Re: [Clip] error Line 1

  • Charles M. Raine
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
      On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:27:35 -0600, Ed Brown wrote:
      >^!Goto ^$GetDate(mm/dd/yy)$;

      Your first instruction is an invalid combination of two instructions, a
      Goto and a Get function. A Goto can only go to a Label (i.e. :01) which is
      your second statement. Your ^$GetDate(mm/dd/yy)$; Statement should look
      like this:

      ^!Set %datevariable%=^$GetDate(mm/dd/yy)$

      or more specifically:

      ^!Set %datevariable%=^$GetDate(dd)$

      to pick up the day portion Only.

      This should be of some help to you.

      Charlie R.
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
        Ed Brown wrote:
        > Jody and/or any clip writer,
        >
        > Error Line 1; clip syntax error
        > <11/09/04;> Label not found
        >
        > How should this clip be written to pick up today's signature and added
        > to my email. The signatures are located C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
        > Documents\signature.txt, signature2.txt, signature3.txt (etc etc through
        > signature31.txt.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Ed
        >
        > Here is the clip as assembled by myself -- No giggling.
        >
        > ^!Goto ^$GetDate(mm/dd/yy)$;
        > :01
        > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$

        Ed,

        Reply and paste in a couple of actual examples of your signature??.txt
        files.

        Do you have a library with clips in it named, 01, 02, 03 etc.? If so,
        paste one of those also.

        hrs
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
          OK, here are some of the signatures, which incidently were copied on
          NotePad and saved as stated in My Documents as per instructions from
          Thunderbird and then Thunderbird picks up the one I want when I enter.
          If you are not aware of the instructions go to Thunderbird, Tools and
          Acct Settings and down to where you check attach this signature. Then in
          this box I have this:C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
          Documents\signature11.txt

          So on all my emails this signature saved in My Documents as
          signature11.txt appears: If you pick up a starving dog and make him
          prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference
          between a dog and a man.
          -Mark Twain

          Now if I change to signature12.txt (where signature11.txt now appears) I
          would see this at the bottom of my email messages: Ever consider what
          our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery
          store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow.
          They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
          -Anne Tyler

          And should I go back and insert signature3.txt, this would appear:
          If you don't know [your family's] history, then you don't know anything.
          You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree.
          --Michael Chrichton
          When I look at them with Windows Explorer I see this as I search for
          them Local Disk C or C:\Documents and Settings>Ed>My Documents>(in my
          Documents after folders everything appears in alphabetical order) when I
          scan down to the "si..." if find signature2.txt, signature3.txt etc
          through 31 and last comes the first one signature.txt.

          If you are not familar with Thunderbird I will send you privately a
          screen shot of how the page appears. There may be a way to send it to
          notetab clips yahoogroups.com but I do not know how to do this.

          You see in Thunderbird signatures are added very differently than in
          Outlook Express.

          This is what Jody told me to do, but I am sure I did not understand what
          he meant especially with the last part H=02
          paste:
          I just now think I see some light there. he meant H-02
          paste:signature2.txt? I need to create the new library and enter those
          to match what I sent you. Not sure how to call the new library from the
          clip that I sent in my first email on this string.

          I know how to create a new library from the combobox.
          Ed

          Hi Ed,

          You could have a Clip with all the following (through 31). You would
          also have 31 Clips with the sig for the day in each. The getDate returns
          a two digit date: dd. It would go to the corresponding label where it
          would get the Clip text for that day.

          ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$

          :01
          ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
          ^!Goto End

          :02
          ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(02)$
          ^!Goto End

          :02
          ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(31)$
          ^!Goto End

          The easiest way to do it would be make a new Library from the library
          name combobox at the top of the Clipbook Library. In a document you type
          in the following where "paste" means to paste in the sigline for that
          day. Once you get the 31 done copy all, right click over your new
          Library and choose Add from Clipboard, save and you are done with that
          part. Just build the other half and you are done. Click on the Clip and
          it should insert the sig at the cursor point.

          H=01
          paste

          H=02
          paste

          H=03
          paste

          etc.

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
            Hi Ed,

            > As near as I could follow what you said (you spoke in clipspeak
            > and I barely speak English, I only speak Texas real good)

            Charles R, is correct according to the Clipspeak I mentioned.
            Sorry, I only speak hillbilly and some GeekSpeak, no foreign (to
            America) language like Texan, TexArkansas, or TextMex. <bg>

            You only want to use the day in the Goto Clip... and no semicolon at the end.

            ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$

            >Error Line 1; clip syntax error
            ><11/09/04;> Label not found
            >
            >^!Goto ^$GetDate(mm/dd/yy)$;
            >:01
            >^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
            >^!Goto End

            Take care,
            Jody Adair

            and even thou doest err some! ;)
            http://clean-funnies.com
            http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
              Ed Brown wrote:
              > Jody and/or any clip writer,
              >
              > How should this clip be written to pick up today's signature and added
              > to my email. The signatures are located C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My
              > Documents\signature.txt, signature2.txt, signature3.txt (etc etc through
              > signature31.txt.
              >
              > Perhaps they should be place in a folder in My Documents and called from
              > within a folder named signature. I have no idea how to proceed with this
              > clip.
              > Thanks
              > Ed
              >
              > Here is the clip as assembled by myself -- No giggling.
              >
              > ^!Goto ^$GetDate(mm/dd/yy)$;
              > :01
              > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
              > ^!Goto End

              Ed,

              You already have the signatureXX.txt files in 'My Documents'. The
              method I would use is;

              • create 31 sig files as you have, begin at signature01.txt, up to
              signature31.txt, one for each day of the month including the long months.

              • setup ThunderBird to use this path and sigline message file,

              • C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\signature.txt

              • create a one line clip to run first thing each day you boot up, or, if
              you don't shut down, run the clip before starting ThunderBird.

              • this is the clip, it's only one long line;

              • H="Sigline Changer"
              • ^!CopyFile "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
              "^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"

              • the ^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$ should be the universal 'windows' path
              to your My Documents' folder, it is to mine.

              • the clip e.g., starting Nov. 10 will copy signature10.txt to
              signature.txt, replacing the previous signature.txt.

              • signature.txt is already setup in TB so TB will then automatically
              insert and use the new signature.txt as your sigline.

              You've already done the hardest part, creating the 31 numbered files in
              My Documents. I tried this out on a few sample sig files and it works
              fine. This is much simpler than trying to write 1 or 2 convoluted clips
              to insert the sigline text.

              The sigline following was inserted automatically by Mozilla using this
              method.

              hrs

              --
              hsavage@...

              signature 09 line test in Mozilla
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                Hi Ed,

                This is probably water under the bridge now, but I found it in my out box...

                >This is what Jody told me to do, but I am sure I did not understand what
                >he meant especially with the last part H=02

                You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
                Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
                not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
                for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
                following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
                for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.

              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                  Jody wrote:
                  > Hi Ed,
                  >
                  > You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
                  > Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
                  > not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
                  > for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
                  > following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
                  > for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.
                  >
                  > ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$
                  >
                  > :01
                  > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
                  > ^!Goto End

                  Hi Jody,

                  It seems your suggestion is geared toward a user that does email, as you
                  have stated, and, as I do most of my email, using NoteTab as the Edit
                  email window.

                  From all the correspondence I assumed Ed does editing, composing and
                  replying using the ThunderBird Composer. I don't recall any indication
                  otherwise. Using any complex clip method would require him building a
                  clip for switching back and forth between app's to insert the sigline
                  into the TB composer.

                  Ed's a self admitted clip novice and since he already had all the sig
                  files built I was going for the simple 1 line clip just to switch the
                  sigline file each day so TB could read and use it normally.

                  This method works well with minimal intervention from clips or user. I
                  think we've just run into a path, or, other simple problem. And, I did
                  leave a '%' sign out a clip variable.

                  --
                  hrs > havage@...

                  Sigline Test File #10 for Mozilla Mail! 04-11-10
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                    Hi Harvey,

                    Thanks! Once I saw you other pros step in, I figured you can have
                    it. :) I just had that post in my outbox and sent it in. Thanks
                    for picking this up leaving me time for other stuff.

                    ^!FocusApp ""
                    ^!IfSame "StrCopy...(^$GetAppTitle$)" "..." Next else Skip_-1

                    :)

                  • bruce.somers@web.de
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                      Jody wrote:

                      You need two groups Clips to do this. One set has 1 of 31 the
                      Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, bit why
                      not just stick to the two the date for each clip. You'll have :01
                      for the Label name. You would also have a Clip with all the
                      following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips with the sig
                      for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see is going on.

                      Is this considered to be English? It is very difficilt to read.

                      Bruce

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                        Hi Bruce,

                        Not that I usually reply to such posts, but in case you are
                        really trying to do something making a Clip like is being
                        discussed, I'll reply and just figure you are having a bad hair
                        day. :-)

                        Just a "please rewrite and make clear what you posted Jody" would
                        have been sufficient w/o the sarcastic remark "Is this considered
                        to be English?" Yes, it is considered to be English, although not
                        coherent. I do a lot of eMail so I use automatic spelling
                        checking and an auto-complete utility so unless I proof read
                        everything which I don't have the time for sometimes they don't
                        come trough clear. Sorry about that!

                        You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                        Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, but why
                        not just stick to the two digit day/date for each clip. You'll
                        have :01 - :31 for the Label name. You would also have a Clip
                        with all the following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips
                        with the sig for the day in each. Use Info boxes do you can see
                        is going on.

                        It's not going to make much sense anyway if you have not been
                        following the thread all the way. Here is a little that might
                        help it make more sense.

                        I forgot the most important part. <g> You drag the Clip with the
                        goto getdate in it to your default Clipbar, mark the Library as
                        Hidden (Open as Document - Document | Disk File Properties -
                        Hidden) and then just click on the icon you assign it when you
                        want the sig inserted. If you wanted to use a random signature
                        change the dd in getdate to ss for seconds and then you could put
                        in 60 siglines. ;) Or, you could go *real big* and use the RND
                        thing-a-ma-jigger in the ^$Calc function. :)

                        ^!Info ^$Calc(RND(100000);0)$

                        That's a whole lot of signatures to randomly choose from. ;)

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 11, 2004
                          OK Jody - I apologize for the sarcastic remark "Is this considered
                          to be English?"

                          Is the "bad hair day" remark not the same thing?

                          It is important to realize that careful typing and proof-reading
                          are essential when you are explaining concepts to people who are
                          not acquainted with them and are uncertain. Otherwise, they would
                          not be looking for help.

                          "You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                          Clips with your signatures."

                          Does "two groups Clips" then mean "two sets of clips". The last
                          sentence below suggests that. Or have I indeed misunderstood?

                          Bruce

                          ------------------------

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 12, 2004
                            Hi Bruce,

                            >OK Jody - I apologize for the sarcastic remark "Is this
                            >considered to be English?"

                            Thanks!

                            >Is the "bad hair day" remark not the same thing?

                            No, I had a smiley face behind it doing it in humor.

                            >"You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                            >Clips with your signatures."
                            >
                            >Does "two groups Clips" then mean "two sets of clips". The last
                            >sentence below suggests that. Or have I indeed misunderstood?

                            Yes, actually, you can forget the sets. You would need a Clip
                            that you would click on to insert the text you want, 31 labels in
                            it, and 31 additional Clips, one for each day with the actual
                            text to insert for the current day. The following is an
                            abbreviated example. You need to add your signature lines where
                            it says so. I put a full Library up for you. All you need to do
                            is extract the Library to the Libraries folder and add your text
                            that you want inserted. It is for 31 Clips/days.

                            http://www.notetab.net/zip/sigline.zip
                            I use a lot of similar methods in my SureWords Library.
                            http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

                            <--- Copy below this line --->
                            H="Info"
                            ; eMailed on 11-12-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
                            ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

                            ; long line...
                            ^!Info [L]Right click over combobox window where it says "SigLine" and choose "Open as Document." Edit the H="01" through H="31" Clips adding the text you want in them to insert into your document. Once completed, test by clicking on Insert SigLine. After that, drag/drop that Clip to your Clipbar and assign button if desired. Once you see it is all working correctly, you can click on Document | Disk File Properties and mark the Library as Hidden. It will not take up room on your Libraries bar that way. You'll always have easy access to it so long as you have the Clipbar that "Insert SigLine" is in/on active.

                            H="Insert SigLine"
                            ^!Goto ^$GetDate(dd)$

                            :01
                            ; This could also be used with ^$GetFileText(FileName)$
                            ; instead of building Clips using ^$GetClipText(ClipName)$.
                            ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(01)$
                            ^!Goto End

                            :02
                            ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(02)$
                            ^!Goto End

                            ; ..............

                            :31
                            ^!InsertText ^$GetClipText(31)$
                            ^!Goto End

                            H="Info"
                            ; long line
                            ^!Info [L]You would also have Clips with the ClipName being the two digit date: 01, 02, 03...31

                            H="01"
                            A signature line goes here or whatever you want inserted at the
                            cursor point on the day (01, 02, 03...31) that the Clip is used.

                            H="02"
                            A signature line...02

                            H="03"
                            A signature line...03

                            ; .............

                            H="31"
                            A signature line...31

                            <--- Copy above this line --->
                            <--- Right click over a Library --->
                            <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                            >I'll reply and just figure you are having a bad hair day. :-)
                            >
                            >You need two groups Clips to do what you want Ed. One set has 31
                            >Clips with your signatures. They can be called anything, but why
                            >not just stick to the two digit day/date for each clip. You'll
                            >have :01 - :31 for the Label name. You would also have a Clip
                            >with all the following (through 31). You would also have 31 Clips
                            >with the sig for the day in each. Use Info boxes so you can see
                            >what is going on.

                          • Julie
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 19, 2005
                              Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I ask:
                              Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?

                            • Lee Underwood
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 19, 2005
                                If you run the clip using the ESC key, you can then just tap the ESC key,
                                and hit return to re-run the clip again.

                                Lee

                                On 7/19/05 10:26 AM, Julie wrote:
                                >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                                >ask:
                                >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?
                                >

                                >--
                              • loro
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 20, 2005
                                  Julie wrote:
                                  >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                                  >ask:
                                  >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?

                                  Ctrl + Spacebar. But since you say that clicking the clip doesn't work I
                                  guess Ctrl + Spacebar is out too...

                                  Lotta
                                • Julie
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 20, 2005
                                    At 7/20/2005 04:17 AM, loro wrote:
                                    >Julie wrote:
                                    > >Don't work to click on the clip, don't want to use the incontext menu so I
                                    > >ask:
                                    > >Is there a keyboard equivalent to repeat the most recently run clip?
                                    >
                                    >Ctrl + Spacebar. But since you say that clicking the clip doesn't work I
                                    >guess Ctrl + Spacebar is out too...

                                    That should've said don't *want* to paste the clip :-).

                                    That works!

                                    I saw that in the keyboard shortcuts, but since it read
                                    "Paste current Clip" I wasn't thinking along the lines of having that clip
                                    repeated.

                                    Thanks, Lott!