Re: [Clip] Extracting words from a file

  • franz_sternbald
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hi all,

      Thanks again for all your help! I tested all your proposals. My
      conclusion is: I'm on the wrong track when trying to extract the
      capitalized words from a file > 500 KB. Evidently, it's the ^!Find (+
      RegEx) Command, in which combination ever, that ends up in an "Out of
      memory" message or forces me to terminate that procedure after 45
      minutes or more. Even when performing SEARCH | COUNT OCCURRENCES with
      an RegEx like [A-][A-Za-z/-]+ it ends up "out of memory" (at least on
      my PC).

      I think my only chance to execute that task with NoteTab (I'm using
      the Pro version) is to reduce the file step by step until there's
      (almost) nothing left but the words I'm searching (remember Josh's
      recommendation: "I'd say don't look for Capped words, just delete
      everything else and copy the result.")

      However, I'll try to reduce the file with a couple of command lines,
      and then apply the clips presented by hsavage. Another work-around
      could be what Alec said: "splitting the file in three or more
      chunks..."

      Regards,
      Franz
    • abairheart
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "franz_sternbald"
        <franz_sternbald@y...> wrote:
        > (The use of all this is to produce an
        > index or thesaurus of keywords in a text database.)

        Hi Franz,

        I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
        correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of words ,
        and sort them case sensitive?

        1. Replace all spaces in the document with "^P" to change the list to
        individual words (ignore puntuation, if you like.

        2. Sort the list CASE SENSITIVE

        3. Delete the lower case words

        500 K files should contain about 80,000 words or so. Shouldn't take
        more than a few minutes to do this by hand. If you have a lot of
        files you can always write down the keystrokes you use, then do the
        sort by Menu commands (^!Menu Modify/...). I think there's a
        configuration switch to change sorting behaviour (remove duplicates
        or not; case sensitive or not).

        Abair
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
          > Hi Franz,
          >
          > I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
          > correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of words ,
          > and sort them case sensitive?
          >
          > 1. Replace all spaces in the document with "^P" to change the list to
          > individual words (ignore puntuation, if you like.
          >
          > 2. Sort the list CASE SENSITIVE
          >
          > 3. Delete the lower case words
          >

          > 500 K files should contain about 80,000 words or so. Shouldn't take
          > more than a few minutes to do this by hand. If you have a lot of
          > files you can always write down the keystrokes you use, then do the
          > sort by Menu commands (^!Menu Modify/...). I think there's a
          > configuration switch to change sorting behaviour (remove duplicates
          > or not; case sensitive or not).
          >

          > Abair

          Bingo Abair, with one exception that pertains to German, but not to
          English! It works and doesn't use regex. I tried it on the 500 lines
          sent by Franz and on my 181,000 word file I have been trying with all
          others (always an out of memory error until now). I used a clip to do
          it as shown below. There is one problem however ... the German
          characters with two dots over them (is that an umlaut?) are treated as
          coming after the equivalent lower case letter .... so how do we deal
          with that? Currently as written it deletes them as lower case. Maybe I
          have to go one line at a time to delete? Does a German version of
          NoteTab sort these correctly? Is it a bug in the sorting engine? Is it
          just good old ASCII ordering? Are only certain letters umlauted, or
          whatever the double dots are called, in German?

          ; by don at htmlfixit.com
          ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
          ^!Toolbar Paste New
          ^!Replace "^P" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace ")" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "(" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace """ >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "^T" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "," >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "[" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "]" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "<" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace ">" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "~" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "!" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "@" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "#" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "$" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "%" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "^" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "&" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "*" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "_" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "+" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "=" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "|" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "{" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "}" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "\" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "/" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "?" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "." >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace ";" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace ":" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "•" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "– " >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "´" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "”" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "“" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "‘" >> " " ATIWS
          ^!Replace "`" >> " " ATIWS

          ^!Menu Modify/Spaces/Single Space
          ^!Replace " " >> "^P" ATIWS
          ^!Replace "^P’" >> "^P" ATIWS
          ^!Replace "^P-" >> "^P" ATIWS
          ^!Replace "^P " >> "^P" ATIWS
          ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
          ^!SetClipboard ^$StrSort("^$GetClipboard$";1;1;1)$
          ^!Select All
          ^!Toolbar Paste

          ^!Set %LineN%=0
          :DumpNumbers
          ;^!SetDebug 1
          ^!Inc %LineN% 10
          ^!Jump ^%LineN%
          ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ DumpNumbers
          ^!Select +1
          ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" DumpNumbers ELSE NotNumber
          :NotNumber
          ^!Jump -1
          ^!Select +1
          ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "0" NotNumber ELSE DeleteNumbers

          :DeleteNumbers
          ^!Jump +1
          ^!SelectTo 1:1
          ^!Continue is proper highlighted

          ^!Keyboard DELETE

          ^!Set %LineN%=^$GetLineCount$
          :DumpLowers
          ^!Inc %LineN% -100
          ^!Jump ^%LineN%
          ^!Select +1
          ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "0" DumpLowers ELSE NotLower
          :NotLower
          ^!Jump +1
          ^!Select +1
          ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" NotLower ELSE DeleteLowers

          :DeleteLowers
          ^!Jump Select_Start
          ^!Set %cursor_row%=^$GetRow$
          ^!Set %cursor_col%=^$GetCol$
          ^!Jump Doc_End
          ^!SelectTo ^%cursor_row%:^%cursor_col%
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
            Even better, saves the German Characters

            ; by don at htmlfixit.com
            ; runs a text file and makes
            ; a list of all words that start
            ; with a capital letter
[...]

            ^!Jump 1

            :DumpBad
            ^!Select +1
            ^!IfError END
            ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ NEXT ELSE SKIP_2
            ^!Keyboard DELETE
            ^!GoTo DumpBad

            ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP
            ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP_4
            ^!Select Eol
            ^!Keyboard DELETE
            ^!Keyboard DELETE
            ^!GoTo DumpBad

            :GoNext
            ^!Jump +1
            ^!GoTo DumpBad
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
              ; by don at htmlfixit.com
              ; any-non lowercase non-alphabetic
              ; character tests positive as Uppercase
              ^!SetArray
              %Original%="0";"1";"|";"?";"a";"@";"1";"+";"=";"F";"`";"~";"-";"q";"L";"[";"}";"
              ";"x"
              ^!Set %count%=0
              :Loop
              ^!Inc %count%
              ^!If "^%count%" > "^%Original0%" End

              ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^%Original^%count%%")$" = "1" UPPER ELSE NOTUPPER

              :UPPER
              ^!Info "^%Original^%count%%" is POSITIVE when tested as upper case --
              even if it isn't a letter
              ^!GoTo Loop

              :NOTUPPER
              ^!Info "^%Original^%count%%" is negative when tested as upper case
              ^!GoTo Loop

              Most interesting! IsUppercase is really NotLowercase! You would think
              that IsUppercase would first verify that the character is alphabetic,
              but it doesn't. IsLowercase works the same too, so it is really
              NotUppercase. Because of this you first need to check I guess to be
              sure it is alphabetic.

              These results are consistent I guess with what help says:
              ^$IsUppercase("Str")$ (added in v4.8)
              Returns 1 if Str does not contain any lowercase characters, and 0 if it
              does.

              I would think it SHOULD be does not contain any lowercase or
              non-alphabetic characters. But I guess you could have a contraction or
              hyphenated, etc. So maybe that isn't correct. In any event, just be
              aware and code accordingly.
            • Hugo Paulissen
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004

                > I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
                > correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of
                words ,
                > and sort them case sensitive?
                >
                > 1. Replace all spaces in the document with "^P" to change the list
                > individual words (ignore puntuation, if you like.
                >
                > 2. Sort the list CASE SENSITIVE
                >
                > 3. Delete the lower case words
                >

                > 500 K files should contain about 80,000 words or so. Shouldn't take
                > more than a few minutes to do this by hand. If you have a lot of
                > files you can always write down the keystrokes you use, then do the
                > sort by Menu commands (^!Menu Modify/...). I think there's a
                > configuration switch to change sorting behaviour (remove duplicates
                > or not; case sensitive or not).
                >

                > Abair

                We're going around in circles...

                Isn't this what I proposed a few messages earlier?

                > What about this approach? You can easily see for yourself if this
                is
                > of any help.
                >
                > 1. replace " " with "^P" - don't know how fast that would be
                > 2. trim/left align the text (which should have most words on a
                > separate line by now)
                > 3. sort the document with [Case Sensitive Sorting] and [Remove
                > Duplicates] switched on (in options)
                >
                > Hugo

              • Hugo Paulissen
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                  Don,

                  You wrote the kind of clip I had in mind and for which I didn't have the
                  time. It was clear that NoteTab's regex was in the way... ;-). If I had the
                  need for this clip I would definitely test it!

                  Hugo

                • Don - htmlfixit.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                    Hugo Paulissen wrote:
                    > Don,
                    >
                    > You wrote the kind of clip I had in mind and for which I didn't have the
                    > time. It was clear that NoteTab's regex was in the way... ;-). If I had the
                    > need for this clip I would definitely test it!
                    >
                    > Hugo

                    I used the ideas of three of you (plus as usual something out of
                    noteblock). So it is a combination of three comments including yours,
                    the one on deleting what was unneeded -- come to think of it putting the
                    results in another file is four -- and the sorting alphbetically
                    comment. I think if one really wanted to do it with a regex, perl would
                    be a good choice, but for many that defeats the purpose because, even
                    though perl is easy to run on a pc from notetab, it is another whole thing.

                    I left screenupdate on so that you can kind of see it materialize and
                    know it is working.
                    I added a few special things that applied mainly to my test file, but
                    won't hurt on another file (like deleting a leading hyphen).

                    The most interesting thing I learned in the process is that IsUppercase
                    means NOT Lowercase.
                    Of course IsLowercase means NOT Uppercase as well. I first tested for
                    it to be a number.
                    Either will test positive for a non-alphabetic (white space,
                    punctuation, numbers -- all test postitive under either of those).

                    I had also forgotten the SKIP_# feature which I noticed when ripping
                    something off in the NoteBlock Library. That came in handy. I knew
                    SKIP but forgot you could skip multiple lines.

                    I usually put something at the top of my clips in a comment to describe
                    where they came from ... even though of course they usually come from a
                    combination of you all. It is NOT to claim some level of ownership or
                    anything because it is most often plagerized in essence to some degree
                    or other, but rather to help if we have to later dissect it or make
                    modifications.

                    I have decided to start "keeping" some of the clips I work on here:
                    http://htmlfixit.com/don_and_franki_news_blog_on_htmlfixit_dot_com/index.php?cat=14

                    I figure that will help me find them in the future when I want to copy
                    something from one of them for future use.
                  • franz_sternbald
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                      Hi all,

                      @Don

                      Thanks a lot - this was a great help to me! I've done some tests so
                      far, and it has led to perfect results. The second solution (without
                      DumpNumbers etc) reduced a file of 68,000 words to 3,590 words within
                      8 minutes. All capitalized, and there's only very little stuff left
                      that could be easily removed manually or with a few more Replace-
                      lines (for example single letters A, B, C etc., some special
                      characters like ¡¢£¤¥§©«)

                      The first clip seemed to work rather long on my PC. I stopped the
                      procedure after almost 2 hours. By then, it had reduced the same file
                      to 7.890 words. Then I took a file of 2,000 lines only and compared
                      the output of both clips with another tool. There was no big
                      difference (the second one saved a few more umlauts). So I think the
                      second clip is the better solution.

                      With both clips, I didn't run into "Out of memory". The only message
                      I got was "Some paragraphs were too long and had to be split." I
                      think that won't affect the result.

                      The second clip finds German umlauts (ÄÖÜäöü) as well and
                      distinguishes properly between uppercase and lowercase umlauts. They
                      are ASCII-sorted, but that's something we have to live with.

                      Your Lowercase/Uppercase Test Clip shows that numbers and special
                      characters like @?+=[ etc. are interpreted as lowercase characters
                      although they are not alphabetic.

                      I'll let you know in case I still get into any trouble...

                      @Abair & Hugo

                      > I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
                      > correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of words,
                      > and sort them case sensitive?

                      The intention is to create an index of a text database, that is a
                      list of keywords (headwords). The databases are made with askSam (see
                      http://www.asksam.com) and exported to a TXT file (the index function
                      in askSam only produces words completely in capital LETTERS). These
                      keywords mainly are represented by nouns which, in German, start with
                      an uppercase letter ("the car/der Wagen"). However, about 50% of
                      these "capitalized" words actually are no nouns since they are
                      capitalized only because they are the first word in a sentence (for
                      example conjunctions like "And/and", adverbs like "Very/very" etc.).
                      So it won't be sufficient to sort and copy these capitalized words
                      only. I created lists of conjunctions and adverbs, stored in an
                      array, to be removed from that list of capitalized words.
                      Furthermore, there is a lot of stuff to be deleted too. So the
                      intention is to do the whole job in one go with NoteTab...

                      Regards,
                      Franz
                    • Don - htmlfixit.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                        franz_sternbald wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > @Don
                        >
                        > Thanks a lot - this was a great help to me! I've done some tests so
                        > far, and it has led to perfect results. The second solution (without
                        > DumpNumbers etc) reduced a file of 68,000 words to 3,590 words within
                        > 8 minutes. All capitalized, and there's only very little stuff left
                        > that could be easily removed manually or with a few more Replace-
                        > lines (for example single letters A, B, C etc., some special
                        > characters like ¡¢£¤¥§©«)
                        >
                        > The first clip seemed to work rather long on my PC. I stopped the
                        > procedure after almost 2 hours. By then, it had reduced the same file
                        > to 7.890 words. Then I took a file of 2,000 lines only and compared
                        > the output of both clips with another tool. There was no big
                        > difference (the second one saved a few more umlauts). So I think the
                        > second clip is the better solution.

                        Only the second clip will save Umlauts, so it is the only one that will
                        work. The first one should have been much faster if Umlauts weren't
                        required. I think I could improve it significantly by tuning the
                        bracketed searches (ie 10 or 100 line jumps should actually be
                        proportionate to the size of the file).

                        Anyway, as umlauts are to be saved, I have modified version 2 and made a
                        new version three with the following changes/enhancements:

                        1. it adds the additional characters you highlighted
                        2. it removes all single characters like A, Ä and ß for example if they
                        are all by themselves

                        Let me know:

                        ; by don at htmlfixit.com
                        ; using a bunch of Hugo's ideas
[...]

                        ; following is to dump all numer or lower cased
                        ; first character lines
                        :DumpBad
                        ^!If ^$GetRow$ = ^$GetLinecount$ Sort2
                        ^!Select +1
                        ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ NEXT ELSE SKIP_2
                        ^!Keyboard DELETE
                        ^!GoTo DumpBad

                        ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP
                        ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP_4
                        ^!Select Eol
                        ^!Keyboard DELETE
                        ^!Keyboard DELETE
                        ^!GoTo DumpBad

                        :GoNext
                        ^!Jump +1
                        ^!GoTo DumpBad

                        ; following is to eliminate single characters on one line
                        :Sort2
                        ^!Jump 1

                        :Sort2a
                        ^!Select Eol
                        ^!IfError END
                        ^!If ^$StrSize("^$GetSelection$")$ > 1 SKIP_2
                        ^!Keyboard DELETE
                        ^!Keyboard DELETE
                        ^!Jump +1
                        ^!GoTo Sort2a
                      • dpasseng
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 17, 2008
                          Updated link:

                          http://htmlfixit.com/blog/index.php?cat=14

                          Hugo, I hope you will still add things from time to time.

                          This answers one of my own questions of today! Funny I forgot all
                          about it.