Re: [Clip] error Line 1

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
      Hi Ed,

      > As near as I could follow what you said (you spoke in clipspeak
      > and I barely speak English, I only speak Texas real good)

      Charles R, is correct according to the Clipspeak I mentioned.
      Sorry, I only speak hillbilly and some GeekSpeak, no foreign (to
      America) language like Texan, TexArkansas, or TextMex. <bg>

      You only want to use the day in the Goto Clip... and no semicolon at the end.

      ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$

      >Error Line 1; clip syntax error
      ><11/09/04;> Label not found
      >
      >^!Goto ^$GetDate(mm/dd/yy)$;
      >:01
      >^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
      >^!Goto End

      Take care,
      Jody Adair

      and even thou doest err some! ;)
      http://clean-funnies.com
      http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
        Ed Brown wrote:
        > Jody and/or any clip writer,
        >
        > How should this clip be written to pick up today's signature and added
        > to my email. The signatures are located C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
        > Documents\signature.txt, signature2.txt, signature3.txt (etc etc through
        > signature31.txt.
        >
        > Perhaps they should be place in a folder in My Documents and called from
        > within a folder named signature. I have no idea how to proceed with this
        > clip.
        > Thanks
        > Ed
        >
        > Here is the clip as assembled by myself -- No giggling.
        >
        > ^!Goto ^$GetDate(mm/dd/yy)$;
        > :01
        > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
        > ^!Goto End

        Ed,

        You already have the signatureXX.txt files in 'My Documents'. The
        method I would use is;

        • create 31 sig files as you have, begin at signature01.txt, up to
        signature31.txt, one for each day of the month including the long months.

        • setup ThunderBird to use this path and sigline message file,

        • C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\signature.txt

        • create a one line clip to run first thing each day you boot up, or, if
        you don't shut down, run the clip before starting ThunderBird.

        • this is the clip, it's only one long line;

        • H="Sigline Changer"
        • ^!CopyFile "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
        "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"

        • the ^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$ should be the universal 'windows' path
        to your My Documents' folder, it is to mine.

        • the clip e.g., starting Nov. 10 will copy signature10.txt to
        signature.txt, replacing the previous signature.txt.

        • signature.txt is already setup in TB so TB will then automatically
        insert and use the new signature.txt as your sigline.

        You've already done the hardest part, creating the 31 numbered files in
        My Documents. I tried this out on a few sample sig files and it works
        fine. This is much simpler than trying to write 1 or 2 convoluted clips
        to insert the sigline text.

        The sigline following was inserted automatically by Mozilla using this
        method.

        hrs

        --
        hsavage@...

        signature 09 line test in Mozilla
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
          Hi Ed,

          This is probably water under the bridge now, but I found it in my out box...

          >This is what Jody told me to do, but I am sure I did not understand what
          >he meant especially with the last part H=02

          You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
          Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
          not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
          for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
          following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
          for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.

          ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$

          :01
          ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
          ^!Goto End

          :02 ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(02)$
          ^!Goto End

          :02 ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(31)$ ^!Goto End

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
            Jody wrote:
            > Hi Ed,
            >
            > You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
            > Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
            > not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
            > for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
            > following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
            > for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.
            >
            > ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$
            >
            > :01
            > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
            > ^!Goto End

            Hi Jody,

            It seems your suggestion is geared toward a user that does email, as you
            have stated, and, as I do most of my email, using NoteTab as the Edit
            email window.

            From all the correspondence I assumed Ed does editing, composing and
            replying using the ThunderBird Composer. I don't recall any indication
            otherwise. Using any complex clip method would require him building a
            clip for switching back and forth between app's to insert the sigline
            into the TB composer.

            Ed's a self admitted clip novice and since he already had all the sig
            files built I was going for the simple 1 line clip just to switch the
            sigline file each day so TB could read and use it normally.

            This method works well with minimal intervention from clips or user. I
            think we've just run into a path, or, other simple problem. And, I did
            leave a '%' sign out a clip variable.

            --
            hrs > havage@...

            Sigline Test File #10 for Mozilla Mail! 04-11-10
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
              Hi Harvey,

              Thanks! Once I saw you other pros step in, I figured you can have
              it. :) I just had that post in my outbox and sent it in. Thanks
              for picking this up leaving me time for other stuff.

              ^!FocusApp ""
              ^!IfSame "StrCopy...(^$GetAppTitle$)" "..." Next else Skip_-1

              :)

            • bruce.somers@web.de
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                Jody wrote:

                You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
                Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
                not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
                for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
                following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
                for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.

                Is this considered to be English? It is very difficilt to read.

                Bruce

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                  Hi Bruce,

                  Not that I usually reply to such posts, but in case you are
                  really trying to do something making a Clip like is being
                  discussed, I'll reply and just figure you are having a bad hair
                  day. :-)

                  Just a "please rewrite and make clear what you posted Jody" would
                  have been sufficient w/o the sarcastic remark "Is this considered
                  to be English?" Yes, it is considered to be English, although not
                  coherent. I do a lot of eMail so I use automatic spelling
                  checking and an auto-complete utility so unless I proof read
                  everything which I don't have the time for sometimes they don't
                  come trough clear. Sorry about that!

                  You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                  Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, but why
                  not just stick to the two digit day/date for each clip. You'll
                  have :01 - :31 for the Label name. You would also have a Clip
                  with all the following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips
                  with the sig for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see
                  is going on.

                  It's not going to make much sense anyway if you have not been
                  following the thread all the way. Here is a little that might
                  help it make more sense.

                  I forgot the most important part. <g> You drag the Clip with the
                  goto getdate in it to your default Clipbar, mark the Library as
                  Hidden (Open as Document - Document | Disk File Properties -
                  Hidden) and then just click on the icon you assign it when you
                  want the sig inserted. If you wanted to use a random signature
                  change the dd in getdate to ss for seconds and then you could put
                  in 60 siglines. ;) Or, you could go *real big* and use the RND
                  thing-a-ma-jigger in the ^$Calc function. :)

                  ^!Info ^$Calc(RND(100000);0)$

                  That's a whole lot of signatures to randomly choose from. ;)

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 11, 2004
                    OK Jody - I apologize for the sarcastic remark "Is this considered
                    to be English?"

                    Is the "bad hair day" remark not the same thing?

                    It is important to realize that careful typing and proof-reading
                    are essential when you are explaining concepts to people who are
                    not acquainted with them and are uncertain. Otherwise, they would
                    not be looking for help.

                    "You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                    Clips with your signatures."

                    Does "two groups Clips" then mean "two sets of clips". The last
                    sentence below suggests that. Or have I indeed misunderstood?

                    Bruce

                    ------------------------

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 12, 2004
                      Hi Bruce,

                      >OK Jody - I apologize for the sarcastic remark "Is this
                      >considered to be English?"

                      Thanks!

                      >Is the "bad hair day" remark not the same thing?

                      No, I had a smiley face behind it doing it in humor.

                      >"You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                      >Clips with your signatures."
                      >
                      >Does "two groups Clips" then mean "two sets of clips". The last
                      >sentence below suggests that. Or have I indeed misunderstood?

                      Yes, actually, you can forget the sets. You would need a Clip
                      that you would click on to insert the text you want, 31 labels in
                      it, and 31 additional Clips, one for each day with the actual
                      text to insert for the current day. The following is an
                      abbreviated example. You need to add your signature lines where
                      it says so. I put a full Library up for you. All you need to do
                      is extract the Library to the Libraries folder and add your text
                      that you want inserted. It is for 31 Clips/days.

                      http://www.notetab.net/zip/sigline.zip
                      I use a lot of similar methods in my SureWords Library.
                      http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

                      <--- Copy below this line --->
                      H="Info"
                      ; eMailed on 11-12-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
                      ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

                      ; long line...
                      ^!Info [L]Right click over combobox window where it says "SigLine" and choose "Open as Document." Edit the H="01" through H="31" Clips adding the text you want in them to insert into your document. Once completed, test by clicking on Insert SigLine. After that, drag/drop that Clip to your Clipbar and assign button if desired. Once you see it is all working correctly, you can click on Document | Disk File Properties and mark the Library as Hidden. It will not take up room on your Libraries bar that way. You'll always have easy access to it so long as you have the Clipbar that "Insert SigLine" is in/on active.

                      H="Insert SigLine"
                      ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$

                      :01
                      ; This could also be used with ^$GetFileText(FileName)$
                      ; instead of building Clips using ^$GetClipText(ClipName)$.
                      ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
                      ^!Goto End

                      :02
                      ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(02)$
                      ^!Goto End

                      ; ..............

                      :31
                      ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(31)$
                      ^!Goto End

                      H="Info"
                      ; long line
                      ^!Info [L]You would also have Clips with the ClipName being the two digit date: 01, 02, 03...31

                      H="01"
                      A signature line goes here or whatever you want inserted at the
                      cursor point on the day (01, 02, 03...31) that the Clip is used.

                      H="02"
                      A signature line...02

                      H="03"
                      A signature line...03

                      ; .............

                      H="31"
                      A signature line...31

                      <--- Copy above this line --->
                      <--- Right click over a Library --->
                      <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                      >I'll reply and just figure you are having a bad hair day. :-)
                      >
                      >You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                      >Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, but why
                      >not just stick to the two digit day/date for each clip. You'll
                      >have :01 - :31 for the Label name. You would also have a Clip
                      >with all the following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips
                      >with the sig for the day in each. Use Info boxes so you can see
                      >what is going on.

                    • Julie
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 19, 2005
                        Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I ask:
                        Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?

                      • Lee Underwood
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 19, 2005
                          If you run the clip using the ESC key, you can then just tap the ESC key,
                          and hit return to re-run the clip again.

                          Lee

                          On 7/19/05 10:26 AM, Julie wrote:
                          >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                          >ask:
                          >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?
                          >

                          >--
                        • loro
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 20, 2005
                            Julie wrote:
                            >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                            >ask:
                            >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?

                            Ctrl + Spacebar. But since you say that clicking the clip doesn't work I
                            guess Ctrl + Spacebar is out too...

                            Lotta
                          • Julie
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 20, 2005
                              At 7/20/2005 04:17 AM, loro wrote:
                              >Julie wrote:
                              > >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                              > >ask:
                              > >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?
                              >
                              >Ctrl + Spacebar. But since you say that clicking the clip doesn't work I
                              >guess Ctrl + Spacebar is out too...

                              That should've said don't *want* to paste the clip :-).

                              That works!

                              I saw that in the keyboard shortcuts, but since it read
                              "Paste current Clip" I wasn't thinking along the lines of having that clip
                              repeated.

                              Thanks, Lott!