Re: [Clip] error Line 1

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
      Ed Brown wrote:
      > Jody and/or any clip writer,
      >
      > How should this clip be written to pick up today's signature and added
      > to my email. The signatures are located C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
      > Documents\signature.txt, signature2.txt, signature3.txt (etc etc through
      > signature31.txt.
      >
      > Perhaps they should be place in a folder in My Documents and called from
      > within a folder named signature. I have no idea how to proceed with this
      > clip.
      > Thanks
      > Ed
      >
      > Here is the clip as assembled by myself -- No giggling.
      >
      > ^!Goto ^$GetDate(mm/dd/yy)$;
      > :01
      > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
      > ^!Goto End

      Ed,

      You already have the signatureXX.txt files in 'My Documents'. The
      method I would use is;

      • create 31 sig files as you have, begin at signature01.txt, up to
      signature31.txt, one for each day of the month including the long months.

      • setup ThunderBird to use this path and sigline message file,

      • C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\signature.txt

      • create a one line clip to run first thing each day you boot up, or, if
      you don't shut down, run the clip before starting ThunderBird.

      • this is the clip, it's only one long line;

      • H="Sigline Changer"
      • ^!CopyFile "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
      "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"

      • the ^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$ should be the universal 'windows' path
      to your My Documents' folder, it is to mine.

      • the clip e.g., starting Nov. 10 will copy signature10.txt to
      signature.txt, replacing the previous signature.txt.

      • signature.txt is already setup in TB so TB will then automatically
      insert and use the new signature.txt as your sigline.

      You've already done the hardest part, creating the 31 numbered files in
      My Documents. I tried this out on a few sample sig files and it works
      fine. This is much simpler than trying to write 1 or 2 convoluted clips
      to insert the sigline text.

      The sigline following was inserted automatically by Mozilla using this
      method.

      hrs

      --
      hsavage@...

      signature 09 line test in Mozilla
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
        Hi Ed,

        This is probably water under the bridge now, but I found it in my out box...

        >This is what Jody told me to do, but I am sure I did not understand what
        >he meant especially with the last part H=02

        You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
        Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
        not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
        for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
        following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
        for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.

        ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$

        :01
        ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
        ^!Goto End

        :02 ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(02)$
        ^!Goto End

        :02 ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(31)$ ^!Goto End

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
          Jody wrote:
          > Hi Ed,
          >
          > You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
          > Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
          > not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
          > for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
          > following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
          > for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.
          >
          > ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$
          >
          > :01
          > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
          > ^!Goto End

          Hi Jody,

          It seems your suggestion is geared toward a user that does email, as you
          have stated, and, as I do most of my email, using NoteTab as the Edit
          email window.

          From all the correspondence I assumed Ed does editing, composing and
          replying using the ThunderBird Composer. I don't recall any indication
          otherwise. Using any complex clip method would require him building a
          clip for switching back and forth between app's to insert the sigline
          into the TB composer.

          Ed's a self admitted clip novice and since he already had all the sig
          files built I was going for the simple 1 line clip just to switch the
          sigline file each day so TB could read and use it normally.

          This method works well with minimal intervention from clips or user. I
          think we've just run into a path, or, other simple problem. And, I did
          leave a '%' sign out a clip variable.

          --
          hrs > havage@...

          Sigline Test File #10 for Mozilla Mail! 04-11-10
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
            Hi Harvey,

            Thanks! Once I saw you other pros step in, I figured you can have
            it. :) I just had that post in my outbox and sent it in. Thanks
            for picking this up leaving me time for other stuff.

            ^!FocusApp ""
            ^!IfSame "StrCopy...(^$GetAppTitle$)" "..." Next else Skip_-1

            :)

            >Jody wrote:
            > > Hi Ed,
            > > ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$
            > >
            > > :01
            > > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
            > > ^!Goto End
            > >

            >It seems your suggestion is geared toward a user that does email, as you
            >have stated, and, as I do most of my email, using NoteTab as the Edit
            >email window.

            Take care,
            Jody Adair

            and even thou doest err some! ;)
            http://clean-funnies.com
            http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
              Jody wrote:

              You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
              Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
              not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
              for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
              following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
              for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.

              Is this considered to be English? It is very difficilt to read.

              Bruce

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                Hi Bruce,

                Not that I usually reply to such posts, but in case you are
                really trying to do something making a Clip like is being
                discussed, I'll reply and just figure you are having a bad hair
                day. :-)

                Just a "please rewrite and make clear what you posted Jody" would
                have been sufficient w/o the sarcastic remark "Is this considered
                to be English?" Yes, it is considered to be English, although not
                coherent. I do a lot of eMail so I use automatic spelling
                checking and an auto-complete utility so unless I proof read
                everything which I don't have the time for sometimes they don't
                come trough clear. Sorry about that!

                You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, but why
                not just stick to the two digit day/date for each clip. You'll
                have :01 - :31 for the Label name. You would also have a Clip
                with all the following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips
                with the sig for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see
                is going on.

                It's not going to make much sense anyway if you have not been
                following the thread all the way. Here is a little that might
                help it make more sense.

                I forgot the most important part. <g> You drag the Clip with the
                goto getdate in it to your default Clipbar, mark the Library as
                Hidden (Open as Document - Document | Disk File Properties -
                Hidden) and then just click on the icon you assign it when you
                want the sig inserted. If you wanted to use a random signature
                change the dd in getdate to ss for seconds and then you could put
                in 60 siglines. ;) Or, you could go *real big* and use the RND
                thing-a-ma-jigger in the ^$Calc function. :)

                ^!Info ^$Calc(RND(100000);0)$

                That's a whole lot of signatures to randomly choose from. ;)

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 11, 2004
                  OK Jody - I apologize for the sarcastic remark "Is this considered
                  to be English?"

                  Is the "bad hair day" remark not the same thing?

                  It is important to realize that careful typing and proof-reading
                  are essential when you are explaining concepts to people who are
                  not acquainted with them and are uncertain. Otherwise, they would
                  not be looking for help.

                  "You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                  Clips with your signatures."

                  Does "two groups Clips" then mean "two sets of clips". The last
                  sentence below suggests that. Or have I indeed misunderstood?

                  Bruce

                  ------------------------

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 12, 2004
                    Hi Bruce,

                    >OK Jody - I apologize for the sarcastic remark "Is this
                    >considered to be English?"

                    Thanks!

                    >Is the "bad hair day" remark not the same thing?

                    No, I had a smiley face behind it doing it in humor.

                    >"You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                    >Clips with your signatures."
                    >
                    >Does "two groups Clips" then mean "two sets of clips". The last
                    >sentence below suggests that. Or have I indeed misunderstood?

                    Yes, actually, you can forget the sets. You would need a Clip
                    that you would click on to insert the text you want, 31 labels in
                    it, and 31 additional Clips, one for each day with the actual
                    text to insert for the current day. The following is an
                    abbreviated example. You need to add your signature lines where
                    it says so. I put a full Library up for you. All you need to do
                    is extract the Library to the Libraries folder and add your text
                    that you want inserted. It is for 31 Clips/days.

                    http://www.notetab.net/zip/sigline.zip
                    I use a lot of similar methods in my SureWords Library.
                    http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

                    <--- Copy below this line --->
                    H="Info"
                    ; eMailed on 11-12-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
                    ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

                    ; long line...
                    ^!Info [L]Right click over combobox window where it says "SigLine" and choose "Open as Document." Edit the H="01" through H="31" Clips adding the text you want in them to insert into your document. Once completed, test by clicking on Insert SigLine. After that, drag/drop that Clip to your Clipbar and assign button if desired. Once you see it is all working correctly, you can click on Document | Disk File Properties and mark the Library as Hidden. It will not take up room on your Libraries bar that way. You'll always have easy access to it so long as you have the Clipbar that "Insert SigLine" is in/on active.

                    H="Insert SigLine"
                    ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$

                    :01
                    ; This could also be used with ^$GetFileText(FileName)$
                    ; instead of building Clips using ^$GetClipText(ClipName)$.
                    ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
                    ^!Goto End

                    :02
                    ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(02)$
                    ^!Goto End

                    ; ..............

                    :31
                    ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(31)$
                    ^!Goto End

                    H="Info"
                    ; long line
                    ^!Info [L]You would also have Clips with the ClipName being the two digit date: 01, 02, 03...31

                    H="01"
                    A signature line goes here or whatever you want inserted at the
                    cursor point on the day (01, 02, 03...31) that the Clip is used.

                    H="02"
                    A signature line...02

                    H="03"
                    A signature line...03

                    ; .............

                    H="31"
                    A signature line...31

                    <--- Copy above this line --->
                    <--- Right click over a Library --->
                    <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                    >I'll reply and just figure you are having a bad hair day. :-)
                    >
                    >You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                    >Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, but why
                    >not just stick to the two digit day/date for each clip. You'll
                    >have :01 - :31 for the Label name. You would also have a Clip
                    >with all the following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips
                    >with the sig for the day in each. Use Info boxes so you can see
                    >what is going on.

                  • Julie
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 19, 2005
                      Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I ask:
                      Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?

                    • Lee Underwood
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 19, 2005
                        If you run the clip using the ESC key, you can then just tap the ESC key,
                        and hit return to re-run the clip again.

                        Lee

                        On 7/19/05 10:26 AM, Julie wrote:
                        >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                        >ask:
                        >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?
                        >

                        >--
                      • loro
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 20, 2005
                          Julie wrote:
                          >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                          >ask:
                          >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?

                          Ctrl + Spacebar. But since you say that clicking the clip doesn't work I
                          guess Ctrl + Spacebar is out too...

                          Lotta
                        • Julie
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 20, 2005
                            At 7/20/2005 04:17 AM, loro wrote:
                            >Julie wrote:
                            > >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                            > >ask:
                            > >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?
                            >
                            >Ctrl + Spacebar. But since you say that clicking the clip doesn't work I
                            >guess Ctrl + Spacebar is out too...

                            That should've said don't *want* to paste the clip :-).

                            That works!

                            I saw that in the keyboard shortcuts, but since it read
                            "Paste current Clip" I wasn't thinking along the lines of having that clip
                            repeated.

                            Thanks, Lott!