Automate clips?

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 23, 2004
      I know that it's possible, when opening a template file, to enter info in a
      clip and have it repeated in other areas in the document. Is it possible to
      do this after the document is opened and information is already being entered.

      Let me explain: I have a newsletter template. When it opens, the date is
      filled-in, and a clip asks for input for the meta tag and the data is then
      repeated in other areas of the document. After that I then add other
      text/links to the document. When I am entering other text/links, I would
      like to be able to bring up a clip, enter text, and have it also copied to
      other designated areas of the document. Any suggestions?

      Thanks (in advance).

      Lee
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 23, 2004
        Don't you just use brackets for the input data? That way it fills all the
        other bracketed clip elements with the same info?

        For example, (and forgive me for absolutely now clip language at this moment
        at all, but I've been with my husband in the hospital) ^?[Newsletter Name],
        and from there on in, every time the clip encounters [Newsletter Name] it
        fills in the data automatically, without visible prompts? I think that's
        what I do.

        If it were misspelled, such as [Newletter Nam] it would prompt you for that
        field.
        That's probably badly explained, but it works for me.

        C.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 24, 2004
          Hi Christine and Lee,

          I hope you all have a blessed Christmas and great 2005!

          >Don't you just use brackets for the input data? That way it
          >fills all the other bracketed clip elements with the same info?
          >
          >For example, (and forgive me for absolutely now clip language at
          >this moment at all, but I've been with my husband in the
          >hospital) ^?[Newsletter Name], and from there on in, every time
          >the clip encounters [Newsletter Name] it fills in the data
          >automatically, without visible prompts? I think that's what I
          >do.
          >
          >If it were misspelled, such as [Newletter Nam] it would prompt
          >you for that field.

          You are correct Christine. So long as you use brackets (not
          braces) you just repeat the same wizard where you want the same
          data to be inserted into the document. You'll only see the one
          wizard field representing all the others that are *identical*.

          ^?[Insert data]
          ^?[Insert data]
          ^?[Insert data]

          Would insert whatever you enter into the wizard in the 3 places
          above...

          >Let me explain: I have a newsletter template. When it opens, the
          >date is filled-in, and a clip asks for input for the meta tag and
          >the data is then repeated in other areas of the document. After
          >that I then add other text/links to the document. When I am
          >entering other text/links, I would like to be able to bring up a
          >clip, enter text, and have it also copied to other designated
          >areas of the document. Any suggestions?

          You should also be able to set a variable from a wizard using
          brackets or braces and then just use the variable where you want
          the same data inserted.

          ^!Set %InsertData%=^?{Insert in 3 places below}
          ^%InsertData%
          ^%InsertData%
          ^%InsertData%

          There's a few functions that are programmed to work in templates,
          but I forget exactly what they are. I do not think it would
          prevent the aforementioned though.

        • Lee Underwood
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2004
            Jody and Christine,

            This method works fine when it is embedded in a template. However, I was
            looking for something I could use as I was working on the document, after
            creating it, saving it, and beginning editing. I know that it would have to
            be in the form of a clip. I just don't know if it could be done. Any ideas?

            Lee

            At 12/24/04 03:50 PM, Jody wrote:

            >Hi Christine and Lee,
            >
            >I hope you all have a blessed Christmas and great 2005!
            >
            > >Don't you just use brackets for the input data? That way it
            > >fills all the other bracketed clip elements with the same info?
            > >
            > >For example, (and forgive me for absolutely now clip language at
            > >this moment at all, but I've been with my husband in the
            > >hospital) ^?[Newsletter Name], and from there on in, every time
            > >the clip encounters [Newsletter Name] it fills in the data
            > >automatically, without visible prompts? I think that's what I
            > >do.
            > >
            > >If it were misspelled, such as [Newletter Nam] it would prompt
            > >you for that field.
            >
            >You are correct Christine. So long as you use brackets (not
            >braces) you just repeat the same wizard where you want the same
            >data to be inserted into the document. You'll only see the one
            >wizard field representing all the others that are *identical*.
            >
            >^?[Insert data]
            >^?[Insert data]
            >^?[Insert data]
            >
            >Would insert whatever you enter into the wizard in the 3 places
            >above...
            >
            > >Let me explain: I have a newsletter template. When it opens, the
            > >date is filled-in, and a clip asks for input for the meta tag and
            > >the data is then repeated in other areas of the document. After
            > >that I then add other text/links to the document. When I am
            > >entering other text/links, I would like to be able to bring up a
            > >clip, enter text, and have it also copied to other designated
            > >areas of the document. Any suggestions?
            >
            >You should also be able to set a variable from a wizard using
            >brackets or braces and then just use the variable where you want
            >the same data inserted.
            >
            >^!Set %InsertData%=^?{Insert in 3 places below}
            >^%InsertData%
            >^%InsertData%
            >^%InsertData%
            >
            >There's a few functions that are programmed to work in templates,
            >but I forget exactly what they are. I do not think it would
            >prevent the aforementioned though.
            >
            >Happy Clip'n!
            >Jody
          • Christine
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2004
              Kind of like a clip that says, "Find this in my document and replace it
              through-out with That," right?

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
                Thanks what I am looking for ...

                Lee

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Hi Lee,

                  >Thats what I am looking for ...

                  Hard coded:
                  ^!Replace "Find this" >> "Replace with" WASH

                  Prompted
                  ^!Replace "^?[Find]" >> "^?[Replace with]" WASH
                  or
                  ^!Replace "^?{Find=_^&|^=}" >> "^?{Replace with=_^&|^=}" WASH

                  You'll need to be more specific about what you want to do if those
                  do not halp.