RE: [Clip] Where Do I Find What Version of Windows?...

  • Pete Turner
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
      G'day Jody,

      > Where do I look to find what version of Windows is installed on a
      > computer and preferably the SP number? I need to use a Clip to do
      > it. If it is in the registry it cannot be a binary entry. I would
      > hope that is where I look instead of guessing a file dates. <g>

      You might find what you're looking for (on Windows 2000, at least) in
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

      Pete
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
        Jody,

        Here is a clip I started a couple of years ago.

        At least as a "data pack rat" my wife cannot complain about all the junk
        lying around! ;-)

        It at least shows where the version information is located for the 9x
        and NT variations of Windows. This one is hard-coded to do Windows NT
        variations, since that is the PC I was using. This should at least get
        you started. I recall it took me a few hours of Googling to track this
        down. I found a lot of information at sites for C++ coding. I would like
        to know how to find the SP# if you find it.

        ---------< start clip >---------
        ;07/24/2002 Larry Hamilton lmh@...
        ;Windows 95, 98 and Me:
        ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
        ;Windows NT, 2000 and XP:
        ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

        ^!SetDebug ON
        ;
        ^!Set
        %ProductName%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
        NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
        ;
        ;
        ^!Set
        %CurrentVersion%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
        NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentVersion)$
        ;
        ;
        ^!Set
        %CurrentType%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
        NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentType)$
        ;

        ;
        ;^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
        NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
        ;
        ^!Info ^%ProductName% ^%CurrentVersion% ^%CurrentType%
        ---------< end clip >-----------

        Here is a VBScript file I was working on at that time and it shows what
        version of Windows each number equals. I think this is a modification of
        something I found online, but I do not see any links. I do not have any
        notes on service packs though, but I am sure it must be in the registry
        somewhere.

        <Copy Below This Line - NOTE: The single quote/apostrophe is a VBS comment.>
        '07/24/2002 Larry Hamilton lmh@...
        'Windows 95, 98 and Me:
        '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
        'Windows NT, 2000 and XP:
        '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

        Option Explicit:Dim ws, t, p1, p2, n, g, q, cn, cg
        Set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
        t = "View Windows Version Utility"
        p1 = "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\"
        n = ws.RegRead(p1 & "ProductName")
        g = ws.RegRead(p1 & "CurrentVersion")
        q = ws.RegRead(p1 & "CurrentType")
        'cn = InputBox("Product Name", t, n)
        'cg = InputBox("Version", t, g)

        WScript.Echo "ProductName: " & n
        'If g > 5.0 Then 'Windows 2000 Test
        If g > 4.9 Then
        ' WScript.Echo "CurrentVersion: " & g & " Not Supported"
        WScript.Echo "CurrentVersion: " & n & " Not Supported"
        Else
        WScript.Echo "CurrentVersion: " & g
        End If
        WScript.Echo "CurrentType: " & q
        'WScript.Echo
        WshShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\software\Windows
        NT\CurrentVersion")
        'WScript.Echo WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\Microsoft\software\Windows
        NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName")
        'WScript.Echo WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\Microsoft\software\Windows
        NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion")
        'WScript.Echo WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\Microsoft\software\Windows
        NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentType")

        'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\software\(officeversion)\registration

        'Windows Versions:
        '¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        'Windows 9x versions:
        '¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        '4.0.950 Windows 95
        '4.0.1111 Windows 95 OSR 2 & 2.1
        '4.0.1212 Windows 95 OSR 2.5
        '4.1.1998 Windows 98
        '4.1.2222 Windows 98 Second Edition
        '4.9.3000 Windows ME

        'Windows NT versions:
        '¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        '3.51.1057 Windows NT 3.51
        '4.0.1381 Windows NT 4.0
        '5.0.2195 Windows 2000
        '5.01.2600 Windows XP

        <Copy Above This Line>

        Larry Hamilton
        lmh@...
        My Webpage

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
          Hi Pete

          >G'day Jody,

          :-)

          ^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$

          Can you tell me what that puts out for your Win2000 machine please?
          What it does get wrapped; it's one line.

          This is what my XP SP2 looks like FWIW: 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

          And the ProductName, but it doesn't tell much: Microsoft Windows XP

          You can just put that bare code into a Clip and click on it into a new document:
          ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$

          Thanks,
          Jody

          >> Where do I look to find what version of Windows is installed on a
          >> computer and preferably the SP number? I need to use a Clip to do
          >> it. If it is in the registry it cannot be a binary entry. I would
          >> hope that is where I look instead of guessing a file dates. <g>
          >

          >You might find what you're looking for (on Windows 2000, at least) in
          >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
          >

          >Pete
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Pete Turner
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
            G'day Larry,

            > I would like to know how to find the SP# if you find it.

            NT\CurrentVersion\CSDVersion

            contains a text string e.g. 'Service Pack 4' (this on Windows 2000).

            Pete
          • Pete Turner
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
              Hi Jody,

              ^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
              NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$

              gives me nothing, as I don't have that node in my Windows 2000 registry.

              ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
              NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
              ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
              NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentVersion)$
              ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
              NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentBuildNumber)$
              ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
              NT\CurrentVersion:CSDVersion)$

              gives me the following:-

              Microsoft Windows 2000
              5.0
              2195
              Service Pack 4

              Which is what appears on the winver window: Version 5.0 (Build 2195:
              Service Pack 4).

              I'll have a look on my Win XP machine when I get home tonight and see
              what I can find.

              Pete

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                Jody/Pete,

                I modified my clip to use the last three values below and get this on
                Windows XP Home SP2:

                Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 2

                The clip for the buildlab gives me:

                2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

                I reviewed my notes and found this to distinguish between XP Home and Pro:

                How to detect and distinguish XP Home Edition and Professonal Edition

                There is a value name
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions\ProductSuite.
                Its data is 'Personal' on XP home while '' on XP professonal.

                I cannot get the above key read by NoteTab.

                Here is the revised clip that I sent earlier:

                ;07/24/2002 Larry Hamilton lmh@...
                ;^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\FundWare\7.16:U)$
                ;Windows 95, 98 and Me:
                ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
                ;Windows NT, 2000 and XP:
                ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

                ^!SetDebug ON
                ^!Set
                %ProductName%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
                NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
                ^!Set
                %CurrentVersion%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
                NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentVersion)$
                ;^!Set
                %CurrentType%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
                NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentType)$
                ^!Set
                %CurrentBuildNumber%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentBuildNumber)$
                ^!Set
                %CSDVersion%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                NT\CurrentVersion:CSDVersion)$

                ^!Info ^%ProductName% ^%CurrentVersion% ^%CurrentType%
                ^%CurrentBuildNumber% ^%CSDVersion%

                Larry Hamilton
                lmh@...
                My Webpage

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                  Hi Pete

                  >^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                  >NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$
                  >
                  >gives me nothing, as I don't have that node in my Windows 2000 registry.

                  OK, that's good to know. Actually, as far as the locations of
                  Notepad.exe on Win2000 I don't think there is a difference in any
                  of the SPs, so all I need for it is ProductName. That is used for
                  Win98 also.

                  If you are still running XP SP1 or just straight XP at home (Pro
                  or Home version makes no difference, or shouldn't) I could use
                  the BuildLab if it is there and the ProductName. In XP it is
                  important for me to know what the regular and SP1 Notepad
                  locations are and how to identify them in the registry, the OS
                  that is.

                  ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$
                  ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$

                  Actually, if you could run this Clip and anybody else that wants,
                  I'd appreciate it. I'll also put it on the web, because there's a
                  few long lines. Please just mail me the results in private eMail
                  so we don't clutter up this list, or if you want to post them on
                  the ntb-NextRelease if you are on that list that is OK also on
                  Re: [NRN] Where's Notepad on XP SP2? or the same thing, but [NTO]
                  for the Off Topic list. Private eMail is fine too. ;)

                  It's online at: http://www.notetab.net/html/findnotepad.htm

                  <--- Copy below this line --->
                  H=Find notepad.* (GetHidden)...
                  ; eMailed on 10-12-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
                  ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us
                  ; It's online at: http://www.notetab.net/html/findnotepad.htm

                  ^!ClearVariables
                  ^!SetWizardLabel Windows Installation Drive Letter and choose option
                  ; long line
                  ^!Set %Dir%=^?{=_C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N}:\; %ChangeDLLcache%=^?{Temporarily change dllcache to unHidden -H==_Yes|No}

                  ^!SetHintInfo Getting Directory Information...
                  ^!Set %dllcacheAttr1%=^$GetFileAttr(^$GetSysPath$dllcache)$
                  ^!IfFalse ^%ChangeDLLcache% Skip
                  ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetSysPath$dllcache" -H
                  ^!Set %dllcacheAttr2%=^$GetFileAttr(^$GetSysPath$dllcache)$
                  ; It appears that the file attributes and some of the sort orders are broken
                  ; in WinXP SP2. SIZE and DATE are two...
                  ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
                  ^!SetArray %FileList%=^$GetFiles("+^%Dir%";notepad.*;ARSH;SIZE)$
                  ^!Set %Count%=^%FileList0%
                  ^!Set %Index%=0; %FileCount%=^%Count%

                  :Loop
                  ^!Inc %Index%
                  ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% Finish
                  ^!Set %FileName%=^$GetFileSize(^%FileList^%Index%%)$ = ^%FileList^%Index%%
                  ^!Append %Files%=^$GetPath("^%FileName%")$^$GetFileName("^%FileName%")$^%nl%
                  ^!Goto Loop

                  :Finish
                  ; The GetRegValue lines are fairly long
                  ^!Toolbar New Document
                  ^!Insert ^%Files%
                  ^!SelectTo 1:1
                  ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Sort/Ascending
                  ^!Jump Select_End
                  ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetSysPath$dllcache" ^%dllcacheAttr1%
                  ^!Insert ^p^pTotal Files: ^%FileCount%^p^p
                  ^!Insert Original FileAttr for ^$GetSysPath$dllcache\: ^%dllcacheAttr1%^p
                  ^!Insert Changed Attr for ^$GetSysPath$dllcache\ to: ^%dllcacheAttr2%^p
                  ^!Insert Current Attr for ^$GetSysPath$dllcache\: ^$GetFileAttr(^$GetSysPath$dllcache)$^p^p
                  ^!Insert Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab:^p
                  ^!Insert ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$^p
                  ^!Insert Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:^p
                  ^!Insert ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$^p^p

                  <--- Copy above this line --->
                  <--- Right click over a Library --->
                  <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                  >^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                  >NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
                  >^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                  >NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentVersion)$
                  >^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                  >NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentBuildNumber)$
                  >^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                  >NT\CurrentVersion:CSDVersion)$
                  >
                  >gives me the following:-
                  >
                  >Microsoft Windows 2000
                  >5.0
                  >2195
                  >Service Pack 4
                  >
                  >Which is what appears on the winver window: Version 5.0 (Build
                  >2195: Service Pack 4).
                  >
                  >I'll have a look on my Win XP machine when I get home tonight and
                  >see what I can find.

                  Thanks!

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                    Hi Larry

                    Yes, I got that already, but thanks much! I was hoping it would
                    be and it might be just a few differences. All know when I get
                    some more results. The lines will be wrapped and it is just for
                    writing out write now as I gather info. But, this is sort of
                    what I'm shooting for:

                    H=WinOS
                    ^!IfSame "^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$" "Microsoft Windows 98" Next else Look4XP
                    ^!Info Is Win98
                    ^!Goto VersionFound

                    ; ^!IfSame "" "" Next else Look4XPSP1
                    ; ^!IfSame "" "" Next else Look4XPSP2

                    :Look4XPSP2
                    ^!Info "^$StrCopy("^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$";6;8)$" "xpsp_sp2" Next else Look42K
                    ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$";6;8)$" "xpsp_sp2" Next else Look42K
                    ^!Info Is XP SP2
                    ^!Goto VersionFound

                    :Look42K
                    ^!IfSame "^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$" "Microsoft Windows 2000"
                    ^!Info Is w2k
                    ^!Goto VersionFound

                    :VersionFound

                  • Don Passenger
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                      the first appeared to do nothing
                      the later said simply Microsoft Windows 2000

                      > ^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$
                      >
                      > Can you tell me what that puts out for your Win2000 machine please?
                      > What it does get wrapped; it's one line.
                      >
                      > You can just put that bare code into a Clip and click on it into a new document:
                      > ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$

                    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                        Jody asked:

                        > Where do I look to find what version of Windows is installed on a
                        > computer and preferably the SP number?

                        It doesn't give the SP number, but does give the build number.

                        ^$GetDosOutput("ver")$
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                          Hi Wayne,

                          >> Where do I look to find what version of Windows is installed on a
                          >> computer and preferably the SP number?
                          >
                          >It doesn't give the SP number, but does give the build number.
                          >
                          >^$GetDosOutput("ver")$

                          Yes, Alan C. sent me that one a few days ago. I think these work the
                          best. I just need to find somebody on a WinME and WinNT machine
                          to get the information for me now.

                          ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:CSDVersion)$
                          ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
                          ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$

                          The BuildLab appears to only be on XP machines.

                          I see why Eric has a time with this between versions of Windows.
                          Now, it appears MS has a full release with SP2 incorporated into
                          it that does not have the ServicePackFiles\i386\ folder and
                          NoteTab's Help Replace MS Notepad is working again it it. ;) I
                          have to check for the existence of the
                          ^$GetWinPath$ServicePackFiles\i386\Notepad.exe for account for it
                          until I can get somebody to send me their CurrentVersion settings
                          that have that install.

                          If you don't like the weather here, hang around 10 minutes and
                          it'll change. If you don't like the current Windows build, hang
                          around 5 minutes and it'll change. <g>

                          FWIW, in WinXP SP2, the servicepack and dllcache copies of
                          notepad ahve to be renamed or removed in order to replace
                          notepad. Windows can restore from either of those places.
                          Furthermore, you need to get rid of the copy in
                          C:\Windows\notepad.exe if you want to shut Windows up from crying
                          about its beloved notepad missing. <g> In Win2000 and XP and XP
                          SP1 only the dllcache has to be dealt with to the best of my
                          knowledge, but I am just now getting to thos in my Clip. The Clip
                          is designed to do replace/restore MS Notepad (toggle) in all
                          versions of Windows.