Re: [Clip] Re: Extracting words from a file

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
      Even better, saves the German Characters

      ; by don at htmlfixit.com
      ; runs a text file and makes
      ; a list of all words that start
      ; with a capital letter
      ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
      ^!Toolbar Paste New
      ^!Replace "^P" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace ")" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "(" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace """ >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "^T" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "," >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "[" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "]" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "<" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace ">" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "~" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "!" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "@" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "#" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "$" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "%" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "^" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "&" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "*" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "_" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "+" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "=" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "|" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "{" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "}" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "\" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "/" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "?" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "." >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace ";" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace ":" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "•" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "– " >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "´" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "”" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "“" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "‘" >> " " ATIWS
      ^!Replace "`" >> " " ATIWS

      ^!Menu Modify/Spaces/Single Space
      ^!Replace " " >> "^P" ATIWS
      ^!Replace "^P’" >> "^P" ATIWS
      ^!Replace "^P-" >> "^P" ATIWS
      ^!Replace "^P " >> "^P" ATIWS
      ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
      ^!SetClipboard ^$StrSort("^$GetClipboard$";1;1;1)$
      ^!Select All
      ^!Toolbar Paste
      ^!Jump 1

      :DumpBad
      ^!Select +1
      ^!IfError END
      ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ NEXT ELSE SKIP_2
      ^!Keyboard DELETE
      ^!GoTo DumpBad

      ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP
      ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP_4
      ^!Select Eol
      ^!Keyboard DELETE
      ^!Keyboard DELETE
      ^!GoTo DumpBad

      :GoNext
      ^!Jump +1
      ^!GoTo DumpBad
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
        ; by don at htmlfixit.com
        ; any-non lowercase non-alphabetic
        ; character tests positive as Uppercase
        ^!SetArray
        %Original%="0";"1";"|";"?";"a";"@";"1";"+";"=";"F";"`";"~";"-";"q";"L";"[";"}";"
        ";"x"
        ^!Set %count%=0
        :Loop
        ^!Inc %count%
        ^!If "^%count%" > "^%Original0%" End

        ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^%Original^%count%%")$" = "1" UPPER ELSE NOTUPPER

        :UPPER
        ^!Info "^%Original^%count%%" is POSITIVE when tested as upper case --
        even if it isn't a letter
        ^!GoTo Loop

        :NOTUPPER
        ^!Info "^%Original^%count%%" is negative when tested as upper case
        ^!GoTo Loop

        Most interesting! IsUppercase is really NotLowercase! You would think
        that IsUppercase would first verify that the character is alphabetic,
        but it doesn't. IsLowercase works the same too, so it is really
        NotUppercase. Because of this you first need to check I guess to be
        sure it is alphabetic.

        These results are consistent I guess with what help says:
        ^$IsUppercase("Str")$ (added in v4.8)
        Returns 1 if Str does not contain any lowercase characters, and 0 if it
        does.

        I would think it SHOULD be does not contain any lowercase or
        non-alphabetic characters. But I guess you could have a contraction or
        hyphenated, etc. So maybe that isn't correct. In any event, just be
        aware and code accordingly.
      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004

          > I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
          > correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of
          words ,
          > and sort them case sensitive?
          >
          > 1. Replace all spaces in the document with "^P" to change the list
          > individual words (ignore puntuation, if you like.
          >
          > 2. Sort the list CASE SENSITIVE
          >
          > 3. Delete the lower case words
          >

          > 500 K files should contain about 80,000 words or so. Shouldn't take
          > more than a few minutes to do this by hand. If you have a lot of
          > files you can always write down the keystrokes you use, then do the
          > sort by Menu commands (^!Menu Modify/...). I think there's a
          > configuration switch to change sorting behaviour (remove duplicates
          > or not; case sensitive or not).
          >

          > Abair

          We're going around in circles...

          Isn't this what I proposed a few messages earlier?

          > What about this approach? You can easily see for yourself if this
          is
          > of any help.
          >
          > 1. replace " " with "^P" - don't know how fast that would be
          > 2. trim/left align the text (which should have most words on a
          > separate line by now)
          > 3. sort the document with [Case Sensitive Sorting] and [Remove
          > Duplicates] switched on (in options)
          >
          > Hugo

        • Hugo Paulissen
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
            Don,

            You wrote the kind of clip I had in mind and for which I didn't have the
            time. It was clear that NoteTab's regex was in the way... ;-). If I had the
            need for this clip I would definitely test it!

            Hugo

          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
              Hugo Paulissen wrote:
              > Don,
              >
              > You wrote the kind of clip I had in mind and for which I didn't have the
              > time. It was clear that NoteTab's regex was in the way... ;-). If I had the
              > need for this clip I would definitely test it!
              >
              > Hugo

              I used the ideas of three of you (plus as usual something out of
              noteblock). So it is a combination of three comments including yours,
              the one on deleting what was unneeded -- come to think of it putting the
              results in another file is four -- and the sorting alphbetically
              comment. I think if one really wanted to do it with a regex, perl would
              be a good choice, but for many that defeats the purpose because, even
              though perl is easy to run on a pc from notetab, it is another whole thing.

              I left screenupdate on so that you can kind of see it materialize and
              know it is working.
              I added a few special things that applied mainly to my test file, but
              won't hurt on another file (like deleting a leading hyphen).

              The most interesting thing I learned in the process is that IsUppercase
              means NOT Lowercase.
              Of course IsLowercase means NOT Uppercase as well. I first tested for
              it to be a number.
              Either will test positive for a non-alphabetic (white space,
              punctuation, numbers -- all test postitive under either of those).

              I had also forgotten the SKIP_# feature which I noticed when ripping
              something off in the NoteBlock Library. That came in handy. I knew
              SKIP but forgot you could skip multiple lines.

              I usually put something at the top of my clips in a comment to describe
              where they came from ... even though of course they usually come from a
              combination of you all. It is NOT to claim some level of ownership or
              anything because it is most often plagerized in essence to some degree
              or other, but rather to help if we have to later dissect it or make
              modifications.

              I have decided to start "keeping" some of the clips I work on here:
              http://htmlfixit.com/don_and_franki_news_blog_on_htmlfixit_dot_com/index.php?cat=14

              I figure that will help me find them in the future when I want to copy
              something from one of them for future use.
            • franz_sternbald
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                Hi all,

                @Don

                Thanks a lot - this was a great help to me! I've done some tests so
                far, and it has led to perfect results. The second solution (without
                DumpNumbers etc) reduced a file of 68,000 words to 3,590 words within
                8 minutes. All capitalized, and there's only very little stuff left
                that could be easily removed manually or with a few more Replace-
                lines (for example single letters A, B, C etc., some special
                characters like ¡¢£¤¥§©«)

                The first clip seemed to work rather long on my PC. I stopped the
                procedure after almost 2 hours. By then, it had reduced the same file
                to 7.890 words. Then I took a file of 2,000 lines only and compared
                the output of both clips with another tool. There was no big
                difference (the second one saved a few more umlauts). So I think the
                second clip is the better solution.

                With both clips, I didn't run into "Out of memory". The only message
                I got was "Some paragraphs were too long and had to be split." I
                think that won't affect the result.

                The second clip finds German umlauts (ÄÖÜäöü) as well and
                distinguishes properly between uppercase and lowercase umlauts. They
                are ASCII-sorted, but that's something we have to live with.

                Your Lowercase/Uppercase Test Clip shows that numbers and special
                characters like @?+=[ etc. are interpreted as lowercase characters
                although they are not alphabetic.

                I'll let you know in case I still get into any trouble...

                @Abair & Hugo

                > I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
                > correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of words,
                > and sort them case sensitive?

                The intention is to create an index of a text database, that is a
                list of keywords (headwords). The databases are made with askSam (see
                http://www.asksam.com) and exported to a TXT file (the index function
                in askSam only produces words completely in capital LETTERS). These
                keywords mainly are represented by nouns which, in German, start with
                an uppercase letter ("the car/der Wagen"). However, about 50% of
                these "capitalized" words actually are no nouns since they are
                capitalized only because they are the first word in a sentence (for
                example conjunctions like "And/and", adverbs like "Very/very" etc.).
                So it won't be sufficient to sort and copy these capitalized words
                only. I created lists of conjunctions and adverbs, stored in an
                array, to be removed from that list of capitalized words.
                Furthermore, there is a lot of stuff to be deleted too. So the
                intention is to do the whole job in one go with NoteTab...

                Regards,
                Franz
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                  franz_sternbald wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > @Don
                  >
                  > Thanks a lot - this was a great help to me! I've done some tests so
                  > far, and it has led to perfect results. The second solution (without
                  > DumpNumbers etc) reduced a file of 68,000 words to 3,590 words within
                  > 8 minutes. All capitalized, and there's only very little stuff left
                  > that could be easily removed manually or with a few more Replace-
                  > lines (for example single letters A, B, C etc., some special
                  > characters like ¡¢£¤¥§©«)
                  >
                  > The first clip seemed to work rather long on my PC. I stopped the
                  > procedure after almost 2 hours. By then, it had reduced the same file
                  > to 7.890 words. Then I took a file of 2,000 lines only and compared
                  > the output of both clips with another tool. There was no big
                  > difference (the second one saved a few more umlauts). So I think the
                  > second clip is the better solution.

                  Only the second clip will save Umlauts, so it is the only one that will
                  work. The first one should have been much faster if Umlauts weren't
                  required. I think I could improve it significantly by tuning the
                  bracketed searches (ie 10 or 100 line jumps should actually be
                  proportionate to the size of the file).

                  Anyway, as umlauts are to be saved, I have modified version 2 and made a
                  new version three with the following changes/enhancements:

                  1. it adds the additional characters you highlighted
                  2. it removes all single characters like A, Ä and ß for example if they
                  are all by themselves

                  Let me know:

                  ; by don at htmlfixit.com
                  ; using a bunch of Hugo's ideas
[...]

                  ; following is to dump all numer or lower cased
                  ; first character lines
                  :DumpBad
                  ^!If ^$GetRow$ = ^$GetLinecount$ Sort2
                  ^!Select +1
                  ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ NEXT ELSE SKIP_2
                  ^!Keyboard DELETE
                  ^!GoTo DumpBad

                  ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP
                  ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP_4
                  ^!Select Eol
                  ^!Keyboard DELETE
                  ^!Keyboard DELETE
                  ^!GoTo DumpBad

                  :GoNext
                  ^!Jump +1
                  ^!GoTo DumpBad

                  ; following is to eliminate single characters on one line
                  :Sort2
                  ^!Jump 1

                  :Sort2a
                  ^!Select Eol
                  ^!IfError END
                  ^!If ^$StrSize("^$GetSelection$")$ > 1 SKIP_2
                  ^!Keyboard DELETE
                  ^!Keyboard DELETE
                  ^!Jump +1
                  ^!GoTo Sort2a
                • dpasseng
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 17, 2008
                    Updated link:

                    http://htmlfixit.com/blog/index.php?cat=14

                    Hugo, I hope you will still add things from time to time.

                    This answers one of my own questions of today! Funny I forgot all
                    about it.