Re: [Clip] Hyperlinks to run programs

  • Hugo Paulissen
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
      Jelks, (and others,)

      You can try this...

      [file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\lijstfdcw1-10-
      04.xls]

      [file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\My Documents\My
      Pictures\bl6.jpg]

      Doesn't look too good, but it works, at least for me... I'm not sure,
      but I think it depends on how your browser handles rhe URL
      file://etc.*

      Hugo
    • Jelks Cabaniss
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
        Hugo Paulissen wrote:

        > [file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\
        > lijstfdcw1-10-04.xls]

        Interesting -- that actually works! Browser prompts for "Open or
        Save", but that's OK (you can uncheck the "Always ask ..." box).

        Notetab underlines in blue everything before the first space in the
        file: URL, but that's just a color-coding issue. It still treats
        the entire string between the brackets correctly. (Out of
        curiosity, I tried escaping the spaces with %20, making it a true
        URL, but it didn't "work". That may be a browser issue though --
        only tried with Avantbrowser, an IE shell.)

        Thanks, Hugo!

        BTW, anyone know how to pull up an Outlook Contact using Notetab
        hyperlinks? This:

        [outlook://Contacts]

        *does* open Outlook and puts you in the Contacts folder, but I
        haven't found a way to actually address a contact.

        /Jelks
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
          Hi Jelks,

          >Interesting -- that actually works! Browser prompts for "Open or
          >Save", but that's OK (you can uncheck the "Always ask ..." box).
          >
          >Notetab underlines in blue everything before the first space in the
          >file: URL, but that's just a color-coding issue.

          [<file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\lijstfdcw1-10-04.xls>]

          Add the <> and the file type of the file you have it in to HTML
          Files in Options. HTML Files open when the Edit item in the
          Windows Explorer content menu is invoked, so it shouldn't
          interfere with anything else. I have txt, ja, and others in there
          as well so I can <highlight this!> in my text based file types.

          bcnu,
          jody

          I can only please one person a day.
          Today is obviously not your day.
          Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
          http://www.clean-funnies.com
          http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
          http://www.sojourner.us/software
        • Jelks Cabaniss
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
            Jody wrote:
            > [<file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\lijstfdcw1-
            10-04.xls>]

            > Add the <> and the file type of the file you have it in to HTML
            > Files in Options. HTML Files open when the Edit item in the
            > Windows Explorer content menu is invoked, so it shouldn't
            > interfere with anything else. I have txt, ja, and others in there
            > as well so I can <highlight this!> in my text based file types.

            Jody, doesn't work here. Adding < and > around the URL inside the
            brackets makes Notetab pass it to the browser as part of the the
            link name itself, at least when it comes to .XLS (Excel) files.
            Adding a "file:" protocol to the path & file name passes it to my
            default browser, which doesn't like "<file://foo.xls>" (note
            brackets) in its address box.

            Angle-bracketed links *do* work on NON-"file:" links, but that's
            because the linked files are being opened in Notetab, not some other
            program like Excel.

            I also don't understand -- why would you want to add Excel binary
            file types to Notetab's list of "HTML files"? I did try it to see
            if it would make the angle-bracketed linking you describe work
            with "file:" links (it didn't), but I removed it because it doesn't
            really make sense to me to view color coded binary Excel files
            inside Notetab.

            /Jelks
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
              Hi Jelks,

              >> Add the <> and the file type of the file you have it in to HTML
              >> Files in Options. HTML Files open when the Edit item in the
              >> Windows Explorer content menu is invoked, so it shouldn't
              >> interfere with anything else. I have txt, ja, and others in there
              >> as well so I can <highlight this!> in my text based file types.
              >
              >Jody, doesn't work here. Adding < and > around the URL inside the
              >brackets makes Notetab pass it to the browser as part of the the
              >link name itself, at least when it comes to .XLS (Excel) files.

              Put the arrows outside the brackets, sorry.
              <[file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\lijstfdcw1-10-04.xls]

              >I also don't understand -- why would you want to add Excel binary
              >file types to Notetab's list of "HTML files"? I did try it to see
              >if it would make the angle-bracketed linking you describe work
              >with "file:" links (it didn't), but I removed it because it doesn't
              >really make sense to me to view color coded binary Excel files
              >inside Notetab.

              You missed what I said to do. ;) No, you do not want to add xls
              the the HTML Files list. You want to add the file type that you
              have the <[...]> in, not the file you are trying to open. Adding
              them to the HTML files list only haves that file type open in
              NoteTab when *Edit* is used. You do not want to add a file type
              that you edit with something else. It's just a trick to <get this
              highlighted>.

            • Jelks Cabaniss
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
                Jody wrote:
                > You missed what I said to do. ;) No, you do not want to add xls
                > the the HTML Files list. You want to add the file type that you
                > have the <[...]> in, not the file you are trying to open. Adding
                > them to the HTML files list only haves that file type open in
                > NoteTab when *Edit* is used. You do not want to add a file type
                > that you edit with something else. It's just a trick to <get this
                > highlighted>.

                Ah, I see what you're saying.

                Do you list .txt as an "HTML file" for this?

                /Jelks
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
                  Hi Jelks,

                  >> You missed what I said to do. ;) No, you do not want to add xls
                  >> the the HTML Files list. You want to add the file type that you
                  >> have the <[...]> in, not the file you are trying to open. Adding
                  >> them to the HTML files list only haves that file type open in
                  >> NoteTab when *Edit* is used. You do not want to add a file type
                  >> that you edit with something else. It's just a trick to <get this
                  >> highlighted>.
                  >
                  >Ah, I see what you're saying.
                  >
                  >Do you list .txt as an "HTML file" for this?

                  txt, ja, htm, html, shtml, js, pl, css, and others I want to open
                  in NoteTab when I click on Edit from the Content (right click)
                  menu in Windows Explorer (or My Computer). :) I also have Open
                  with NoteTab Pro on my main content menu and any file I right
                  click on I can open in NoteTab Pro. :)

                  ja = Jody Adair = Joseph Adair. ( Joseph Wayne Adair III :)