[Clip] Statistics on multi-word phrases

  • webmaster@bignetprofits.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 1999
      Wondering whether this is in the scope of NoteTab. We would like to run stats on not only a phrase in a document but the words that make up that phrase.

      Is there any way to program a clip that first brings up a dialog box for unique word(s) input ("sammy", "hits", "home", "run") and then have the clip run stats for not only these separate words, but also the words together as a phrase, "sammy hits home run" and then return the results.

      Or maybe that dialog box would come up and the phrase would be input and the clip would parse out each individual word in order to run stats.

      Thanks for any thoughts.
    • Charles M. Raine
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 1999
        At 08:26 AM 9/1/1999 -0700, you wrote:
        >Wondering whether this is in the scope of NoteTab. We would like to run
        >stats on not only a phrase in a document but the words that make up that
        >phrase.
        >
        >Is there any way to program a clip that first brings up a dialog box for
        >unique word(s) input ("sammy", "hits", "home", "run") and then have the
        >clip run stats for not only these separate words, but also the words
        >together as a phrase, "sammy hits home run" and then return the results.
        >
        >Or maybe that dialog box would come up and the phrase would be input and
        >the clip would parse out each individual word in order to run stats.
        >
        >Thanks for any thoughts.

        The answer to your first question is Yes.

        I would suggest the third option would be the more simple to program. I'm
        sure you are aware that any extra spaces between words could interfere with
        the phrase count, mind you elimination of extra spaces is a relatively
        simple matter. I have done that.

        Please contact me privately if you would like such a clip developed.

        Charlie.

        Charles M. Raine Home Page: http://www.escape.ca/~rainec
        Phone (204) 895-0940 ICQ # 300058
        Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 1999
          Hi Webmaster,

          > Is there any way to program a clip that first brings up a
          > dialog box for unique word(s) input ("sammy", "hits", "home",
          > "run") and then have the clip run stats for not only these
          > separate words, but also the words together as a phrase, "sammy
          > hits home run" and then return the results.

          I believe this is what you are asking for. I'm too brain dead to
          explain how it works now, if I even can - haha. You can type in
          up to eleven words or select the phrase. You can make it longer
          by adding more ListCounts in the :Info section. I be an ignernt
          hillbilly and do not know how to make an info box with just the
          count of the words after the Clip starts. I could do it with a
          scratch pad and delete it, but its not worth it to me. Perhaps
          one of the smart folk can show me how to do it without going
          through all that.

          <--- Copy below this line --->
          H=Phrase/Word Count
          ; 09/03/1999, Ntb-Clips@..., jody
          ^!ClearVariables
          ^!Jump 1
          ^!Set %Count%=0; %PhraseCount%=0; %FindCount%=0; %ListCount%=0; %n%=1
          ^!SetListDelimiter ^%Space%
          ; One line till SetHint...
          ^!Set %Criteria%=^?{Search criteria, add spaces between words (up to 11 total)=^$GetSelection$}; %Start%=^?{Start at beginning of doc==_Yes|No}
          ^!SetHintInfo Searching...
          ^!SetScreenUpdate Off

          ^!IfFalse ^%Start% Skip
          ^!Jump 1
          ^!Jump Select_Start

          :Phrase
          ^!Find "^%Criteria%" S
          ^!IfError SetArray
          ^!Inc %PhraseCount%
          ^!Goto Phrase

          :SetArray
          ^!If ^%PhraseCount% = 0 Error
          :DoAnyway
          ^!SetArray %FindList%=^%Criteria%
          ^!Set %Count%=^%FindList0%
          ^!Set %Index%=0

          :StartArray
          ^!Jump 1
          ^!Inc %Index%
          ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% Info

          :Word
          ^!Find "^%FindList^%Index%%" S
          ^!IfError Skip_2
          ^!Inc %FindCount%
          ^!Goto Word

          ^!Append %ListCount^%n%%=^%FindList^%Index%% = ^%FindCount%
          ^!Inc %n%
          ^!Set %FindCount%=0
          ^!Goto StartArray

          :Info
          ; Add more ListCounts following the same pattern for a larger phrase.
          ; One line till ^!Goto End
          ^!Info [L]^%Criteria% = ^%PhraseCount%^p^p^%ListCount1%^p^%ListCount2%^p^%ListCount3%^p^%ListCount4%^p^%ListCount5%^p^%ListCount6%^p^%ListCount7%^p^%ListCount8%^p^%ListCount9%^p^%ListCount10%^p^%ListCount11%
          ^!Goto End

          :Error
          ^!Skip [^%Criteria%] was not found in the document - uh, wrong file perhaps? <g> Search the file anyway?
          ^!Goto End
          ^!Goto DoAnyway

          <--- Copy above this line, right --->
          <--- click over the Clipbook and --->