Re: [Clip] Re: String Interpretation (was ^!If Bug ?)

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 7, 2005
      Alan

      No probs, and I really do appreciate the help from you and all the
      others on this group. I'm also a huge fan of NTB. I use it all day and
      every day and the more I delve into templates and clips the more mileage
      I get out of it.

      The term holy war alludes to the tendency of some group "discussions" I
      have seen, mainly in other fora, to descend into a ping pong match
      between believers and non-believers. I thought it was a common term, but
      perhaps not. In any case, no slight intended and sorry if I was a bit
      abrupt.

      I've started using Clip Assistant which will undoubtedly help keep me on
      the straight and narrow.

      Regards, John M

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 9, 2005
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Mitchell" <notetab@l...>
        wrote:
        > There was a fair bit of discussion about this. Due to delays in
        posts
        > making it to the Clips group it probably went on longer than
        necessary.

        > My bug report was submitted in good faith and whether or not I was
        doing
        > something I shouldn't is open to question since the documentation
        is not
        > at all clear regarding the interpretation of quoted strings and,
        per an
        > earlier append, in my opinion the way quoted strings are handled is
        > inconsistent.

        No offense intended. Yes, quotes handling is inconsistent in NoteTab.
        However, I believe the help file for ^!If commands does mention the
        need for quotes in string testing.

        Muddying the waters further:
        Where Help is NOT clear is in the side effects from various special
        characters. Not just the ones Jody mentioned '>>', but '^' and '#' as
        well.

        I don't recall if anyone mentioned the interaction of '>>' when it
        precededs or follows the '=' sign in the test.

        Consider the follwoing test:
        'If string=>>'
        This might parse as
        'If "string" => ">"'
        while
        'If >>=string'
        may parse as
        '">" >= "string"'
        rather than generating an error.

        Abair
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 11, 2005
          Hi Alan,

          Thanks for the mention. Awhile back I renamed it. It is now called

          ClipTut

          The following is a download for a Clipbook programming tutorial
          designed to walk you through Clip writing. It includes "Getting
          Started" (which is a web page with a number of images displaying
          different parts of NoteTab that deals with Clipbooks), making a
          Clipbook Library, adding Clips, and editing Clips, on to more
          difficult Clip writing. Be sure to read the Introduction also.
          Open ClipTut.clb and then click on the ClipTut.otl Outline Clip
          to open the Outline.

          All the contents of the zip files go in NoteTab's Libraries
          folder. http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip

          You can also sign up for the NoteTab Clips List to get answers to
          Clip questions, but please do not post there concerning the
          tutorial. NoteTab Clips Subscribe & Edit Options:

          Subscribe, unSubscribe, Options

          Happy Clip'n! Jody

          http://www.notetab.net http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm