Temp file

  • John Parsons
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
      I have a clip that does some pre-processing on scanned text that I then
      paste into a wordprocessor.
      I would like notetab to close without giving me the "file has
      changed..." prompt (i.e discard the file)
      Any ideas on how to do that?

      Many Thanks

      Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8a5) Gecko/20041122 MultiZilla/1.8.0.0b Mnenhy/0.7
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
        John Parsons wrote:
        > I have a clip that does some pre-processing on scanned text that I then
        > paste into a wordprocessor.
        > I would like notetab to close without giving me the "file has
        > changed..." prompt (i.e discard the file)
        > Any ideas on how to do that?
        >
        > Many Thanks
        >
        > John

        John,

        At an appropriate place in the clip you could use; look in NoteTab help,

        ^!DestroyDoc [DocumentName]
        ^!DeleteFile FileSpecs
        ^!Close DISCARD

        and probably several other choices, depending on other actions.

        ºvº
        05.01.30
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • John Parsons
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
          On 30/01/05 20:15, hsavage weightily Declaimed:

          >John Parsons wrote:
          > > I have a clip that does some pre-processing on scanned text that I then
          > > paste into a wordprocessor.
          > > I would like notetab to close without giving me the "file has
          > > changed..." prompt (i.e discard the file)
          > > Any ideas on how to do that?
          > >
          > > Many Thanks
          > >
          > > John
          >
          >John,
          >
          >At an appropriate place in the clip you could use; look in NoteTab help,
          >
          >^!DestroyDoc [DocumentName]
          >^!DeleteFile FileSpecs
          >^!Close DISCARD
          >
          >and probably several other choices, depending on other actions.

          Thanks H
          The only problem is that I need to do some hand-editing before the file
          closes, so destroying the file actually in the clip is not an option. I
          suppose what I was hoping for was some way of marking the file as
          temporary while it was still open.
          Unless I could pause the clip??

          John
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
            John Parsons wrote:
            > On 30/01/05 20:15, hsavage weightily Declaimed:
            >
            >> John Parsons wrote:
            >>
            >>> I have a clip that does some pre-processing on scanned text that I then
            >>> paste into a wordprocessor.
            >>> I would like notetab to close without giving me the "file has
            >>> changed..." prompt (i.e discard the file)
            >>> Any ideas on how to do that?
            >
            > Thanks H
            > The only problem is that I need to do some hand-editing before the file
            > closes, so destroying the file actually in the clip is not an option. I
            > suppose what I was hoping for was some way of marking the file as
            > temporary while it was still open.
            > Unless I could pause the clip??
            >
            > John

            In addition to previous suggestions, ^!Save AS, and the appropriate
            path/filename will save the file without argument.

            You could, as you say, after the file to be edited is loaded, put the
            clip into a loop to allow hand-editing, after editing a hot-key would
            allow the clip to proceed.

            Here's a simple, but effective, loop to halt the clip to allow editing.
            It loops until you depress the Control key.

            ^!Delay 1
            ^!IfTrue ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$ SKIP_-1

            ºvº
            05.01.30
            hrs > hsavage@...
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
              hsavage wrote:
              > John Parsons wrote:

              >> John
              >
              > In addition to previous suggestions, ^!Save AS, and the
              appropriate
              > path/filename will save the file without argument.
              >
              > You could, as you say, after the file to be edited is loaded,
              put the
              > clip into a loop to allow hand-editing, after editing a
              hot-key would
              > allow the clip to proceed.
              >
              > Here's a simple, but effective, loop to halt the clip to allow
              editing.
              > It loops until you depress the Control key.
              >
              > ^!Delay 1
              > ^!IfTrue ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$ SKIP_-1

              John,

              I gave you an incorrect loop, instead of the above 2 lines use
              the below 2 lines, this will loop until Control is pressed.

              ^!Delay 1
              ^!IfFalse ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$ SKIP_-1

              ºvº
              05.01.31
              hrs > hsavage@...
            • abairheart
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, John Parsons <john.parsonsja@n...>
                wrote:
                > On 30/01/05 20:15, hsavage weightily Declaimed:
                >
                > >John Parsons wrote:
                > > > I have a clip that does some pre-processing on scanned text
                that I then
                > > > paste into a wordprocessor.
                > > > I would like notetab to close without giving me the "file has
                > > > changed..." prompt (i.e discard the file)
                > > > Any ideas on how to do that?
                > >
                > >At an appropriate place in the clip you could use; look in NoteTab
                help,

                > >^!DestroyDoc [DocumentName]
                > >^!DeleteFile FileSpecs
                > >^!Close DISCARD
                > Thanks H
                > The only problem is that I need to do some hand-editing before the
                file
                > closes, so destroying the file actually in the clip is not an
                option. I
                > suppose what I was hoping for was some way of marking the file as
                > temporary while it was still open.
                > Unless I could pause the clip??

                Pausing the clip is no problem, if you add a goto at the top of the
                clip, and a label, where you want to restart.

                In the goto, you want to place a variable target. For example:

                ; top of clip
                ^If "^%target%"="^%EMPTY%" SKIP
                ^!Goto ^%target%
                ^!Set %target%=BYPASS
                :BYPASS
                ;continue clip operation
                ;----------->8--------------

                This code can be used to re-enter clip repeatedly, at different
                locations.

                Just out of curiosity, why do you need to hand-edit a document before
                discarding it?

                Abair.
              • John Parsons
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
                  On 01/02/05 18:19, abairheart weightily Declaimed:

                  >Pausing the clip is no problem, if you add a goto at the top of the
                  >clip, and a label, where you want to restart.
                  >
                  >In the goto, you want to place a variable target. For example:
                  >
                  >; top of clip
                  >^If "^%target%"="^%EMPTY%" SKIP
                  >^!Goto ^%target%
                  >^!Set %target%=BYPASS
                  >:BYPASS
                  >;continue clip operation
                  >;----------->8--------------
                  >
                  >This code can be used to re-enter clip repeatedly, at different
                  >locations.
                  >
                  >Just out of curiosity, why do you need to hand-edit a document before
                  >discarding it?
                  >
                  >Abair.

                  Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm just trying them out to see what
                  approach suits best.
                  The reason for hand editing is that the material I'm scanning starts
                  with a heading in a different font and also a dropped cap on the first
                  line - now Finereader is 99% on basic text but struggles sometimes with
                  the heading/dropped cap combination, no combination of regep filters I
                  can think of will resolve the resulting jumble of lines (the clip is
                  basically to remove spurious line breaks so the material will paste into
                  a w/p)

                  Thanks again