Re: [Clip] Launch a File in Excel

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
      Thanks, Alan, for the quick reply.

      You said: <<If that is all that you want to do then only the one shell line
      should suffice (or: do it).>>

      Merely learning how to launch an application with a specific file will be a
      milestone for me. I will later want to be able to invoke it from within a
      NoteTab Outline Document.

      Using the ^$GetShort()$ function as you suggest works fine. My revised clip
      is shown below. I tried it with and without the quotes around
      ^$GetShort(C:\Utils\Graph paper1.xls)$. It doesn't matter whether the quotes
      are present or absent. I am grateful for your help on that.

      I am repeating here those of my original questions which were not addressed.

      1. Help says that ^!FocusApp requires an asterisk if the text isn't an
      exact
      match of the title bar of the application. I didn't use an asterisk, but
      ^!FocusApp seems to work as desired even though the full title is
      "Microsoft
      Excel Book 1" when Excel opens.

      2. Why does ^!FocusApp come before the ^!Shell command?

      3. The logic of the ^!IfError command looks backwards. If the
      application is
      found, no error has occurred. What error is causing the jump to Next?

      <snip>

      5. Is there a keyboard shortcut to launch edit mode when I have selected
      clip to work on? Similarly, after I save modifications to a clip, is
      there a
      keyboard shortcut to exit edit mode?

      6. I am very receptive to any suggestions you might make for improving on
      this effort.

      Thank you again.

      Ray Shapp

      ******revised clip begins on next line*********
      Launch Excel

      ^!FocusApp Microsoft Excel
      ^!IfError Next Else End
      ^!Shell "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE"
      "^$GetShort(C:\Utils\Graph paper1.xls)$"
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
        RaY:

        I am repeating here those of my original questions which
        > were not addressed.
        >

        > 1. Help says that ^!FocusApp requires an asterisk if
        > the text isn't an exact
        > match of the title bar of the application. I didn't
        > use an asterisk, but ^!FocusApp seems to work as
        > desired even though the full title is "Microsoft
        > Excel Book 1" when Excel opens.

        WAG: its implied?

        > 2. Why does ^!FocusApp come before the ^!Shell
        > command?
        >
        > 3. The logic of the ^!IfError command looks
        > backwards. If the application is
        > found, no error has occurred. What error is causing
        > the jump to Next?

        Exactly: If its found then take the ELSE branch and goto END, but if
        FocusApp fails (because application does *NOT* exist, take the NEXT branch
        and launch it.

        > <snip>
        >
        > 5. Is there a keyboard shortcut to launch edit mode
        > when I have selected a
        > clip to work on? Similarly, after I save
        > modifications to a clip, is there a
        > keyboard shortcut to exit edit mode?

        This I don't know ...

        Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
          Hi Alec & Ray,

          > 5. Is there a keyboard shortcut to launch edit mode when I
          > have selected a clip to work on?

          Not that I am aware of. There might be something shorter than this:
          Ctrl+F6 Tab Shift+F10 DownArrow Enter <bg>

          AFAIK, mouse, right click, Edit Clip is a lot shorter. :)

          > Similarly, after I save modifications to a clip, is there a
          > keyboard shortcut to exit edit mode?

          It's like any document: Ctrl+F4.

        • R Shapp
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
            Hi Alec and Jody,

            Thank you for your replies.

            I do comprehend all that you have said (and I appreciate your help). I
            discovered that all of the Excel window title text (including the hyphen) is
            necessary to avoid re-launching this spreadsheet if it is already open.

            (Note: The clip is included below my signature.)

            Do you know of a way to copy the title text of a window? I made several
            errors in retyping the title before I finally got it right.

            Thanks again for the help.

            Ray Shapp

            ********clip begins on following line*********
            Launch Excel

            ^!FocusApp Microsoft Excel - Graph paper1.xls
            ^!IfError Next Else End
            ^!Shell "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE"
            ^$GetShort(C:\Utils\Graph paper1.xls)$
            ^!Info Flow DID arrive here.^pNormal end.
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
              > Do you know of a way to copy the title text of a window?

              Ask and it shall be found :-)
              API Spy+++ http://www.geocities.com/prototype_terrizer/VBToolz.htm

              Regards ... Alec

              > I do comprehend all that you have said (and I appreciate
              > your help). I discovered that all of the Excel window
              > title text (including the hyphen) is necessary to avoid
              > re-launching this spreadsheet if it is already open.
              >
              > (Note: The clip is included below my signature.)
              >
              > Do you know of a way to copy the title text of a window?
              > I made several errors in retyping the title before I
              > finally got it right.
              >
              > Thanks again for the help.
              >
              > Ray Shapp
              >
              > ********clip begins on following line*********
              > Launch Excel
              >
              > ^!FocusApp Microsoft Excel - Graph paper1.xls
              > ^!IfError Next Else End
              > ^!Shell "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
              > Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE" ^$GetShort(C:\Utils\Graph
              > paper1.xls)$ ^!Info Flow DID arrive here.^pNormal end.

            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                Here is an oldie but a goodie from Larry Thomas. When you focus a
                program, its title bar gets copied. I use this every time I want to make
                sure I have the exact titlebar text when I work on such a clip.

                All lines begin with ; or : or ^.

                H="GetApptitle"
                ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
                ;08/21/1999, 12:12:03 PM
                ^!SetClipboard=^%Empty%
                :Loop
                ^!If ^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;11)$ = "NoteTab Pro" Loop Else Next
                :Loop2
                ^!Delay 10
                ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$^$GetAppTitle$^%nl%
                ^!If ^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;11)$ <> "NoteTab Pro" Loop2 Else Next
                ^!Toolbar Paste New

                HTH,

                Larry Hamilton
                lmh@...
                My Webpage

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Hi Ray,

                  >> Do you know of a way to copy the title text of a window?

                  ^!FocusApp *Excel*
                  ^!Delay 2
                  ^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$

                • R Shapp
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                    Hi Alec and Larry,

                    Thanks for the App Title grabbers.

                    In the clip by Larry Thomas, why is the second part in a loop (Loop2)? It
                    appears to make a copy of the title every ten seconds as long as the app is in
                    focus. Why not just grab the title once and paste it?

                    Alec, the Toolz site has the aura of evil about it. Are you reasonably sure
                    the contents are benign?

                    Regards,

                    Ray Shapp

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                      Ray,

                      The loop is if you want to grab titles for more than one program.
                      Otherwise you can cancel the clip.

                      Larry Hamilton
                      lmh@...
                      My Webpage