Re: [Clip] Hyperlinks to run programs

  • Jelks Cabaniss
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
      Jody wrote:
      > [<file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\lijstfdcw1-
      10-04.xls>]

      > Add the <> and the file type of the file you have it in to HTML
      > Files in Options. HTML Files open when the Edit item in the
      > Windows Explorer content menu is invoked, so it shouldn't
      > interfere with anything else. I have txt, ja, and others in there
      > as well so I can <highlight this!> in my text based file types.

      Jody, doesn't work here. Adding < and > around the URL inside the
      brackets makes Notetab pass it to the browser as part of the the
      link name itself, at least when it comes to .XLS (Excel) files.
      Adding a "file:" protocol to the path & file name passes it to my
      default browser, which doesn't like "<file://foo.xls>" (note
      brackets) in its address box.

      Angle-bracketed links *do* work on NON-"file:" links, but that's
      because the linked files are being opened in Notetab, not some other
      program like Excel.

      I also don't understand -- why would you want to add Excel binary
      file types to Notetab's list of "HTML files"? I did try it to see
      if it would make the angle-bracketed linking you describe work
      with "file:" links (it didn't), but I removed it because it doesn't
      really make sense to me to view color coded binary Excel files
      inside Notetab.

      /Jelks
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
        Hi Jelks,

        >> Add the <> and the file type of the file you have it in to HTML
        >> Files in Options. HTML Files open when the Edit item in the
        >> Windows Explorer content menu is invoked, so it shouldn't
        >> interfere with anything else. I have txt, ja, and others in there
        >> as well so I can <highlight this!> in my text based file types.
        >
        >Jody, doesn't work here. Adding < and > around the URL inside the
        >brackets makes Notetab pass it to the browser as part of the the
        >link name itself, at least when it comes to .XLS (Excel) files.

        Put the arrows outside the brackets, sorry.
        <[file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\lijstfdcw1-10-04.xls]

        >I also don't understand -- why would you want to add Excel binary
        >file types to Notetab's list of "HTML files"? I did try it to see
        >if it would make the angle-bracketed linking you describe work
        >with "file:" links (it didn't), but I removed it because it doesn't
        >really make sense to me to view color coded binary Excel files
        >inside Notetab.

        You missed what I said to do. ;) No, you do not want to add xls
        the the HTML Files list. You want to add the file type that you
        have the <[...]> in, not the file you are trying to open. Adding
        them to the HTML files list only haves that file type open in
        NoteTab when *Edit* is used. You do not want to add a file type
        that you edit with something else. It's just a trick to <get this
        highlighted>.

      • Jelks Cabaniss
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
          Jody wrote:
          > You missed what I said to do. ;) No, you do not want to add xls
          > the the HTML Files list. You want to add the file type that you
          > have the <[...]> in, not the file you are trying to open. Adding
          > them to the HTML files list only haves that file type open in
          > NoteTab when *Edit* is used. You do not want to add a file type
          > that you edit with something else. It's just a trick to <get this
          > highlighted>.

          Ah, I see what you're saying.

          Do you list .txt as an "HTML file" for this?

          /Jelks
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
            Hi Jelks,

            >> You missed what I said to do. ;) No, you do not want to add xls
            >> the the HTML Files list. You want to add the file type that you
            >> have the <[...]> in, not the file you are trying to open. Adding
            >> them to the HTML files list only haves that file type open in
            >> NoteTab when *Edit* is used. You do not want to add a file type
            >> that you edit with something else. It's just a trick to <get this
            >> highlighted>.
            >
            >Ah, I see what you're saying.
            >
            >Do you list .txt as an "HTML file" for this?

            txt, ja, htm, html, shtml, js, pl, css, and others I want to open
            in NoteTab when I click on Edit from the Content (right click)
            menu in Windows Explorer (or My Computer). :) I also have Open
            with NoteTab Pro on my main content menu and any file I right
            click on I can open in NoteTab Pro. :)

            ja = Jody Adair = Joseph Adair. ( Joseph Wayne Adair III :)