Re: [Clip] Hyperlinks to run programs

  • Jelks Cabaniss
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 7, 2004
      I wrote:

      > I'd *still* like to know the secret of the START command's
      > expanded PATH environment. How does it "know" where Excel (and
      > Internet Explorer) is, when Excel (and IE) isn't in the PATH? :)

      I found it! See:

      http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/14908/14908.html

      The short answer is that anything (like Excel.exe, etc.) that's in
      the

      HKLM\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

      registry hive is part of that expanded path that both the START
      command and Start Menu -> Run knows about. The programs listed
      there are aliases to the real programs' locations.

      That doesn't really help the Notetab hyperlinking issue much, since
      invoking START means making the link look something like ...

      [cmd.exe /c start SomeFile.xls]

      ... and that's a bit of a mouthful; [excel.bat SomeFile.xls] is a
      bit better, IMO. :)

      It would really be neat if there were a way to tell Notetab
      (internally in the preferences, not via a clip): "When I double-
      click a .XLS file in a link, lauch Excel". That way, a plain old
      [SomeFile.xls] would work. Something like the Preferences dialog
      where you can add *ML extensions for NTP's color coding, except in
      this case you would add extensions and the programs to be launched
      when encountering in links. (.xls -> ...excel.exe, .doc -
      > ...winword.exe). Only useful for *binary* file formats, of course.

      And yes, I know, you can always write clips. :)

      /Jelks
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 7, 2004
        Hi Jelks,

        >... and that's a bit of a mouthful; [excel.bat SomeFile.xls] is a
        >bit better, IMO. :)

        ;)

        >It would really be neat if there were a way to tell Notetab
        >(internally in the preferences, not via a clip): "When I double-
        >click a .XLS file in a link, lauch Excel". That way, a plain old
        >[SomeFile.xls] would work. Something like the Preferences dialog
        >where you can add *ML extensions for NTP's color coding, except in
        >this case you would add extensions and the programs to be launched
        >when encountering in links. (.xls -> ...excel.exe, .doc -
        >> ...winword.exe). Only useful for *binary* file formats, of course.

        That would be nice. Actually, I think Eric should just make NoteTab
        look up the file type in the registry and open it with whatever it
        is associated with.

        >And yes, I know, you can always write clips. :)

        Yes, but I was just trying to give you a way to [c:\path\file.xls] ;)

        bcnu,
        jody

        I can only please one person a day.
        Today is obviously not your day.
        Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
        http://www.clean-funnies.com
        http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
        http://www.sojourner.us/software
      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
          Jelks, (and others,)

          You can try this...

          [file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\lijstfdcw1-10-
          04.xls]

          [file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\My Documents\My
          Pictures\bl6.jpg]

          Doesn't look too good, but it works, at least for me... I'm not sure,
          but I think it depends on how your browser handles rhe URL
          file://etc.*

          Hugo
        • Jelks Cabaniss
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
            Hugo Paulissen wrote:

            > [file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\
            > lijstfdcw1-10-04.xls]

            Interesting -- that actually works! Browser prompts for "Open or
            Save", but that's OK (you can uncheck the "Always ask ..." box).

            Notetab underlines in blue everything before the first space in the
            file: URL, but that's just a color-coding issue. It still treats
            the entire string between the brackets correctly. (Out of
            curiosity, I tried escaping the spaces with %20, making it a true
            URL, but it didn't "work". That may be a browser issue though --
            only tried with Avantbrowser, an IE shell.)

            Thanks, Hugo!

            BTW, anyone know how to pull up an Outlook Contact using Notetab
            hyperlinks? This:

            [outlook://Contacts]

            *does* open Outlook and puts you in the Contacts folder, but I
            haven't found a way to actually address a contact.

            /Jelks
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
              Hi Jelks,

              >Interesting -- that actually works! Browser prompts for "Open or
              >Save", but that's OK (you can uncheck the "Always ask ..." box).
              >
              >Notetab underlines in blue everything before the first space in the
              >file: URL, but that's just a color-coding issue.

              [<file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\lijstfdcw1-10-04.xls>]

              Add the <> and the file type of the file you have it in to HTML
              Files in Options. HTML Files open when the Edit item in the
              Windows Explorer content menu is invoked, so it shouldn't
              interfere with anything else. I have txt, ja, and others in there
              as well so I can <highlight this!> in my text based file types.

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
                Jody wrote:
                > [<file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\lijstfdcw1-
                10-04.xls>]

                > Add the <> and the file type of the file you have it in to HTML
                > Files in Options. HTML Files open when the Edit item in the
                > Windows Explorer content menu is invoked, so it shouldn't
                > interfere with anything else. I have txt, ja, and others in there
                > as well so I can <highlight this!> in my text based file types.

                Jody, doesn't work here. Adding < and > around the URL inside the
                brackets makes Notetab pass it to the browser as part of the the
                link name itself, at least when it comes to .XLS (Excel) files.
                Adding a "file:" protocol to the path & file name passes it to my
                default browser, which doesn't like "<file://foo.xls>" (note
                brackets) in its address box.

                Angle-bracketed links *do* work on NON-"file:" links, but that's
                because the linked files are being opened in Notetab, not some other
                program like Excel.

                I also don't understand -- why would you want to add Excel binary
                file types to Notetab's list of "HTML files"? I did try it to see
                if it would make the angle-bracketed linking you describe work
                with "file:" links (it didn't), but I removed it because it doesn't
                really make sense to me to view color coded binary Excel files
                inside Notetab.

                /Jelks
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
                  Hi Jelks,

                  >> Add the <> and the file type of the file you have it in to HTML
                  >> Files in Options. HTML Files open when the Edit item in the
                  >> Windows Explorer content menu is invoked, so it shouldn't
                  >> interfere with anything else. I have txt, ja, and others in there
                  >> as well so I can <highlight this!> in my text based file types.
                  >
                  >Jody, doesn't work here. Adding < and > around the URL inside the
                  >brackets makes Notetab pass it to the browser as part of the the
                  >link name itself, at least when it comes to .XLS (Excel) files.

                  Put the arrows outside the brackets, sorry.
                  <[file://C:\Documents and Settings\h.paulissen\Desktop\lijstfdcw1-10-04.xls]

                  >I also don't understand -- why would you want to add Excel binary
                  >file types to Notetab's list of "HTML files"? I did try it to see
                  >if it would make the angle-bracketed linking you describe work
                  >with "file:" links (it didn't), but I removed it because it doesn't
                  >really make sense to me to view color coded binary Excel files
                  >inside Notetab.

                  You missed what I said to do. ;) No, you do not want to add xls
                  the the HTML Files list. You want to add the file type that you
                  have the <[...]> in, not the file you are trying to open. Adding
                  them to the HTML files list only haves that file type open in
                  NoteTab when *Edit* is used. You do not want to add a file type
                  that you edit with something else. It's just a trick to <get this
                  highlighted>.

                • Jelks Cabaniss
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
                    Jody wrote:
                    > You missed what I said to do. ;) No, you do not want to add xls
                    > the the HTML Files list. You want to add the file type that you
                    > have the <[...]> in, not the file you are trying to open. Adding
                    > them to the HTML files list only haves that file type open in
                    > NoteTab when *Edit* is used. You do not want to add a file type
                    > that you edit with something else. It's just a trick to <get this
                    > highlighted>.

                    Ah, I see what you're saying.

                    Do you list .txt as an "HTML file" for this?

                    /Jelks
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
                      Hi Jelks,

                      >> You missed what I said to do. ;) No, you do not want to add xls
                      >> the the HTML Files list. You want to add the file type that you
                      >> have the <[...]> in, not the file you are trying to open. Adding
                      >> them to the HTML files list only haves that file type open in
                      >> NoteTab when *Edit* is used. You do not want to add a file type
                      >> that you edit with something else. It's just a trick to <get this
                      >> highlighted>.
                      >
                      >Ah, I see what you're saying.
                      >
                      >Do you list .txt as an "HTML file" for this?

                      txt, ja, htm, html, shtml, js, pl, css, and others I want to open
                      in NoteTab when I click on Edit from the Content (right click)
                      menu in Windows Explorer (or My Computer). :) I also have Open
                      with NoteTab Pro on my main content menu and any file I right
                      click on I can open in NoteTab Pro. :)

                      ja = Jody Adair = Joseph Adair. ( Joseph Wayne Adair III :)