Re: [Clip] Where Do I Find What Version of Windows?...

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
      Hi Wayne,

      >> Where do I look to find what version of Windows is installed on a
      >> computer and preferably the SP number?
      >
      >It doesn't give the SP number, but does give the build number.
      >
      >^$GetDosOutput("ver")$

      Yes, Alan C. sent me that one a few days ago. I think these work the
      best. I just need to find somebody on a WinME and WinNT machine
      to get the information for me now.

      ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:CSDVersion)$
      ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
      ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$

      The BuildLab appears to only be on XP machines.

      I see why Eric has a time with this between versions of Windows.
      Now, it appears MS has a full release with SP2 incorporated into
      it that does not have the ServicePackFiles\i386\ folder and
      NoteTab's Help Replace MS Notepad is working again it it. ;) I
      have to check for the existence of the
      ^$GetWinPath$ServicePackFiles\i386\Notepad.exe for account for it
      until I can get somebody to send me their CurrentVersion settings
      that have that install.

      If you don't like the weather here, hang around 10 minutes and
      it'll change. If you don't like the current Windows build, hang
      around 5 minutes and it'll change. <g>

      FWIW, in WinXP SP2, the servicepack and dllcache copies of
      notepad ahve to be renamed or removed in order to replace
      notepad. Windows can restore from either of those places.
      Furthermore, you need to get rid of the copy in
      C:\Windows\notepad.exe if you want to shut Windows up from crying
      about its beloved notepad missing. <g> In Win2000 and XP and XP
      SP1 only the dllcache has to be dealt with to the best of my
      knowledge, but I am just now getting to thos in my Clip. The Clip
      is designed to do replace/restore MS Notepad (toggle) in all
      versions of Windows.