Re: Re: [Clip] Re: Extracting words from a file

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2004
      Don: > I got ... out of memory error.

      Checking my file with TextStatistics its:
      chars=510116
      Words= 76771

      One time while debugging I got an out-of-memory error but closing and then
      restarting Notetab and closing a couple of large programs that happened to
      be running made it work.

      The real pig is the line:
      ^!replace "^[^A-Za-z0-9]+" >> "" rwsa

      perhaps removing the + sign and wrapping it in a loop so it only removes 1
      non A/N char at a time ... or ... determining the invalid chars and writing
      one NON-regex replace line for each would speed it up
      eg.
      ^!replace "[" >> "" wsa
      ^!replace "(" >> "" wsa
      etc ...

      or even splitting the file in three or more chunks, processing each and then
      combining the results :-)

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
        franz_sternbald wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm trying to create a clip that extracts all capitalized words from
        > a file and stores them in a new file.
        >
        > As a basis for that, I took the result of TOOLS | TEXT STATISTICS.
        > Unfortunately, the Text Statistic provides a sorted output that
        > ignores case and removes duplicates, regardless of the options we
        > choose in VIEW | OPTIONS | TOOLS. Consequently, it deletes the
        > capitalized version of all homonyms. For example: If the
        > words "Report" and "report" were found in a file, the Text Statistics
        > outputs "report" only. Thus many capitalized words get lost.
        >
        > So far, I didn't manage to substitute the Text Statistics with a clip
        > that provides a complete list of all capitalized words
        > in a normal text file (no list). First, I tried it this way...
        >
        > :Loop
        > ^!Find "[A-Z][A-Za-z\-]+" CRS
        > ^!IfError Output
        > ^!Set %Word%=^$GetSelection$
        > ^!Append %Copy%=^%Word%^%NL%
        > ^!Keyboard Right
        > ^!GoTo Loop
        >
        > :Output
        > ^!Toolbar New Document
        > ^!InsertCode ^%Copy%
        >
        > In principle, this is doing the job. But processing a file of 500 KB
        > is lasting "hours" and ends up in an "Out of memory" message.
        >
        > Do you know any better solution?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Franz

        Franz,

        I don't know if you've decided on anything yet but, here are 2 clips,
        very similar, one uses appending words to a variable, the other uses
        ^!AppendToFile.

        The clips are set to give an audible signal on start and completion.
        Also, they will enter the start time and finish time in minutes and
        seconds so you can compare relative speed of clip.

        I prefer the ^!AppendToFile method, it seems to have an overall small
        time benefit.

        I'll include the clips below, in both forms, also, a record of the
        filesize and number of Cap words found in XX time. The time counters
        usually sort toward the top of list and they are normally adjacent.

        If you try these, and want to keep one, the extras, sound, start/finish
        time etc. can be removed.

        H="Count Caps"
        ^!Jump 1
        ^!SetDebug 0
        ^!SetWordWrap 0
        ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
        ^!Sound ^$GetLibraryPath$cawcaw.wav
        ^!TextToFile "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords" ^$GetDate(< nn < ss)$^%nl%
        :GETCAP
        ^!Find [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]+ CRS
        ^!IfError END
        ^!AppendToFile "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords" ^$GetWord$^%nl%
        ^!Goto GETCAP
        :END
        ^!AppendToFile "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords" ^$GetDate(> nn > ss)$
        ^!Sound ^$GetLibraryPath$cawcaw.wav
        ^!Open "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords"
        ^!Select ALL
        ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+X
        ^!Menu View/Line Numbers

        H="Count Caps1"
        ^!Jump 1
        ^!SetDebug 0
        ^!SetWordWrap 0
        ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
        ^!Sound ^$GetLibraryPath$cawcaw.wav
        ^!Set %words%=^$GetDate(< nn < ss)$^%nl%
        :GETCAP
        ^!Find [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]+ CRS
        ^!IfError END
        ^!Set %word%=^$GetWord$
        ^!Append %words%=^%word%^%nl%
        ^!Goto GETCAP
        :END
        ^!Append %words%=^$GetDate(> nn > ss)$
        ^!TextToFile "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords" ^%words%
        ^!Sound ^$GetLibraryPath$cawcaw.wav
        ^!Open "^$GetSpecialPath(Desktop)$CAPwords"
        ^!Select ALL
        ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+X
        ^!Menu View/Line Numbers

        Cap words found 2,273
        both methods

        filesize 399,697

        method used
        appending word to variable
        < 06 < 44
        nn ss
        > 20 > 27

        same method
        < 51 < 30
        nn ss
        > 56 > 27

        method used
        AppendToFile word
        < 49 < 44
        nn ss
        > 53 > 14

        same method
        < 03 < 51
        nn ss
        > 11 > 42

        ºvº
        hrs <04-12-02> hsavage@...
      • franz_sternbald
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
          Hi all,

          Thanks again for all your help! I tested all your proposals. My
          conclusion is: I'm on the wrong track when trying to extract the
          capitalized words from a file > 500 KB. Evidently, it's the ^!Find (+
          RegEx) Command, in which combination ever, that ends up in an "Out of
          memory" message or forces me to terminate that procedure after 45
          minutes or more. Even when performing SEARCH | COUNT OCCURRENCES with
          an RegEx like [A-][A-Za-z/-]+ it ends up "out of memory" (at least on
          my PC).

          I think my only chance to execute that task with NoteTab (I'm using
          the Pro version) is to reduce the file step by step until there's
          (almost) nothing left but the words I'm searching (remember Josh's
          recommendation: "I'd say don't look for Capped words, just delete
          everything else and copy the result.")

          However, I'll try to reduce the file with a couple of command lines,
          and then apply the clips presented by hsavage. Another work-around
          could be what Alec said: "splitting the file in three or more
          chunks..."

          Regards,
          Franz
        • abairheart
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "franz_sternbald"
            <franz_sternbald@y...> wrote:
            > (The use of all this is to produce an
            > index or thesaurus of keywords in a text database.)

            Hi Franz,

            I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
            correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of words ,
            and sort them case sensitive?

            1. Replace all spaces in the document with "^P" to change the list to
            individual words (ignore puntuation, if you like.

            2. Sort the list CASE SENSITIVE

            3. Delete the lower case words

            500 K files should contain about 80,000 words or so. Shouldn't take
            more than a few minutes to do this by hand. If you have a lot of
            files you can always write down the keystrokes you use, then do the
            sort by Menu commands (^!Menu Modify/...). I think there's a
            configuration switch to change sorting behaviour (remove duplicates
            or not; case sensitive or not).

            Abair
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
              > Hi Franz,
              >
              > I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
              > correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of words ,
              > and sort them case sensitive?
              >
              > 1. Replace all spaces in the document with "^P" to change the list to
              > individual words (ignore puntuation, if you like.
              >
              > 2. Sort the list CASE SENSITIVE
              >
              > 3. Delete the lower case words
              >

              > 500 K files should contain about 80,000 words or so. Shouldn't take
              > more than a few minutes to do this by hand. If you have a lot of
              > files you can always write down the keystrokes you use, then do the
              > sort by Menu commands (^!Menu Modify/...). I think there's a
              > configuration switch to change sorting behaviour (remove duplicates
              > or not; case sensitive or not).
              >

              > Abair

              Bingo Abair, with one exception that pertains to German, but not to
              English! It works and doesn't use regex. I tried it on the 500 lines
              sent by Franz and on my 181,000 word file I have been trying with all
              others (always an out of memory error until now). I used a clip to do
              it as shown below. There is one problem however ... the German
              characters with two dots over them (is that an umlaut?) are treated as
              coming after the equivalent lower case letter .... so how do we deal
              with that? Currently as written it deletes them as lower case. Maybe I
              have to go one line at a time to delete? Does a German version of
              NoteTab sort these correctly? Is it a bug in the sorting engine? Is it
              just good old ASCII ordering? Are only certain letters umlauted, or
              whatever the double dots are called, in German?

              ; by don at htmlfixit.com
              ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
              ^!Toolbar Paste New
              ^!Replace "^P" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace ")" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "(" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace """ >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "^T" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "," >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "[" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "]" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "<" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace ">" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "~" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "!" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "@" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "#" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "$" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "%" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "^" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "&" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "*" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "_" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "+" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "=" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "|" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "{" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "}" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "\" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "/" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "?" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "." >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace ";" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace ":" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "•" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "– " >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "´" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "”" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "“" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "‘" >> " " ATIWS
              ^!Replace "`" >> " " ATIWS

              ^!Menu Modify/Spaces/Single Space
              ^!Replace " " >> "^P" ATIWS
              ^!Replace "^P’" >> "^P" ATIWS
              ^!Replace "^P-" >> "^P" ATIWS
              ^!Replace "^P " >> "^P" ATIWS
              ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
              ^!SetClipboard ^$StrSort("^$GetClipboard$";1;1;1)$
              ^!Select All
              ^!Toolbar Paste

              ^!Set %LineN%=0
              :DumpNumbers
              ;^!SetDebug 1
              ^!Inc %LineN% 10
              ^!Jump ^%LineN%
              ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ DumpNumbers
              ^!Select +1
              ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" DumpNumbers ELSE NotNumber
              :NotNumber
              ^!Jump -1
              ^!Select +1
              ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "0" NotNumber ELSE DeleteNumbers

              :DeleteNumbers
              ^!Jump +1
              ^!SelectTo 1:1
              ^!Continue is proper highlighted

              ^!Keyboard DELETE

              ^!Set %LineN%=^$GetLineCount$
              :DumpLowers
              ^!Inc %LineN% -100
              ^!Jump ^%LineN%
              ^!Select +1
              ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "0" DumpLowers ELSE NotLower
              :NotLower
              ^!Jump +1
              ^!Select +1
              ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" NotLower ELSE DeleteLowers

              :DeleteLowers
              ^!Jump Select_Start
              ^!Set %cursor_row%=^$GetRow$
              ^!Set %cursor_col%=^$GetCol$
              ^!Jump Doc_End
              ^!SelectTo ^%cursor_row%:^%cursor_col%
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
                Even better, saves the German Characters

                ; by don at htmlfixit.com
                ; runs a text file and makes
                ; a list of all words that start
                ; with a capital letter
[...]

                :DumpBad
                ^!Select +1
                ^!IfError END
                ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ NEXT ELSE SKIP_2
                ^!Keyboard DELETE
                ^!GoTo DumpBad

                ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP
                ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP_4
                ^!Select Eol
                ^!Keyboard DELETE
                ^!Keyboard DELETE
                ^!GoTo DumpBad

                :GoNext
                ^!Jump +1
                ^!GoTo DumpBad
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
                  ; by don at htmlfixit.com
                  ; any-non lowercase non-alphabetic
                  ; character tests positive as Uppercase
                  ^!SetArray
                  %Original%="0";"1";"|";"?";"a";"@";"1";"+";"=";"F";"`";"~";"-";"q";"L";"[";"}";"
                  ";"x"
                  ^!Set %count%=0
                  :Loop
                  ^!Inc %count%
                  ^!If "^%count%" > "^%Original0%" End

                  ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^%Original^%count%%")$" = "1" UPPER ELSE NOTUPPER

                  :UPPER
                  ^!Info "^%Original^%count%%" is POSITIVE when tested as upper case --
                  even if it isn't a letter
                  ^!GoTo Loop

                  :NOTUPPER
                  ^!Info "^%Original^%count%%" is negative when tested as upper case
                  ^!GoTo Loop

                  Most interesting! IsUppercase is really NotLowercase! You would think
                  that IsUppercase would first verify that the character is alphabetic,
                  but it doesn't. IsLowercase works the same too, so it is really
                  NotUppercase. Because of this you first need to check I guess to be
                  sure it is alphabetic.

                  These results are consistent I guess with what help says:
                  ^$IsUppercase("Str")$ (added in v4.8)
                  Returns 1 if Str does not contain any lowercase characters, and 0 if it
                  does.

                  I would think it SHOULD be does not contain any lowercase or
                  non-alphabetic characters. But I guess you could have a contraction or
                  hyphenated, etc. So maybe that isn't correct. In any event, just be
                  aware and code accordingly.
                • Hugo Paulissen
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004

                    > I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
                    > correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of
                    words ,
                    > and sort them case sensitive?
                    >
                    > 1. Replace all spaces in the document with "^P" to change the list
                    > individual words (ignore puntuation, if you like.
                    >
                    > 2. Sort the list CASE SENSITIVE
                    >
                    > 3. Delete the lower case words
                    >

                    > 500 K files should contain about 80,000 words or so. Shouldn't take
                    > more than a few minutes to do this by hand. If you have a lot of
                    > files you can always write down the keystrokes you use, then do the
                    > sort by Menu commands (^!Menu Modify/...). I think there's a
                    > configuration switch to change sorting behaviour (remove duplicates
                    > or not; case sensitive or not).
                    >

                    > Abair

                    We're going around in circles...

                    Isn't this what I proposed a few messages earlier?

                    > What about this approach? You can easily see for yourself if this
                    is
                    > of any help.
                    >
                    > 1. replace " " with "^P" - don't know how fast that would be
                    > 2. trim/left align the text (which should have most words on a
                    > separate line by now)
                    > 3. sort the document with [Case Sensitive Sorting] and [Remove
                    > Duplicates] switched on (in options)
                    >
                    > Hugo

                  • Hugo Paulissen
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                      Don,

                      You wrote the kind of clip I had in mind and for which I didn't have the
                      time. It was clear that NoteTab's regex was in the way... ;-). If I had the
                      need for this clip I would definitely test it!

                      Hugo

                    • Don - htmlfixit.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                        Hugo Paulissen wrote:
                        > Don,
                        >
                        > You wrote the kind of clip I had in mind and for which I didn't have the
                        > time. It was clear that NoteTab's regex was in the way... ;-). If I had the
                        > need for this clip I would definitely test it!
                        >
                        > Hugo

                        I used the ideas of three of you (plus as usual something out of
                        noteblock). So it is a combination of three comments including yours,
                        the one on deleting what was unneeded -- come to think of it putting the
                        results in another file is four -- and the sorting alphbetically
                        comment. I think if one really wanted to do it with a regex, perl would
                        be a good choice, but for many that defeats the purpose because, even
                        though perl is easy to run on a pc from notetab, it is another whole thing.

                        I left screenupdate on so that you can kind of see it materialize and
                        know it is working.
                        I added a few special things that applied mainly to my test file, but
                        won't hurt on another file (like deleting a leading hyphen).

                        The most interesting thing I learned in the process is that IsUppercase
                        means NOT Lowercase.
                        Of course IsLowercase means NOT Uppercase as well. I first tested for
                        it to be a number.
                        Either will test positive for a non-alphabetic (white space,
                        punctuation, numbers -- all test postitive under either of those).

                        I had also forgotten the SKIP_# feature which I noticed when ripping
                        something off in the NoteBlock Library. That came in handy. I knew
                        SKIP but forgot you could skip multiple lines.

                        I usually put something at the top of my clips in a comment to describe
                        where they came from ... even though of course they usually come from a
                        combination of you all. It is NOT to claim some level of ownership or
                        anything because it is most often plagerized in essence to some degree
                        or other, but rather to help if we have to later dissect it or make
                        modifications.

                        I have decided to start "keeping" some of the clips I work on here:
                        http://htmlfixit.com/don_and_franki_news_blog_on_htmlfixit_dot_com/index.php?cat=14

                        I figure that will help me find them in the future when I want to copy
                        something from one of them for future use.
                      • franz_sternbald
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                          Hi all,

                          @Don

                          Thanks a lot - this was a great help to me! I've done some tests so
                          far, and it has led to perfect results. The second solution (without
                          DumpNumbers etc) reduced a file of 68,000 words to 3,590 words within
                          8 minutes. All capitalized, and there's only very little stuff left
                          that could be easily removed manually or with a few more Replace-
                          lines (for example single letters A, B, C etc., some special
                          characters like ¡¢£¤¥§©«)

                          The first clip seemed to work rather long on my PC. I stopped the
                          procedure after almost 2 hours. By then, it had reduced the same file
                          to 7.890 words. Then I took a file of 2,000 lines only and compared
                          the output of both clips with another tool. There was no big
                          difference (the second one saved a few more umlauts). So I think the
                          second clip is the better solution.

                          With both clips, I didn't run into "Out of memory". The only message
                          I got was "Some paragraphs were too long and had to be split." I
                          think that won't affect the result.

                          The second clip finds German umlauts (ÄÖÜäöü) as well and
                          distinguishes properly between uppercase and lowercase umlauts. They
                          are ASCII-sorted, but that's something we have to live with.

                          Your Lowercase/Uppercase Test Clip shows that numbers and special
                          characters like @?+=[ etc. are interpreted as lowercase characters
                          although they are not alphabetic.

                          I'll let you know in case I still get into any trouble...

                          @Abair & Hugo

                          > I just happend across this thread. If I have understood your needs
                          > correctly, why not just reduce the list to a single column of words,
                          > and sort them case sensitive?

                          The intention is to create an index of a text database, that is a
                          list of keywords (headwords). The databases are made with askSam (see
                          http://www.asksam.com) and exported to a TXT file (the index function
                          in askSam only produces words completely in capital LETTERS). These
                          keywords mainly are represented by nouns which, in German, start with
                          an uppercase letter ("the car/der Wagen"). However, about 50% of
                          these "capitalized" words actually are no nouns since they are
                          capitalized only because they are the first word in a sentence (for
                          example conjunctions like "And/and", adverbs like "Very/very" etc.).
                          So it won't be sufficient to sort and copy these capitalized words
                          only. I created lists of conjunctions and adverbs, stored in an
                          array, to be removed from that list of capitalized words.
                          Furthermore, there is a lot of stuff to be deleted too. So the
                          intention is to do the whole job in one go with NoteTab...

                          Regards,
                          Franz
                        • Don - htmlfixit.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                            franz_sternbald wrote:

                            > Hi all,
                            >
                            > @Don
                            >
                            > Thanks a lot - this was a great help to me! I've done some tests so
                            > far, and it has led to perfect results. The second solution (without
                            > DumpNumbers etc) reduced a file of 68,000 words to 3,590 words within
                            > 8 minutes. All capitalized, and there's only very little stuff left
                            > that could be easily removed manually or with a few more Replace-
                            > lines (for example single letters A, B, C etc., some special
                            > characters like ¡¢£¤¥§©«)
                            >
                            > The first clip seemed to work rather long on my PC. I stopped the
                            > procedure after almost 2 hours. By then, it had reduced the same file
                            > to 7.890 words. Then I took a file of 2,000 lines only and compared
                            > the output of both clips with another tool. There was no big
                            > difference (the second one saved a few more umlauts). So I think the
                            > second clip is the better solution.

                            Only the second clip will save Umlauts, so it is the only one that will
                            work. The first one should have been much faster if Umlauts weren't
                            required. I think I could improve it significantly by tuning the
                            bracketed searches (ie 10 or 100 line jumps should actually be
                            proportionate to the size of the file).

                            Anyway, as umlauts are to be saved, I have modified version 2 and made a
                            new version three with the following changes/enhancements:

                            1. it adds the additional characters you highlighted
                            2. it removes all single characters like A, Ä and ß for example if they
                            are all by themselves

                            Let me know:

                            ; by don at htmlfixit.com
                            ; using a bunch of Hugo's ideas
[...]

                            ; following is to dump all numer or lower cased
                            ; first character lines
                            :DumpBad
                            ^!If ^$GetRow$ = ^$GetLinecount$ Sort2
                            ^!Select +1
                            ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ NEXT ELSE SKIP_2
                            ^!Keyboard DELETE
                            ^!GoTo DumpBad

                            ^!If "^$IsNumber("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP
                            ^!If "^$IsUppercase("^$GetSelection$")$" = "1" SKIP_4
                            ^!Select Eol
                            ^!Keyboard DELETE
                            ^!Keyboard DELETE
                            ^!GoTo DumpBad

                            :GoNext
                            ^!Jump +1
                            ^!GoTo DumpBad

                            ; following is to eliminate single characters on one line
                            :Sort2
                            ^!Jump 1

                            :Sort2a
                            ^!Select Eol
                            ^!IfError END
                            ^!If ^$StrSize("^$GetSelection$")$ > 1 SKIP_2
                            ^!Keyboard DELETE
                            ^!Keyboard DELETE
                            ^!Jump +1
                            ^!GoTo Sort2a
                          • dpasseng
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 17, 2008
                              Updated link:

                              http://htmlfixit.com/blog/index.php?cat=14

                              Hugo, I hope you will still add things from time to time.

                              This answers one of my own questions of today! Funny I forgot all
                              about it.