Re: [Clip] Extracting words from a file

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
      franz_sternbald wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm trying to create a clip that extracts all capitalized words from
      > a file and stores them in a new file.
      >
      > As a basis for that, I took the result of TOOLS | TEXT STATISTICS.
      > Unfortunately, the Text Statistic provides a sorted output that
      > ignores case and removes duplicates, regardless of the options we
      > choose in VIEW | OPTIONS | TOOLS. Consequently, it deletes the
      > capitalized version of all homonyms. For example: If the
      > words "Report" and "report" were found in a file, the Text Statistics
      > outputs "report" only. Thus many capitalized words get lost.
      >
      > So far, I didn't manage to substitute the Text Statistics with a clip
      > that provides a complete list of all capitalized words
      > in a normal text file (no list). First, I tried it this way...
      >
      > :Loop
      > ^!Find "[A-Z][A-Za-z\-]+" CRS
      > ^!IfError Output
      > ^!Set %Word%=^$GetSelection$
      > ^!Append %Copy%=^%Word%^%NL%
      > ^!Keyboard Right
      > ^!GoTo Loop
      >
      > :Output
      > ^!Toolbar New Document
      > ^!InsertCode ^%Copy%
      >
      > In principle, this is doing the job. But processing a file of 500 KB
      > is lasting "hours" and ends up in an "Out of memory" message.
      >
      > Do you know any better solution?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Franz

      Franz,

      I don't know if you've decided on anything yet but, here are 2 clips,
      very similar, one uses appending words to a variable, the other uses
      ^!AppendToFile.

      The clips are set to give an audible signal on start and completion.
      Also, they will enter the start time and finish time in minutes and
      seconds so you can compare relative speed of clip.

      I prefer the ^!AppendToFile method, it seems to have an overall small
      time benefit.

      I'll include the clips below, in both forms, also, a record of the
      filesize and number of Cap words found in XX time. The time counters
      usually sort toward the top of list and they are normally adjacent.

      If you try these, and want to keep one, the extras, sound, start/finish
      time etc. can be removed.

      H="Count Caps"
      ^!Jump 1
      ^!SetDebug 0
      ^!SetWordWrap 0
      ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
      ^!Sound ^$GetLibraryPath$cawcaw.wav
      ^!TextToFile "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords" ^$GetDate(< nn < ss)$^%nl%
      :GETCAP
      ^!Find [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]+ CRS
      ^!IfError END
      ^!AppendToFile "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords" ^$GetWord$^%nl%
      ^!Goto GETCAP
      :END
      ^!AppendToFile "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords" ^$GetDate(> nn > ss)$
      ^!Sound ^$GetLibraryPath$cawcaw.wav
      ^!Open "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords"
      ^!Select ALL
      ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+X
      ^!Menu View/Line Numbers

      H="Count Caps1"
      ^!Jump 1
      ^!SetDebug 0
      ^!SetWordWrap 0
      ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
      ^!Sound ^$GetLibraryPath$cawcaw.wav
      ^!Set %words%=^$GetDate(< nn < ss)$^%nl%
      :GETCAP
      ^!Find [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]+ CRS
      ^!IfError END
      ^!Set %word%=^$GetWord$
      ^!Append %words%=^%word%^%nl%
      ^!Goto GETCAP
      :END
      ^!Append %words%=^$GetDate(> nn > ss)$
      ^!TextToFile "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords" ^%words%
      ^!Sound ^$GetLibraryPath$cawcaw.wav
      ^!Open "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords"
      ^!Select ALL
      ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+X
      ^!Menu View/Line Numbers

      Cap words found 2,273
      both methods

      filesize 399,697

      method used
      appending word to variable
      < 06 < 44
      nn ss
      > 20 > 27

      same method
      < 51 < 30
      nn ss
      > 56 > 27

      method used
      AppendToFile word
      < 49 < 44
      nn ss
      > 53 > 14

      same method
      < 03 < 51
      nn ss
      > 11 > 42

      ºvº
      hrs <04-12-02> hsavage@...
    • franz_sternbald
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
        Hi all,

        Thanks again for all your help! I tested all your proposals. My
        conclusion is: I'm on the wrong track when trying to extract the
        capitalized words from a file > 500 KB. Evidently, it's the ^!Find (+
        RegEx) Command, in which combination ever, that ends up in an "Out of
        memory" message or forces me to terminate that procedure after 45
        minutes or more. Even when performing SEARCH | COUNT OCCURRENCES with
        an RegEx like [A-][A-Za-z/-]+ it ends up "out of memory" (at least on
        my PC).

        I think my only chance to execute that task with NoteTab (I'm using
        the Pro version) is to reduce the file step by step until there's
        (almost) nothing left but the words I'm searching (remember Josh's
        recommendation: "I'd say don't look for Capped words, just delete
        everything else and copy the result.")

        However, I'll try to reduce the file with a couple of command lines,
        and then apply the clips presented by hsavage. Another work-around
        could be what Alec said: "splitting the file in three or more
        chunks..."

        Regards,
        Franz
      • abairheart
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "franz_sternbald"
          <franz_sternbald@y...> wrote:
          > (The use of all this is to produce an
          > index or thesaurus of keywords in a text database.)

          Hi Franz,

          I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
          correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of words ,
          and sort them case sensitive?

          1. Replace all spaces in the document with "^P" to change the list to
          individual words (ignore puntuation, if you like.

          2. Sort the list CASE SENSITIVE

          3. Delete the lower case words

          500 K files should contain about 80,000 words or so. Shouldn't take
          more than a few minutes to do this by hand. If you have a lot of
          files you can always write down the keystrokes you use, then do the
          sort by Menu commands (^!Menu Modify/...). I think there's a
          configuration switch to change sorting behaviour (remove duplicates
          or not; case sensitive or not).

          Abair
        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
            > Hi Franz,
            >
            > I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
            > correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of words ,
            > and sort them case sensitive?
            >
            > 1. Replace all spaces in the document with "^P" to change the list to
            > individual words (ignore puntuation, if you like.
            >
            > 2. Sort the list CASE SENSITIVE
            >
            > 3. Delete the lower case words
            >

            > 500 K files should contain about 80,000 words or so. Shouldn't take
            > more than a few minutes to do this by hand. If you have a lot of
            > files you can always write down the keystrokes you use, then do the
            > sort by Menu commands (^!Menu Modify/...). I think there's a
            > configuration switch to change sorting behaviour (remove duplicates
            > or not; case sensitive or not).
            >

            > Abair

            Bingo Abair, with one exception that pertains to German, but not to
            English! It works and doesn't use regex. I tried it on the 500 lines
            sent by Franz and on my 181,000 word file I have been trying with all
            others (always an out of memory error until now). I used a clip to do
            it as shown below. There is one problem however ... the German
            characters with two dots over them (is that an umlaut?) are treated as
            coming after the equivalent lower case letter .... so how do we deal
            with that? Currently as written it deletes them as lower case. Maybe I
            have to go one line at a time to delete? Does a German version of
            NoteTab sort these correctly? Is it a bug in the sorting engine? Is it
            just good old ASCII ordering? Are only certain letters umlauted, or
            whatever the double dots are called, in German?

            ; by don at htmlfixit.com
            ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
            ^!Toolbar Paste New
            ^!Replace "^P" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace ")" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "(" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace """ >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "^T" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "," >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "[" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "]" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "<" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace ">" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "~" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "!" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "@" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "#" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "$" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "%" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "^" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "&" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "*" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "_" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "+" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "=" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "|" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "{" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "}" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "\" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "/" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "?" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "." >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace ";" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace ":" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "•" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "– " >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "´" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "”" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "“" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "‘" >> " " ATIWS
            ^!Replace "`" >> " " ATIWS

            ^!Menu Modify/Spaces/Single Space
            ^!Replace " " >> "^P" ATIWS
            ^!Replace "^P’" >> "^P" ATIWS
            ^!Replace "^P-" >> "^P" ATIWS
            ^!Replace "^P " >> "^P" ATIWS
            ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
            ^!SetClipboard ^$StrSort("^$GetClipboard$";1;1;1)$
            ^!Select All
            ^!Toolbar Paste

            ^!Set %LineN%=0
            :DumpNumbers
            ;^!SetDebug 1
            ^!Inc %LineN% 10
            ^!Jump ^%LineN%
            ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ DumpNumbers
            ^!Select +1
            ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" DumpNumbers ELSE NotNumber
            :NotNumber
            ^!Jump -1
            ^!Select +1
            ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "0" NotNumber ELSE DeleteNumbers

            :DeleteNumbers
            ^!Jump +1
            ^!SelectTo 1:1
            ^!Continue is proper highlighted

            ^!Keyboard DELETE

            ^!Set %LineN%=^$GetLineCount$
            :DumpLowers
            ^!Inc %LineN% -100
            ^!Jump ^%LineN%
            ^!Select +1
            ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "0" DumpLowers ELSE NotLower
            :NotLower
            ^!Jump +1
            ^!Select +1
            ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" NotLower ELSE DeleteLowers

            :DeleteLowers
            ^!Jump Select_Start
            ^!Set %cursor_row%=^$GetRow$
            ^!Set %cursor_col%=^$GetCol$
            ^!Jump Doc_End
            ^!SelectTo ^%cursor_row%:^%cursor_col%
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
              Even better, saves the German Characters

              ; by don at htmlfixit.com
              ; runs a text file and makes
              ; a list of all words that start
              ; with a capital letter
[...]

              :DumpBad
              ^!Select +1
              ^!IfError END
              ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ NEXT ELSE SKIP_2
              ^!Keyboard DELETE
              ^!GoTo DumpBad

              ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP
              ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP_4
              ^!Select Eol
              ^!Keyboard DELETE
              ^!Keyboard DELETE
              ^!GoTo DumpBad

              :GoNext
              ^!Jump +1
              ^!GoTo DumpBad
            • Don - htmlfixit.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
                ; by don at htmlfixit.com
                ; any-non lowercase non-alphabetic
                ; character tests positive as Uppercase
                ^!SetArray
                %Original%="0";"1";"|";"?";"a";"@";"1";"+";"=";"F";"`";"~";"-";"q";"L";"[";"}";"
                ";"x"
                ^!Set %count%=0
                :Loop
                ^!Inc %count%
                ^!If "^%count%" > "^%Original0%" End

                ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^%Original^%count%%")$" = "1" UPPER ELSE NOTUPPER

                :UPPER
                ^!Info "^%Original^%count%%" is POSITIVE when tested as upper case --
                even if it isn't a letter
                ^!GoTo Loop

                :NOTUPPER
                ^!Info "^%Original^%count%%" is negative when tested as upper case
                ^!GoTo Loop

                Most interesting! IsUppercase is really NotLowercase! You would think
                that IsUppercase would first verify that the character is alphabetic,
                but it doesn't. IsLowercase works the same too, so it is really
                NotUppercase. Because of this you first need to check I guess to be
                sure it is alphabetic.

                These results are consistent I guess with what help says:
                ^$IsUppercase("Str")$ (added in v4.8)
                Returns 1 if Str does not contain any lowercase characters, and 0 if it
                does.

                I would think it SHOULD be does not contain any lowercase or
                non-alphabetic characters. But I guess you could have a contraction or
                hyphenated, etc. So maybe that isn't correct. In any event, just be
                aware and code accordingly.
              • Hugo Paulissen
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004

                  > I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
                  > correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of
                  words ,
                  > and sort them case sensitive?
                  >
                  > 1. Replace all spaces in the document with "^P" to change the list
                  > individual words (ignore puntuation, if you like.
                  >
                  > 2. Sort the list CASE SENSITIVE
                  >
                  > 3. Delete the lower case words
                  >

                  > 500 K files should contain about 80,000 words or so. Shouldn't take
                  > more than a few minutes to do this by hand. If you have a lot of
                  > files you can always write down the keystrokes you use, then do the
                  > sort by Menu commands (^!Menu Modify/...). I think there's a
                  > configuration switch to change sorting behaviour (remove duplicates
                  > or not; case sensitive or not).
                  >

                  > Abair

                  We're going around in circles...

                  Isn't this what I proposed a few messages earlier?

                  > What about this approach? You can easily see for yourself if this
                  is
                  > of any help.
                  >
                  > 1. replace " " with "^P" - don't know how fast that would be
                  > 2. trim/left align the text (which should have most words on a
                  > separate line by now)
                  > 3. sort the document with [Case Sensitive Sorting] and [Remove
                  > Duplicates] switched on (in options)
                  >
                  > Hugo

                • Hugo Paulissen
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                    Don,

                    You wrote the kind of clip I had in mind and for which I didn't have the
                    time. It was clear that NoteTab's regex was in the way... ;-). If I had the
                    need for this clip I would definitely test it!

                    Hugo

                  • Don - htmlfixit.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                      Hugo Paulissen wrote:
                      > Don,
                      >
                      > You wrote the kind of clip I had in mind and for which I didn't have the
                      > time. It was clear that NoteTab's regex was in the way... ;-). If I had the
                      > need for this clip I would definitely test it!
                      >
                      > Hugo

                      I used the ideas of three of you (plus as usual something out of
                      noteblock). So it is a combination of three comments including yours,
                      the one on deleting what was unneeded -- come to think of it putting the
                      results in another file is four -- and the sorting alphbetically
                      comment. I think if one really wanted to do it with a regex, perl would
                      be a good choice, but for many that defeats the purpose because, even
                      though perl is easy to run on a pc from notetab, it is another whole thing.

                      I left screenupdate on so that you can kind of see it materialize and
                      know it is working.
                      I added a few special things that applied mainly to my test file, but
                      won't hurt on another file (like deleting a leading hyphen).

                      The most interesting thing I learned in the process is that IsUppercase
                      means NOT Lowercase.
                      Of course IsLowercase means NOT Uppercase as well. I first tested for
                      it to be a number.
                      Either will test positive for a non-alphabetic (white space,
                      punctuation, numbers -- all test postitive under either of those).

                      I had also forgotten the SKIP_# feature which I noticed when ripping
                      something off in the NoteBlock Library. That came in handy. I knew
                      SKIP but forgot you could skip multiple lines.

                      I usually put something at the top of my clips in a comment to describe
                      where they came from ... even though of course they usually come from a
                      combination of you all. It is NOT to claim some level of ownership or
                      anything because it is most often plagerized in essence to some degree
                      or other, but rather to help if we have to later dissect it or make
                      modifications.

                      I have decided to start "keeping" some of the clips I work on here:
                      http://htmlfixit.com/don_and_franki_news_blog_on_htmlfixit_dot_com/index.php?cat=14

                      I figure that will help me find them in the future when I want to copy
                      something from one of them for future use.
                    • franz_sternbald
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                        Hi all,

                        @Don

                        Thanks a lot - this was a great help to me! I've done some tests so
                        far, and it has led to perfect results. The second solution (without
                        DumpNumbers etc) reduced a file of 68,000 words to 3,590 words within
                        8 minutes. All capitalized, and there's only very little stuff left
                        that could be easily removed manually or with a few more Replace-
                        lines (for example single letters A, B, C etc., some special
                        characters like ¡¢£¤¥§©«)

                        The first clip seemed to work rather long on my PC. I stopped the
                        procedure after almost 2 hours. By then, it had reduced the same file
                        to 7.890 words. Then I took a file of 2,000 lines only and compared
                        the output of both clips with another tool. There was no big
                        difference (the second one saved a few more umlauts). So I think the
                        second clip is the better solution.

                        With both clips, I didn't run into "Out of memory". The only message
                        I got was "Some paragraphs were too long and had to be split." I
                        think that won't affect the result.

                        The second clip finds German umlauts (ÄÖÜäöü) as well and
                        distinguishes properly between uppercase and lowercase umlauts. They
                        are ASCII-sorted, but that's something we have to live with.

                        Your Lowercase/Uppercase Test Clip shows that numbers and special
                        characters like @?+=[ etc. are interpreted as lowercase characters
                        although they are not alphabetic.

                        I'll let you know in case I still get into any trouble...

                        @Abair & Hugo

                        > I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
                        > correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of words,
                        > and sort them case sensitive?

                        The intention is to create an index of a text database, that is a
                        list of keywords (headwords). The databases are made with askSam (see
                        http://www.asksam.com) and exported to a TXT file (the index function
                        in askSam only produces words completely in capital LETTERS). These
                        keywords mainly are represented by nouns which, in German, start with
                        an uppercase letter ("the car/der Wagen"). However, about 50% of
                        these "capitalized" words actually are no nouns since they are
                        capitalized only because they are the first word in a sentence (for
                        example conjunctions like "And/and", adverbs like "Very/very" etc.).
                        So it won't be sufficient to sort and copy these capitalized words
                        only. I created lists of conjunctions and adverbs, stored in an
                        array, to be removed from that list of capitalized words.
                        Furthermore, there is a lot of stuff to be deleted too. So the
                        intention is to do the whole job in one go with NoteTab...

                        Regards,
                        Franz
                      • Don - htmlfixit.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                          franz_sternbald wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > @Don
                          >
                          > Thanks a lot - this was a great help to me! I've done some tests so
                          > far, and it has led to perfect results. The second solution (without
                          > DumpNumbers etc) reduced a file of 68,000 words to 3,590 words within
                          > 8 minutes. All capitalized, and there's only very little stuff left
                          > that could be easily removed manually or with a few more Replace-
                          > lines (for example single letters A, B, C etc., some special
                          > characters like ¡¢£¤¥§©«)
                          >
                          > The first clip seemed to work rather long on my PC. I stopped the
                          > procedure after almost 2 hours. By then, it had reduced the same file
                          > to 7.890 words. Then I took a file of 2,000 lines only and compared
                          > the output of both clips with another tool. There was no big
                          > difference (the second one saved a few more umlauts). So I think the
                          > second clip is the better solution.

                          Only the second clip will save Umlauts, so it is the only one that will
                          work. The first one should have been much faster if Umlauts weren't
                          required. I think I could improve it significantly by tuning the
                          bracketed searches (ie 10 or 100 line jumps should actually be
                          proportionate to the size of the file).

                          Anyway, as umlauts are to be saved, I have modified version 2 and made a
                          new version three with the following changes/enhancements:

                          1. it adds the additional characters you highlighted
                          2. it removes all single characters like A, Ä and ß for example if they
                          are all by themselves

                          Let me know:

                          ; by don at htmlfixit.com
                          ; using a bunch of Hugo's ideas
[...]

                          ; following is to dump all numer or lower cased
                          ; first character lines
                          :DumpBad
                          ^!If ^$GetRow$ = ^$GetLinecount$ Sort2
                          ^!Select +1
                          ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ NEXT ELSE SKIP_2
                          ^!Keyboard DELETE
                          ^!GoTo DumpBad

                          ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP
                          ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP_4
                          ^!Select Eol
                          ^!Keyboard DELETE
                          ^!Keyboard DELETE
                          ^!GoTo DumpBad

                          :GoNext
                          ^!Jump +1
                          ^!GoTo DumpBad

                          ; following is to eliminate single characters on one line
                          :Sort2
                          ^!Jump 1

                          :Sort2a
                          ^!Select Eol
                          ^!IfError END
                          ^!If ^$StrSize("^$GetSelection$")$ > 1 SKIP_2
                          ^!Keyboard DELETE
                          ^!Keyboard DELETE
                          ^!Jump +1
                          ^!GoTo Sort2a
                        • dpasseng
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 17, 2008
                            Updated link:

                            http://htmlfixit.com/blog/index.php?cat=14

                            Hugo, I hope you will still add things from time to time.

                            This answers one of my own questions of today! Funny I forgot all
                            about it.