[Clip] Re: Sorting queries.

  • Claes Gauffin
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 1999
      Hi John,

      At 00:14 1999-09-04 +1000, you wrote:

      >(6) Rather than open two text files, and then "cut and paste" the
      >second one to insert it at the end of the first one, is there any
      >quicker way to "open" (import ?) the contents of a second text file
      >directly to the end of an already open first file ?

      Hmmm, busy afternoon:-)
      Another clip I'm afraid.

      Regards /Claes

      ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
      ^!set %myix%=^$GetDocIndex$
      ^!Open ^?[(T=O)Import file]
      ^!Select ALL
      ^!Set %content%=^$GetSelection$
      ^!Close
      ^!SetDocIndex ^%myix%
      ^!Jump DOC_END
      ^!InsertText ^%content%
    • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 1999
        Claes,

        On Fri, 03 Sep 1999 16:55:22 +0200 Claes Gauffin <gauffin@...>
        writes:
        > (Anyone but me find this clip writing slightly addictive? Is there a CA
        (Clipwriters
        > Anonymous)?
        >
        > Regards /Claes

        Jody & I are charter members! ;)

        Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
        http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
        My Web Site: http://members.tripod.com/notlimaH/

      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 1999
          John Fitzsimons <johnf@...> wrote:

          >I am hoping that I can do the following WITHOUT using any clips BUT as
          >they might be needed I thought I would ask on this list.

          Most of your requests require clips. But I've written a toolkit
          called NoteAwk, just for situations like this. You shouldn't
          have to do much clip programming yourself.

          NoteAwk 4.25 is available from:
          http://landru.myhome.net/wayne/notetab.html

          >(1) In the following "list" of URLs I can "sort" on the first word of
          >each line. Is it possible to sort on the last word of each line ? If
          >so then what are the steps please ?

          In my NoteAwk clipbook: Sort Using GNU Sort

          >(2) Is it possible to search the list and show ONLY those lines that
          >have eg. "zdnet" in ? If so how ?

          In my NoteAwk clipbook: Find Line Matching Pattern

          >(3) Is it possible to show all lines EXCEPT those that contain
          >"zdnet" ? If so how ?

          In my NoteAwk clipbook: Find Line Matching Pattern
          Show non-matching lines

          >(4) Is there any way to block delete everything on every line EXCEPT
          >the file name ? If so how ?

          Possibly with NoteAwk. Either the "Remove fields matching pattern",
          or the "Rearrange fields" clips may help. This may take some
          strategic search and replaces to prepare the text first.

          >(5) To see the end of these lines one has to scroll. Is there any way
          >to "view" a NoteTab document a different size ? Like eg. Word,
          >WordPerfect etc. where one can shrink a page to eg. 50% to see
          >twice as wide a page ?

          NoteTab lets you add Font Size buttons to your toolbar.

          >(6) Rather than open two text files, and then "cut and paste" the
          >second one to insert it at the end of the first one, is there any
          >quicker way to "open" (import ?) the contents of a second text file
          >directly to the end of an already open first file ?

          First, look for "Insert File" in the Document menu.

          Also, the clip language has the command:
          ^!InsertFile FileName

          NoteAwk 4.25 is available from:
          http://landru.myhome.net/wayne/notetab.html

          There are some rough spots in it. Email me any questions
          you have about how to use it. If people would start sending
          me more feedback on where they have difficulty with it -
          what works well - and what features should be added, I may
          get back to work on an improved version. But I need
          feedback.

          --
          Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          ICQ: 15117288
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 1999
            09/03/1999 7:14 AM John Fitzsimons wrote

            > I estimate that I am about 50 years behind in reading
            > these posts so my apologies if any of these questions have
            > been answered recently.

            Those of us who have read every post can't remember all the
            questions that have been answered :)

            > I am hoping that I can do the following WITHOUT using any
            > clips BUT as they might be needed I thought I would ask on
            > this list.

            Here are the ones you can do without using clips.

            > (5) To see the end of these lines one has to scroll. Is
            > there any way > to "view" a NoteTab document a different
            > size ? Like eg. Word, > WordPerfect etc. where one can
            > shrink a page to eg. 50% to see > twice as wide a page ?

            No. The best you can do is use Document Menu|Font then
            Change Font or Decrease Font to get it as small as you can
            with the fonts you have. If you go with Decrease Font, it's
            easier to use a clip than work your way through the menu.
            ^!ToolBar Decrease Font Size
            or put it on your ToolBar or Shortcut menu using those tabs
            in Options.

            > (6) Rather than open two text files, and then "cut and
            > paste" the second one to insert it at the end of the first
            > one, is there any quicker way to "open" (import ?) the
            > contents of a second text file directly to the end of an
            > already open first file ?

            Document Menu|Insert File

            --- Grandma Kay ---
          • Kay Roath
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 1999
              09/03/1999 7:14 AM John Fitzsimons wrote
              > (1) In the following "list" of URLs I can "sort" on the
              > first word of each line. Is it possible to sort on the
              > last word of each line ? If so then what are the steps
              > please ?

              Does last word mean file name? If not, you could change '/'
              to '.' in the clip below.

              ----Start Clip----
              H=Sort urls by File
              ; Grandma Kay 09-03-99
              ; sort urls by text following last /
              ; use on copy of original doc
              ^!SetWordWrap False
              ^!Set %list%=
              ^!Set %num%=1

              :Loop
              ^!Jump ^%num%
              ^!KeyBoard Shift+End
              ^!Set %temp%=^$GetSelection$
              ^!Set %chop%=^$StrPosRight("/";"^%temp%";No)$
              ^!Inc %chop%
              ^!Set %end%=^$StrSize("^%temp%")$
              ^!Set %name%=^$StrCopy("^%temp%";^%chop%;^%end%)$
              ^!KeyBoard Home #^%name% #

              ^!Inc %num%
              ^!If ^%num% > ^$GetLineCount$ Sort ELSE Loop

              :Sort
              ^!StatusClose
              ^!ToolBar Select All
              ^!ToolBar Sort Ascending
              ;---End Clip---
            • Claes Gauffin
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 6, 1999
                Hi John,

                At 00:14 1999-09-04 +1000, you wrote:

                >(2) Is it possible to search the list and show ONLY those lines that
                >have eg. "zdnet" in ? If so how ?
                >
                >(3) Is it possible to show all lines EXCEPT those that contain
                >"zdnet" ? If so how ?

                I think the following clip does it.
                The speed of it can kindly be called modest, possibly dignified.
                Unless you have cows to milk or houses to paint during the wait, I wouldn't
                apply it to files with 10000+ lines.

                Regards /Claes

                H="Extended search"
                ^!SetWordWrap OFF
                ^!Jump TEXT_START
                ^!set %string%=^?[Search string]
                ^!set %case%=^?[Case sensitive==Yes^=""|_No^=I]
                ^!set %regexp%=^?[Reg exp==Yes^="R"|_No^=""]
                ^!set %lno%=^?[Add linenumbers?==_Yes|No]
                ^!set %pn%=^?[Collect lines...==_containing the search argument^=p|not
                containing the search argument^=n]
                ^!set %save%=""
                ^!If ^%pn%=n SearchNotArg
                :SearchArg
                ^!Find "^%string%" TS^%case%^%regexp%
                ^!IfError Done
                ^!set %linecont%= ^$GetLine$
                ^!set %n%=^$[^$StrSize(000^$GetRow$)$-3;0]
                ^!Set rownr=^$StrCopy("000^$GetRow$";^%n%;4)$
                ^!If ^%lno% = Yes Skip
                ^!Set rownr=""
                ^!Append %save%=^%rownr%^%linecont%^%NL%
                ^!If ^$GetRow$=^$GetLineCount$ Done
                ^!Jump +1
                ^!GoTo SearchArg
                :SearchNotArg
                ^!Select LINE
                ^!Find "^%string%" HTS^%case%^%regexp%
                ^!IfError NotThere
                ^!If ^$GetRow$=^$GetLineCount$ Done
                ^!Jump +1
                ^!Goto SearchNotArg
                :NotThere
                ^!set %linecont%= ^$GetLine$
                ^!set %n%=^$[^$StrSize(000^$GetRow$)$-3;0]
                ^!Set rownr=^$StrCopy("000^$GetRow$";^%n%;4)$
                ^!If ^%lno% = Yes Skip
                ^!Set rownr=""
                ^!Append %save%=^%rownr%^%linecont%^%NL%
                ^!If ^$GetRow$=^$GetLineCount$ Done
                ^!Jump LINE_START
                ^!Jump +1
                ^!GoTo SearchNotArg
                :Done
                ^!Toolbar New Document
                ^!InsertText ^%save%
              • Claes Gauffin
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 6, 1999
                  Hi Kay, John,

                  At 13:35 1999-09-03 -0700, you wrote:

                  >----Start Clip----
                  >H=Sort urls by File
                  >; Grandma Kay 09-03-99
                  >; sort urls by text following last /
                  >; use on copy of original doc

                  Perhaps a little cleaning up at the end?

                  Regards /Claes

                  ; Grandma Kay 09-03-99
                  ; sort urls by text following last /
                  ; use on copy of original doc
                  ^!SetWordWrap False
                  ^!Set %list%=
                  ^!Set %num%=1

                  :Loop
                  ^!Jump ^%num%
                  ^!KeyBoard Shift+End
                  ^!Set %temp%=^$GetSelection$
                  ^!Set %chop%=^$StrPosRight("/";"^%temp%";No)$
                  ^!Inc %chop%
                  ^!Set %end%=^$StrSize("^%temp%")$
                  ^!Set %name%=^$StrCopy("^%temp%";^%chop%;^%end%)$
                  ^!KeyBoard Home #^%name% xyzzy#

                  ^!Inc %num%
                  ^!If ^%num% > ^$GetLineCount$ Sort ELSE Loop

                  :Sort
                  ^!StatusClose
                  ^!ToolBar Select All
                  ^!ToolBar Sort Ascending