nother error

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2004
      Line 2 Clip Syntax Error
      COPYFILE "signature09.txt"

      and here is the clip that I assembled that produces the above error:
      ^!CopyFile "^$GetShellFolder(c:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
      Documents\signature.txt)$signature^[dd^].txt"
      "^$GetShellFolder(C:Documents and Settings\Ed\My
      Documents\signature.txt)$signature.txt"

      --
      If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
      you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2004
        Ed Brown wrote:
        > Line 2 Clip Syntax Error
        > COPYFILE "signature09.txt"
        >
        > and here is the clip that I assembled that produces the above error:
        > ^!CopyFile "^$GetShellFolder(c:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
        > Documents\signature.txt)$signature^[dd^].txt"
        > "^$GetShellFolder(C:Documents and Settings\Ed\My
        > Documents\signature.txt)$signature.txt"

        Ed,

        If I understand you correctly you modified the example one line clip by
        replacing the word Personal with the full path to the signature file.

        Don't do that, replace the path you added with the word Personal and
        re-try the clip. The clip should work exactly as it is in my email.

        This command line has 2 spaces in it.

        H="Sigline Changer"
        ^!CopyFile "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
        "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"

        hrs

        --
        hsavage@...

        signature 09 line test in Mozilla
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 10, 2004
          I copied just as it is in this email and replaced it. It picks the right
          day and right sig text but this is the error I get now. So perhaps due
          to the email it may not have the spaces in the right place.
          Line 3 Clip Syntax Error
          COPYFILE "c:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\signature10.txt"

          This is what I have now.

          hsavage wrote:
          > Ed Brown wrote:
          > > Line 2 Clip Syntax Error
          > > COPYFILE "signature09.txt"
          > >
          > > and here is the clip that I assembled that produces the above error:
          > > ^!CopyFile "^$GetShellFolder(c:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
          > > Documents\signature.txt)$signature^[dd^].txt"
          > > "^$GetShellFolder(C:Documents and Settings\Ed\My
          > > Documents\signature.txt)$signature.txt"
          >

          > H="Sigline Changer"
          > ^!CopyFile "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
          > "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"
          >

          > hrs
          >
          > --
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 10, 2004
            Actually this is what I have now:

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 10, 2004
              Ed Brown wrote:

              >> This is what I have now.
              >>
              >> H="Sigline Changer"
              >> ^!CopyFile "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
              >> "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"

              Ed,

              I think we're getting closer, here is the clip converted to 3 shorter
              lines trying to prevent email interference with line wrapping.

              It also may be easier to read. It does seem we have a minor path problem.

              H="Sigline Changer"
              ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
              ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
              ^!CopyFile "^%newsig" "^%oldsig%"

              --
              hrs > hsavage@...

              Sigline Test File #10 for Mozilla Mail! 04-11-10
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 10, 2004
                We are getting closer. No error messages but it has taken the old
                signature line off and added nothing. Neither can I add any sig line to
                my email. So we have definitely made progress. Now if only we can get it
                to put up a signature line. I checked the Tools and Account settins and
                the old signature line is in there, but even if I change it there is no
                signature appearing on my emails now. Definitely Progress but which
                direction I do not know :-). I made H="Sigline Changer" the title of the
                clip and removed it from the clip otherwise. If I leave it on there it
                prints out on a page in NoteTab per se H="Sigline Changer" and the
                results with it or without as part of the clip are exactly the same as
                far as the eye can see. But the eye cannot see what the clip is really
                doing.:-)
                Ed

                hsavage wrote:
                > Ed Brown wrote:
                > >>
                > >> This is what I have now.
                > >>
                > >> H="Sigline Changer"
                > >> ^!CopyFile "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
                > >> "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"
                >
                > Ed,
                >
                > I think we're getting closer, here is the clip converted to 3 shorter
                > lines trying to prevent email interference with line wrapping.
                >
                > It also may be easier to read. It does seem we have a minor path problem.
                >

                > H="Sigline Changer"
                > ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
                > ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
                > ^!CopyFile "^%newsig" "^%oldsig%"
                >
                > --
                > hrs > hsavage@...
                >
                > Sigline Test File #10 for Mozilla Mail! 04-11-10
                >
                > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                > click here
                > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294v1qfa/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1100184760/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html>

              • Alan
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 10, 2004
                  hsavage wrote:
                  [ . . ]
                  > H="Sigline Changer"
                  > ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
                  > ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
                  > ^!CopyFile "^%newsig" "^%oldsig%"

                  % (at least here in my email) missing at end of "^%newsig"

                  "^%newsig%"

                  don't know if that have affect or not.

                  H="Sigline Changer test"
                  ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
                  ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
                  ^!Info newsig^%NL%^%newsig%^%NL%^%NL%oldsig^%NL%^%oldsig%
                  ;--end---

                  The Info box (code line) might provide you visual showing of if it is getting the paths alright or not.

                  --
                  Alan.
                • Ed Brown
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 10, 2004
                    Alan,
                    Thanks, this worked after I changed the oldsig to signature.txt. It
                    seems that I should leave the signature.txt in place as that is what
                    when into the line in Tools>Account Settings>attach this signature and
                    in the slot was written C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
                    Documents\signature.txt. It appears if this is left in place then the
                    clip will bring up the signature for the correct date. Will this work
                    every morning when I boot up the computer or will I need to go to the
                    Clip Library and click on the clip?
                    Ed

                    Alan wrote:

                    > hsavage wrote:
                    > [ . . ]
                    > > H="Sigline Changer"
                    > > ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
                    > > ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
                    > > ^!CopyFile "^%newsig" "^%oldsig%"
                    >
                    > % (at least here in my email) missing at end of "^%newsig"
                    >
                    > "^%newsig%"
                    >
                    > don't know if that have affect or not.
                    >
                    > H="Sigline Changer test"
                    > ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
                    > ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
                    > ^!Info newsig^%NL%^%newsig%^%NL%^%NL%oldsig^%NL%^%oldsig%
                    > ;--end---
                    >
                    > The Info box (code line) might provide you visual showing of if it is
                    > getting the paths alright or not.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Alan.
                    >

                    > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                    > click here
                    > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12903fbke/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1100193681/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

                    My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
                    -Unknown
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 10, 2004
                      Hi Ed,

                      I think we should move to the Off-Topic list, we're adding a lot of
                      repetitive text to the 'Clips list'. I'm CC'ing this to Off Topic.

                      Ed Brown wrote:
                      > We are getting closer. No error messages but it has taken the old
                      > signature line off and added nothing.

                      Will you check to see if you have both, in your My Documents, a
                      signature.txt file, and, a signature10.txt file. If you Compare the
                      contents in NoteTab they should be identical if you ran clip 'Sigline
                      Changer'.

                      Load the signature files into NoteTab, right-click on the filetab and
                      click 'Copy Name', that will copy the entire path\filename.ext to the
                      clipboard. The path\filename.ext for signature.txt should be the entry
                      in TB's Account settings line. Also, please paste that path\filename
                      into the next email.

                      > Neither can I add any sig line to
                      > my email. So we have definitely made progress. Now if only we can get it
                      > to put up a signature line. I checked the Tools and Account settins and
                      > the old signature line is in there, but even if I change it there is no
                      > signature appearing on my emails now.

                      Funny, doesn't feel like progress!-)
                      It's really odd, it works perfectly for me and we can't get it working
                      for you.

                      > Definitely Progress but which
                      > direction I do not know :-). I made H="Sigline Changer" the title of the
                      > clip and removed it from the clip otherwise. If I leave it on there it
                      > prints out on a page in NoteTab per se H="Sigline Changer" and the
                      > results with it or without as part of the clip are exactly the same as
                      > far as the eye can see. But the eye cannot see what the clip is really
                      > doing.:-)

                      You can use the clip below with the added command line, ^!SetDebug 1,
                      this gives a dialog box before each line is interpreted making it easier
                      to follow clip operation. To disable ^!SetDebug just change the 1 to a
                      zero.

                      > Ed
                      >
                      > hsavage wrote:

                      >> Ed,
                      >>
                      >> Here is the clip converted to 3 shorter
                      >> lines trying to prevent email interference with line wrapping.
                      >>
                      >> It also may be easier to read. It does seem we have a minor path
                      problem.

                      H="Sigline Changer"
                      ^!SetDebug 1
                      ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
                      ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
                      ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%oldsig%"

                      I dropped one of the percent signs from the newsig variable in the
                      copyfile line, that could be part of the problem. A corrected copy above.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 10, 2004
                        Ed Brown wrote:
                        > Thanks, this worked after I changed the oldsig to signature.txt. It
                        > seems that I should leave the signature.txt in place as that is what
                        > when into the line in Tools>Account Settings>attach this signature and
                        > in the slot was written C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
                        > Documents\signature.txt. It appears if this is left in place then the
                        > clip will bring up the signature for the correct date. Will this work
                        > every morning when I boot up the computer or will I need to go to the
                        > Clip Library and click on the clip?
                        > Ed

                        Ed,

                        There are, at least, 2 ways to do it from NoteTaB. Add the corrected
                        clip to your library of choice.

                        The info below is found in 'Help > Help Topics > Index Tab >
                        Command-line Parameters'.

                        You need to start NoteTab using a shortcut modified as below.
                        This is the 'Target' line from my NoteTab shortcut that I start NTP with
                        every day.

                        "C:\Fookes\Ntp\NotePro.exe" /L="+gdop:sigline changer"

                        +gdop is the libraryname, Sigline Changer is the clipname.
                        Be sure to use the double quotes to accommodate spaces in the path or
                        the command-line parameter.
                        This load the library and runs the clip on NoteTab initial startup.

                        Don't forget, the clip should be as follows;

                        H="Sigline Changer"
                        ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
                        ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
                        ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%oldsig%"

                        --------

                        from a previous email.

                        Your full path to NoteTab:

                        "c:\program files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /L=yourchoice

                        "c:\program files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /L="yourchoice:Sigline Changer"

                        /L=LibraryName:RunClip

                        Changes the default Clip library to the one indicated by LibraryName
                        (without extension or path). Optionally use RunClip to specify a Clip to
                        execute once NoteTab is open.

                        --
                        hrs > hsavage@...

                        Sigline Test File #10 for Mozilla Mail! 04-11-10
                      • Alan C.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 10, 2004
                          On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:10:10 -0600, Ed Brown wrote:
                          [ A sig changer clip ]
                          >�[ . . ] It appears if this is left in place then the
                          >�clip will bring up the signature for the correct date. �Will this work
                          >�every morning when I boot up the computer or will I need to go to the
                          >�Clip Library and click on the clip?

                          I've only seen portions of this thread so I haven't fully grasped what this thread is all about. But it appears to be about using Notetab clip so as to accomplish a daily sig line change.

                          Harvey provided the answer which is that 1. Notetab can be launched via the command line. 2. a windows shortcut may hold just such a command line.

                          Place your command line into a windows shortcut and then drop that shortcut into what is called your startup folder. My Win 2k is on D: drive, here's where my startup located. Yours will be similar but a little different but still should have startup

                          D:\Documents and Settings\fb11_s\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

                          Once all that is done then whenever two criteria be met is when your sig line be changed. the two criteria are 1. computer boot up or startup 2. a change of date since last bootup ie a or the next day.

                          so if you start your computer at least once a day then each day you should get a change of sig which will last for 24 hours until the day rolls over to another day. Another day, another different sig.

                          Alan.