Re: [Clip] error Line 1

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
      OK, here are some of the signatures, which incidently were copied on
      NotePad and saved as stated in My Documents as per instructions from
      Thunderbird and then Thunderbird picks up the one I want when I enter.
      If you are not aware of the instructions go to Thunderbird, Tools and
      Acct Settings and down to where you check attach this signature. Then in
      this box I have this:C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
      Documents\signature11.txt

      So on all my emails this signature saved in My Documents as
      signature11.txt appears: If you pick up a starving dog and make him
      prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference
      between a dog and a man.
      -Mark Twain

      Now if I change to signature12.txt (where signature11.txt now appears) I
      would see this at the bottom of my email messages: Ever consider what
      our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery
      store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow.
      They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
      -Anne Tyler

      And should I go back and insert signature3.txt, this would appear:
      If you don't know [your family's] history, then you don't know anything.
      You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree.
      --Michael Chrichton
      When I look at them with Windows Explorer I see this as I search for
      them Local Disk C or C:\Documents and Settings>Ed>My Documents>(in my
      Documents after folders everything appears in alphabetical order) when I
      scan down to the "si..." if find signature2.txt, signature3.txt etc
      through 31 and last comes the first one signature.txt.

      If you are not familar with Thunderbird I will send you privately a
      screen shot of how the page appears. There may be a way to send it to
      notetab clips yahoogroups.com but I do not know how to do this.

      You see in Thunderbird signatures are added very differently than in
      Outlook Express.

      This is what Jody told me to do, but I am sure I did not understand what
      he meant especially with the last part H=02
      paste:
      I just now think I see some light there. he meant H-02
      paste:signature2.txt? I need to create the new library and enter those
      to match what I sent you. Not sure how to call the new library from the
      clip that I sent in my first email on this string.

      I know how to create a new library from the combobox.
      Ed

      Hi Ed,

      You could have a Clip with all the following (through 31). You would
      also have 31 Clips with the sig for the day in each. The getDate returns
      a two digit date: dd. It would go to the corresponding label where it
      would get the Clip text for that day.

      ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$

      :01
      ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
      ^!Goto End

      :02
      ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(02)$
      ^!Goto End

      :02
      ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(31)$
      ^!Goto End

      The easiest way to do it would be make a new Library from the library
      name combobox at the top of the Clipbook Library. In a document you type
      in the following where "paste" means to paste in the sigline for that
      day. Once you get the 31 done copy all, right click over your new
      Library and choose Add from Clipboard, save and you are done with that
      part. Just build the other half and you are done. Click on the Clip and
      it should insert the sig at the cursor point.

      H=01
      paste

      H=02
      paste

      H=03
      paste

      etc.

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
        Hi Ed,

        > As near as I could follow what you said (you spoke in clipspeak
        > and I barely speak English, I only speak Texas real good)

        Charles R, is correct according to the Clipspeak I mentioned.
        Sorry, I only speak hillbilly and some GeekSpeak, no foreign (to
        America) language like Texan, TexArkansas, or TextMex. <bg>

        You only want to use the day in the Goto Clip... and no semicolon at the end.

        ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$

        >Error Line 1; clip syntax error
        ><11/09/04;> Label not found
        >
        >^!Goto ^$GetDate(mm/dd/yy)$;
        >:01
        >^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
        >^!Goto End

        Take care,
        Jody Adair

        and even thou doest err some! ;)
        http://clean-funnies.com
        http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
          Ed Brown wrote:
          > Jody and/or any clip writer,
          >
          > How should this clip be written to pick up today's signature and added
          > to my email. The signatures are located C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
          > Documents\signature.txt, signature2.txt, signature3.txt (etc etc through
          > signature31.txt.
          >
          > Perhaps they should be place in a folder in My Documents and called from
          > within a folder named signature. I have no idea how to proceed with this
          > clip.
          > Thanks
          > Ed
          >
          > Here is the clip as assembled by myself -- No giggling.
          >
          > ^!Goto ^$GetDate(mm/dd/yy)$;
          > :01
          > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
          > ^!Goto End

          Ed,

          You already have the signatureXX.txt files in 'My Documents'. The
          method I would use is;

          • create 31 sig files as you have, begin at signature01.txt, up to
          signature31.txt, one for each day of the month including the long months.

          • setup ThunderBird to use this path and sigline message file,

          • C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\signature.txt

          • create a one line clip to run first thing each day you boot up, or, if
          you don't shut down, run the clip before starting ThunderBird.

          • this is the clip, it's only one long line;

          • H="Sigline Changer"
          • ^!CopyFile "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
          "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"

          • the ^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$ should be the universal 'windows' path
          to your My Documents' folder, it is to mine.

          • the clip e.g., starting Nov. 10 will copy signature10.txt to
          signature.txt, replacing the previous signature.txt.

          • signature.txt is already setup in TB so TB will then automatically
          insert and use the new signature.txt as your sigline.

          You've already done the hardest part, creating the 31 numbered files in
          My Documents. I tried this out on a few sample sig files and it works
          fine. This is much simpler than trying to write 1 or 2 convoluted clips
          to insert the sigline text.

          The sigline following was inserted automatically by Mozilla using this
          method.

          hrs

          --
          hsavage@...

          signature 09 line test in Mozilla
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
            Hi Ed,

            This is probably water under the bridge now, but I found it in my out box...

            >This is what Jody told me to do, but I am sure I did not understand what
            >he meant especially with the last part H=02

            You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
            Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
            not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
            for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
            following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
            for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
              Jody wrote:
              > Hi Ed,
              >
              > You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
              > Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
              > not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
              > for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
              > following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
              > for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.
              >
              > ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$
              >
              > :01
              > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
              > ^!Goto End

              Hi Jody,

              It seems your suggestion is geared toward a user that does email, as you
              have stated, and, as I do most of my email, using NoteTab as the Edit
              email window.

              From all the correspondence I assumed Ed does editing, composing and
              replying using the ThunderBird Composer. I don't recall any indication
              otherwise. Using any complex clip method would require him building a
              clip for switching back and forth between app's to insert the sigline
              into the TB composer.

              Ed's a self admitted clip novice and since he already had all the sig
              files built I was going for the simple 1 line clip just to switch the
              sigline file each day so TB could read and use it normally.

              This method works well with minimal intervention from clips or user. I
              think we've just run into a path, or, other simple problem. And, I did
              leave a '%' sign out a clip variable.

              --
              hrs > havage@...

              Sigline Test File #10 for Mozilla Mail! 04-11-10
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                Hi Harvey,

                Thanks! Once I saw you other pros step in, I figured you can have
                it. :) I just had that post in my outbox and sent it in. Thanks
                for picking this up leaving me time for other stuff.

                ^!FocusApp ""
                ^!IfSame "StrCopy...(^$GetAppTitle$)" "..." Next else Skip_-1

                :)

              • bruce.somers@web.de
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                  Jody wrote:

                  You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
                  Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
                  not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
                  for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
                  following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
                  for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.

                  Is this considered to be English? It is very difficilt to read.

                  Bruce

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                    Hi Bruce,

                    Not that I usually reply to such posts, but in case you are
                    really trying to do something making a Clip like is being
                    discussed, I'll reply and just figure you are having a bad hair
                    day. :-)

                    Just a "please rewrite and make clear what you posted Jody" would
                    have been sufficient w/o the sarcastic remark "Is this considered
                    to be English?" Yes, it is considered to be English, although not
                    coherent. I do a lot of eMail so I use automatic spelling
                    checking and an auto-complete utility so unless I proof read
                    everything which I don't have the time for sometimes they don't
                    come trough clear. Sorry about that!

                    You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                    Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, but why
                    not just stick to the two digit day/date for each clip. You'll
                    have :01 - :31 for the Label name. You would also have a Clip
                    with all the following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips
                    with the sig for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see
                    is going on.

                    It's not going to make much sense anyway if you have not been
                    following the thread all the way. Here is a little that might
                    help it make more sense.

                    I forgot the most important part. <g> You drag the Clip with the
                    goto getdate in it to your default Clipbar, mark the Library as
                    Hidden (Open as Document - Document | Disk File Properties -
                    Hidden) and then just click on the icon you assign it when you
                    want the sig inserted. If you wanted to use a random signature
                    change the dd in getdate to ss for seconds and then you could put
                    in 60 siglines. ;) Or, you could go *real big* and use the RND
                    thing-a-ma-jigger in the ^$Calc function. :)

                    ^!Info ^$Calc(RND(100000);0)$

                    That's a whole lot of signatures to randomly choose from. ;)

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 11, 2004
                      OK Jody - I apologize for the sarcastic remark "Is this considered
                      to be English?"

                      Is the "bad hair day" remark not the same thing?

                      It is important to realize that careful typing and proof-reading
                      are essential when you are explaining concepts to people who are
                      not acquainted with them and are uncertain. Otherwise, they would
                      not be looking for help.

                      "You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                      Clips with your signatures."

                      Does "two groups Clips" then mean "two sets of clips". The last
                      sentence below suggests that. Or have I indeed misunderstood?

                      Bruce

                      ------------------------

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 12, 2004
                        Hi Bruce,

                        >OK Jody - I apologize for the sarcastic remark "Is this
                        >considered to be English?"

                        Thanks!

                        >Is the "bad hair day" remark not the same thing?

                        No, I had a smiley face behind it doing it in humor.

                        >"You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                        >Clips with your signatures."
                        >
                        >Does "two groups Clips" then mean "two sets of clips". The last
                        >sentence below suggests that. Or have I indeed misunderstood?

                        Yes, actually, you can forget the sets. You would need a Clip
                        that you would click on to insert the text you want, 31 labels in
                        it, and 31 additional Clips, one for each day with the actual
                        text to insert for the current day. The following is an
                        abbreviated example. You need to add your signature lines where
                        it says so. I put a full Library up for you. All you need to do
                        is extract the Library to the Libraries folder and add your text
                        that you want inserted. It is for 31 Clips/days.

                        http://www.notetab.net/zip/sigline.zip
                        I use a lot of similar methods in my SureWords Library.
                        http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

                        <--- Copy below this line --->
                        H="Info"
                        ; eMailed on 11-12-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
                        ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

                        ; long line...
                        ^!Info [L]Right click over combobox window where it says "SigLine" and choose "Open as Document." Edit the H="01" through H="31" Clips adding the text you want in them to insert into your document. Once completed, test by clicking on Insert SigLine. After that, drag/drop that Clip to your Clipbar and assign button if desired. Once you see it is all working correctly, you can click on Document | Disk File Properties and mark the Library as Hidden. It will not take up room on your Libraries bar that way. You'll always have easy access to it so long as you have the Clipbar that "Insert SigLine" is in/on active.

                        H="Insert SigLine"
                        ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$

                        :01
                        ; This could also be used with ^$GetFileText(FileName)$
                        ; instead of building Clips using ^$GetClipText(ClipName)$.
                        ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
                        ^!Goto End

                        :02
                        ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(02)$
                        ^!Goto End

                        ; ..............

                        :31
                        ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(31)$
                        ^!Goto End

                        H="Info"
                        ; long line
                        ^!Info [L]You would also have Clips with the ClipName being the two digit date: 01, 02, 03...31

                        H="01"
                        A signature line goes here or whatever you want inserted at the
                        cursor point on the day (01, 02, 03...31) that the Clip is used.

                        H="02"
                        A signature line...02

                        H="03"
                        A signature line...03

                        ; .............

                        H="31"
                        A signature line...31

                        <--- Copy above this line --->
                        <--- Right click over a Library --->
                        <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                        >I'll reply and just figure you are having a bad hair day. :-)
                        >
                        >You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                        >Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, but why
                        >not just stick to the two digit day/date for each clip. You'll
                        >have :01 - :31 for the Label name. You would also have a Clip
                        >with all the following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips
                        >with the sig for the day in each. Use Info boxes so you can see
                        >what is going on.

                      • Julie
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 19, 2005
                          Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I ask:
                          Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?

                        • Lee Underwood
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 19, 2005
                            If you run the clip using the ESC key, you can then just tap the ESC key,
                            and hit return to re-run the clip again.

                            Lee

                            On 7/19/05 10:26 AM, Julie wrote:
                            >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                            >ask:
                            >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?
                            >

                            >--
                          • loro
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 20, 2005
                              Julie wrote:
                              >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                              >ask:
                              >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?

                              Ctrl + Spacebar. But since you say that clicking the clip doesn't work I
                              guess Ctrl + Spacebar is out too...

                              Lotta
                            • Julie
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 20, 2005
                                At 7/20/2005 04:17 AM, loro wrote:
                                >Julie wrote:
                                > >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                                > >ask:
                                > >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?
                                >
                                >Ctrl + Spacebar. But since you say that clicking the clip doesn't work I
                                >guess Ctrl + Spacebar is out too...

                                That should've said don't *want* to paste the clip :-).

                                That works!

                                I saw that in the keyboard shortcuts, but since it read
                                "Paste current Clip" I wasn't thinking along the lines of having that clip
                                repeated.

                                Thanks, Lott!