk Files || scroll down until you find
          this as one of the highlighted terms:
          ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
          Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path). Since version

          4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
            Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
            > kld1956 wrote:
            >
            >>I need to insert the name of a file that I search for, using an Open
            >>File dialog box (^?[(t=o) Find file], but I don't want the full file
            >>path returned, just the name of the file.
            >>
            >>Is there a switch or mask that will remove the file path from the
            >>text returned?

            of course if you keep reading you might find these too ...
            ^$GetName(FileName)$
            Returns the name of FileName (without path or file extension). Since
            version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.

            ^$GetPath(FileName)$
            Returns the path segment of FileName (always ends with backslash). Since
            version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.

            Of course then I think you might need something like this:
            FileName maybe need to be replaced by ^*, ^**, ^#, or ^## codes to get
            the desired result
            that I don't find well documented and cannot search for in help ...
            every time I need to find special things like that they elude me. Same
            for %NL% and that type of stuff as well.
          • kld1956
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...>
              wrote:
              > Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
              > > kld1956 wrote:
              > >
              > >>I need to insert the name of a file that I search for, using an
              Open
              > >>File dialog box (^?[(t=o) Find file], but I don't want the full
              file
              > >>path returned, just the name of the file.
              > >>
              > >>Is there a switch or mask that will remove the file path from the
              > >>text returned?
              >
              > of course if you keep reading you might find these too ...
              > ^$GetName(FileName)$
              > Returns the name of FileName (without path or file extension).
              Since
              > version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and
              URLs.

              > ^$GetPath(FileName)$
              > Returns the path segment of FileName (always ends with backslash).
              Since
              > version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and
              URLs.

              > Of course then I think you might need something like this:
              > FileName maybe need to be replaced by ^*, ^**, ^#, or ^## codes to
              get
              > the desired result
              > that I don't find well documented and cannot search for in help ...
              > every time I need to find special things like that they elude me.
              Same
              > for %NL% and that type of stuff as well.

              2005-02-01 kld1956: Thanks for the help. I saw those in the help file
              but didn't really know what to do with them. Here is how I solved my
              problem:

              ^!set %filename%=^?{(t=o)Get file name}
              ^!find "intro.swf" its
              ^!insert ^$getfilename(^%filename%)$

              The first line lets me find the file name, using an Open File dialog
              box. The third line uses getfilename to strip out the file path.